News of Igor Shpilband's new school | Page 3 | Golden Skate

News of Igor Shpilband's new school

emma

Record Breaker
Interesting interview, thanks for sharing Doris.

A bit off topic, but I found this quote interesting:

"EV: Mao Asada came to you this summer as well?
TAT: Yes. I choreographed her free program. Then Mao came again because in summer, the ISU Technical Committee had once again changed the rules, and the program had to be changed to fit in with the new requirements. For some reason, technical committee does not consider the fact that most programs is being set in May...
I even wrote a letter to Ottavio Cinquanta about it (ISU president- EV). Including the fact that I think it is not quite right to make any changes to the rules a year before the Olympics. Incidentally, we discussed this with Irina Viner, and she told me that in rhythmic gymnastics all the changes in the rules are terminated two years before the Games. I think it is much more right.
As far as I know, the changes were proposed by a Canadian coach whose students I will not name you - just because I do not know any. I must say that I was struck by the statement explaining the need for change: "To make judging easier." If judges have so much trouble telling choreographic sequence from technical, let them stay home."

It does seem that the timing of ISU meetings and rule changes comes at a bad time for skating program prep; and I like Tat's point that changing rules in the year before an Olympics seems like a bad idea. Just wondering if others agree.

But back on topic, she also mentioned that she sent 10 lifts to Igor's camp so he could choose....Because I am still very new to dance, can someone explain why dancers are expected to change their lifts so frequently. I think I have enjoyed this, but just wondering what an insider things of all this. Also, Tat didn't mention Marina...so does that mean the latter is on her own for new lifts?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There are two issues:
1. The rules change every year. Last year's level 4 lift might be level 2 this year. Igor is the COP expert, and TAT is relying on him.
2. The kids might have trouble with the lifts TAT designed--having extra gives you a back up.
3. Dance has an unofficial requirement that to not show something new every year is bad. The choreographers, dancers & coaches all want to be "most original". You almost never will see a team recycling a program/music, unless it was one they used in Novices or something. The easiest place to show something new is in the lifts. (Since the requirement for level 4 steps is one of everything, they all kind of look the same, by and large for example. There is some originality shown in twizzles & spins, but many teams recycle these every year. Consequently, to show "originality" you have to change up your lifts.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
As far as I know, the changes were proposed by a Canadian coach whose students I will not name you - just because I do not know any. I must say that I was struck by the statement explaining the need for change: "To make judging easier." If judges have so much trouble telling choreographic sequence from technical, let them stay home."
:laugh: TaT is awesome. It's not the first time I've come across the sentiment that judges are on the one hand being given to much to do and on the other hand, not trusted to correctly assess what they are seeing, and I tend to agree.

Dance has an unofficial requirement that to not show something new every year is bad. The choreographers, dancers & coaches all want to be "most original". You almost never will see a team recycling a program/music, unless it was one they used in Novices or something. The easiest place to show something new is in the lifts. (Since the requirement for level 4 steps is one of everything, they all kind of look the same, by and large for example. There is some originality shown in twizzles & spins, but many teams recycle these every year. Consequently, to show "originality" you have to change up your lifts.
Or keep the same lifts for more than one season, but make sure they're ones that nobody else is doing (e.g. The Goose, P/B's upside down thing, H/D's reverse lift). That clearly shows that you're original and doing something difficult!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cross-posting from Skate America thread:

Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford
Ice dancers IsabellaTobias & Deividas Stagniunas (LTU) withdrew from SKAM due to injury. No replacement will be added, 2 close to event.
3:22 PM - 11 Oct 12​

wishonastar

On the Ice
Cross-posting from Skate America thread:

Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford
Ice dancers IsabellaTobias & Deividas Stagniunas (LTU) withdrew from SKAM due to injury. No replacement will be added, 2 close to event.
3:22 PM - 11 Oct 12​

Sorry to here this-they took Bronze last year at Skate America. Does anyone know what the injury is? I believe they withdrew from Nebelhorn, too!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Darn I was excited to see what Shipiland was able to do. I do feel a bit odd with the split with Zueva. I wish Davis and White went to Igor. I wish D and W would stop playing it so safe (though they try to portray themselves as fresh and new my main criticism is that they aren't all that innovative or willing to try new things or be versatile - but I do agree there is no reward for that and by being safe and comfortable they are probably the next OGM. V and M really put themselves out there more so by trying different music and such. I am not so sure that is going to reward them be cause they don't always play to their strengths.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Carmen? Is different music?
C'mon now.

Zueva does not pick different music for any of the teams she choreographs for.

Both teams, actually, try to stretch themselves, performance wise, every year. But not, particularly, with their music.

jcoates

Medalist
That's a good point. In fact, most of the champions in any discipline don't actually stay in that position because of their bold music choices. They do so because of their actual skating. Aside from Torvill and Dean (who used very conventional music choices during the first half of their career), it's hard for me to think of actual skaters on the top of the podium, who got there in part due to their music selection.

KKonas

Medalist
I was interested to see what Pechalat & Bourzat would do with a Rolling Stones FD. It was disappointing. Besides the fact that it was early in the season and skated poorly, I found that they didn't "feel" the rock 'n' music at all. I am sure it will improve technically, but as for expression, so far, it loses.

That's a good point. In fact, most of the champions in any discipline don't actually stay in that position because of their bold music choices. They do so because of their actual skating. Aside from Torvill and Dean (who used very conventional music choices during the first half of their career), it's hard for me to think of actual skaters on the top of the podium, who got there in part due to their music selection.

That's a really interesting point. And you'd think that ice dancers had a slightly larger range of possibilities in one direction at least, because they can use vocal music. I might suggest one exception, Virtue and Moir's Mahler Adagietto. I know that it was used once before, but that was such an extraordinary circumstance, Katia Gordeyeva's elegy for her husband Sergei Grinkov, that I can hardly call this music choice conventional. (In fact, at first, I was doubtful about anyone else using the Mahler, because of the emotional weight of the music's history in skating. But it was beautifully performed by V/M, and it was a breakthrough for ice dancing. Lately I've realized that since it was Zoueva herself who first used it for Katia, she might have some wishes to pursue the music further, and I've come to respect that choice.)

What's your thought on the selection used by Annissina and Piezerat for their 2002 Olympic program? The fact that it was so programmatic, almost narrative, was not usual, I think. Are you thinking that the heavily theatrical drama of it is a general trend for ice dancing?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I was interested to see what Pechalat & Bourzat would do with a Rolling Stones FD. It was disappointing. Besides the fact that it was early in the season and skated poorly, I found that they didn't "feel" the rock 'n' music at all. I am sure it will improve technically, but as for expression, so far, it loses.
I agree, it was boring and too "quiet" for being a rock program, they really don't feel this kind of music, technically good, but emotionless... Their Egyptian dance was a lot better! I don't understand those 9s for CH and IN but it was a national competition so it's ok, I hope W/P, B/S and C/L will place better than them simply because their programs are better, but I know that this won't happen... (And this is off-topic, I know! :biggrin:)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

It may be me, but I think part of the reason for that is rock and roll and ballroom tend to be oxymoronic when paired together. Soft rock or more melodic rock tends, I think, to work better, probably because the rhythms are closer to traditional ballroom rhythms.

CAS

On the Ice
C'mon now.

Both teams, actually, try to stretch themselves, performance wise, every year. But not, particularly, with their music.
''

It's different for V&M to use such a skating warhorse for their FD. Not the music itself.

We also shouldn't forget that Carmen was originally planned for the SD, it was only after skating to it that it was swapped out for the FD. Would have been interesting to know what the originally plan was, perhaps they never made it that far. I´m convinced more than ever D&W started out with Sinatra for their FD and switched in August. So the vision of these two teams have undergone some shifting around in the off season. Not necessarily a bad thing, I think D&W's switch last season to DF worked well for them.

Does anyone know what the Shibs are using for their SD? I only recall reading about their FD music. Just curious what Marina gave them if she was using Carmen and Giselle for the other two.

I´m another one who doesn't like the music for P&B. I like the Rolling Stones but I just don't think the music medley they selected is in any way interesting. Agree with the poster that rock ballads work better for skating. Pop music works better then rock music in general also. B&K's MJ FD was much better choreographed to the music, they danced to the music. P&B skate through the music but I don't think it's possible to do anything but skate through their soundtrack in a competitive program. I'm not sure they are going to get the reaction they hope with this music, for one the audience doesn't have enough time to get into one piece before it's swapped out for another. I didn't like their FD last year but they skated it very well in Nice so I guess they can do the same again.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone know what the Shibs are using for their SD? I only recall reading about their FD music. Just curious what Marina gave them if she was using Carmen and Giselle for the other two.

LOL, everyone was so busy wondering about the music for Virtue/Moir and Davis/White that the Shibutanis have managed to keep their SD completely under the radar -- even now, I believe. I'm curious too.

... Zueva does not pick different music for any of the teams she choreographs for.

Would you not agree that V/M stretched themselves with Tessa's choice of Funny Face?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
C'mon now.

Sorry you misinterpreted what I meant. D and W choose music with similar tone and style whereas V and M are willing to tryong something different to them. That's what I meant. so cmon now surely you understood. Many of the other posters seemed to be saying that earlier on :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
LOL, everyone was so busy wondering about the music for Virtue/Moir and Davis/White that the Shibutanis have managed to keep their SD completely under the radar -- even now, I believe. I'm curious too.

Exactly!!!!

Would you not agree that V/M stretched themselves with Tessa's choice of Funny Face?

Exactly!!! I concur.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Sorry you misinterpreted what I meant. D and W choose music with similar tone and style whereas V and M are willing to tryong something different to them. That's what I meant. so cmon now surely you understood. Many of the other posters seemed to be saying that earlier on :)
You don't think the dance D/W did the year they won Worlds wasn't a stretch for them? I think it was and expanded their "comfort bubble"

KKonas

Medalist

No. Other than creating a couple of new lifts, which most dancers do every year, how exactly did V&M "stretch themselves" in this typical Foxtrot and Quickstep routine? The storyline was a romance, which they have done many times before, the music was from a 1928 musical and never really memorable. They are excellent technicians, but that's not news, so what was so innovative and noteworthy?