News of Igor Shpilband's new school | Golden Skate

News of Igor Shpilband's new school

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Novi it is and Chock and Bates are the first senior team to enroll. This isn't about rehashing the speculation. That thread lives on and serves it's purpose. I started this to ask people to post actual news of coaches, choreographers, new teams etc as Igor has begun a brand new operation, it deserves a new thread. As I stated in my post re "Igor Firedz" thread, this isn't about beating the dead horses some more. There has been a business divorce and if there is actual news, please post. 30 pages of guessing has been informative but time consuming and repetitive to get actual news. We are all very interested it seems in North American ice dance and this new school.
The FSU thread is like 50 pages and I doubt they know more than we. Same guesses from my skimming it.:confused:

Onward, Igor. Any other teams sign on? Is there any link to their website please, as that might be a source of what will be. Thanks.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just to summarize some of the possibilities, of the former S&Z school, Tobias & Stagniunas have not declared where they will be training yet. Considering that Marina has said the top 3 teams will be her big focus, I would not be surprised if they went to Igor's camp.

Additionally, Riazanova & Tkachenko and Capellini & Lanotte were both planning summer training with S&Z. Considering that the weakness of both teams is in the technical department (as in getting their levels for R&T and power of skating for C&L), they may well decide to either cancel the trip or go to Igor's camp.

Has anyone heard if either Dean Copley or Charlotte Lichtman has found a new partner? They were formerly with S&Z, and the new partnerships, if any, might choose Igor's camp.

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
Tobias & Stagniunas to stay with Shpilband - posted on FaceBook about an hour ago.

After a long and painful process, we would like to announce that we are remaining with Igor Shpilband as our coach. We will forever be grateful to Marina Zoueva for all she has given us both as skaters and people. We will miss the skaters remaining in Canton so much, we were all a family. We will always consider ourselves a team with all of them and our friendships will endure throughout these changes and long after they are over.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Division of assets comes with divorce.

Marina has not directly said she wanted to focus on the top 3 teams, has she? It's the rink management's official excuse that their priority was on the top teams.

KKonas

Medalist
Tobias & Stagniunas to stay with Shpilband - posted on FaceBook about an hour ago.

After a long and painful process, we would like to announce that we are remaining with Igor Shpilband as our coach. We will forever be grateful to Marina Zoueva for all she has given us both as skaters and people. We will miss the skaters remaining in Canton so much, we were all a family. We will always consider ourselves a team with all of them and our friendships will endure throughout these changes and long after they are over.

IMO this was a wise choice. Zoueva will have her hands full with the top 3 teams and probably couldn't handle more teams unless she finds a tech coach soon. Johnny Johns did compete in dance eons ago but he's no techie in dance. I imagine that since the Rus Fed is supporting Igor that R&T will work with him in Novi. Not sure about the Italians.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
IMO this was a wise choice. Zoueva will have her hands full with the top 3 teams and probably couldn't handle more teams unless she finds a tech coach soon. Johnny Johns did compete in dance eons ago but he's no techie in dance. I imagine that since the Rus Fed is supporting Igor that R&T will work with him in Novi. Not sure about the Italians.

Also, aren't they also coaching a pair (Yankowskas/Reagan)?

KKonas

Medalist
Also, aren't they also coaching a pair (Yankowskas/Reagan)?

Yankowskas was working with Johnny Johns since he is a pairs coach prior to joining up with Reagan. If Y&R do any work with Zoueva or Shpilband, it's probably more in the area of choreo. Igor's fiancee/wife ( I heard he married) Adrienne Lenda also coaches pairs. I wonder if she remained in Canton or joined Igor at Novi.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There is an article with Capellini & Lanotte, describing how they are working with Igor, on IN.

They will be working with his school intermittently throughout the season, while staying with their own coach.

SD music: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
FD music: Carmen

It is interesting to me that Igor called in Marina Klimova to consult with them.

Does Igor have any singles skater currently? He's no jump coach but just wondering if he has any and if there's any technical/jump coach available where he works.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Novi Ice Arena is having an open house on August 1, which is its Customer Appreciation Day. "Everyone's Invited," says the flyer.
The evening's events include "Figure Skating Exhibition from 6:30-7."
No participants are named on the flyer, but one wonders ...

ETA: BTW, for a little laugh, here's a recent tweet from Evan Bates ‏@Evan_Bates.
"Really making a reputation for myself at the Panera in Novi by showing up every day in my all black Lulu ninja/skating outfit. ‪#manofmystery‬"
6:51 AM - 12 Jul 12

Last edited:
ETA: BTW, for a little laugh, here's a recent tweet from Evan Bates ‏@Evan_Bates.
"Really making a reputation for myself at the Panera in Novi by showing up every day in my all black Lulu ninja/skating outfit. ‪#manofmystery‬"
6:51 AM - 12 Jul 12

Evan sounds like a delightful person:love: I'd certainly love to see his Ninja crossover!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Does Katia Shpilband now train at Novi? Igor was certainly involved with at least one singles' skater, his daughter Katia:

GS interview with Katia from 2009

My short program is a tango by Vanessa Mae,” she said. “My Dad always picks the music for me. We kind of both decided on the short program. I wanted something fun to listen to every day at the rink. I never did a tango before.”

“My Dad did the short program for me,” Katia explained. “My main coach, Theresa McKendry, did a waltz for my long program, but my Dad does all my footwork. He’s the expert. He doesn’t do jumps though.”

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Novi Ice Arena is having an open house on August 1, which is their Customer Appreciation Day. "Everyone's Invited," says their flyer.
The evening's events include "Figure Skating Exhibition from 6:30-7."
No participants are named on the flyer, but one wonders ...
Thanks for the heads up! Can you make it?

Does Katia Shpilband now train at Novi? Igor was certainly involved with at least one singles' skater, his daughter Katia
I don't know, but I caught a glimpse of Adrienne Lenda (Igor's second wife who is a singles/pairs coach - I'm not sure when they officially tied the knot but was told they did at some point) coaching her step-daughter Katia Shpilband during the Broadmoor Open webcast in June. For those who aren't familiar with Katia's competitive history, she won the U.S. Intermediate Ladies title in 2009-10 but has yet to qualify for Nationals at the higher levels (Novice on up). She is about 16 years old now and a second year Junior who can land triples through Lutz.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks for the heads up! Can you make it?

Sorry, Sylvia, I myself am nowhere near Michigan. :no:
I posted the information about Novi's exhibition in case someone nearby is interested ... and can share any good scoop afterward!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sylvia, that's why I'm thinking that Adrienne & Katia might be at Novi soon, if not already.

mskater93

Record Breaker
But Katia will still skate in Canton because Teresa McKendry is still there, I am sure. In case you all didn't know this little bit of trivia, the last time Alissa was relatively consistent jump-wise (before Sato/Dunjen), she was working with McKendry as a jump coach. She let her go before the 2010 season and stuck with Julie Berlin...

deedee1

Record Breaker
Anna Cappellinni and Luca Lanotte joined Igor too ( see icenetwork)

Thanks, glad to know this news! :)

btw, which top ice dancers do still work with Ms. Zazoui and Romain camp these days??? I do not remember I saw them in the kiss & cry at the recent Nice Worlds...

Anyway, BEST OF LUCK to Igor and his skaters in the new season!!! :yes::yay::party:

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
Thanks, glad to know this news! :)

btw, which top ice dancers do still work with Ms. Zazoui and Romain camp these days??? I do not remember I saw them in the kiss & cry at the recent Nice Worlds...

The most notable current teams of Muriel:-
Senior: Walden/Edwards (GBR), Myseliveckova/Brown (CZE), Silna/Kurakin (AUT), Zahorski/Miart (FRA), Emi Hirai/Marien de la Asuncion (JPN)
Junior: Papadakis/Cizeron (FRA), Elizabeth/LeGac (FRA), Rudenko/Reggiano (FRA), Robledo/Fenero (ESP) Demid ROKACHEV/Katelouise BAGNALL (GBR) (New team)
Novice: Sarah-Marinne ROUFFANCHE / Geoffroy BRISSAUD (FRA), Angelique Abachkina/Louis Thauron (FRA) New and very promising Franco/Russian alliance.
Overall the French team of Muriel is very young, there are lots of other novice/junior level teams in addition to the teams mentioned above, she looks to be in the process of rebuilding for a strong future.

Last edited: