Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 89

Thread: News of Igor Shpilband's new school

  1. #46
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Cross-posting from Skate America thread:

    Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford
    Ice dancers IsabellaTobias & Deividas Stagniunas (LTU) withdrew from SKAM due to injury. No replacement will be added, 2 close to event.
    3:22 PM - 11 Oct 12
    Sorry to here this-they took Bronze last year at Skate America. Does anyone know what the injury is? I believe they withdrew from Nebelhorn, too!!

  2. #47
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,655
    I'm sad to hear that. These events are getting rather small if anyone withdraws.

  3. #48
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,699
    Darn I was excited to see what Shipiland was able to do. I do feel a bit odd with the split with Zueva. I wish Davis and White went to Igor. I wish D and W would stop playing it so safe (though they try to portray themselves as fresh and new my main criticism is that they aren't all that innovative or willing to try new things or be versatile - but I do agree there is no reward for that and by being safe and comfortable they are probably the next OGM. V and M really put themselves out there more so by trying different music and such. I am not so sure that is going to reward them be cause they don't always play to their strengths.

  4. #49
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,655
    Carmen? Is different music?
    C'mon now.

    Zueva does not pick different music for any of the teams she choreographs for.

    Both teams, actually, try to stretch themselves, performance wise, every year. But not, particularly, with their music.

  5. #50
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,095
    That's a good point. In fact, most of the champions in any discipline don't actually stay in that position because of their bold music choices. They do so because of their actual skating. Aside from Torvill and Dean (who used very conventional music choices during the first half of their career), it's hard for me to think of actual skaters on the top of the podium, who got there in part due to their music selection.

  6. #51
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,015
    I was interested to see what Pechalat & Bourzat would do with a Rolling Stones FD. It was disappointing. Besides the fact that it was early in the season and skated poorly, I found that they didn't "feel" the rock 'n' music at all. I am sure it will improve technically, but as for expression, so far, it loses.

  7. #52
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoates View Post
    That's a good point. In fact, most of the champions in any discipline don't actually stay in that position because of their bold music choices. They do so because of their actual skating. Aside from Torvill and Dean (who used very conventional music choices during the first half of their career), it's hard for me to think of actual skaters on the top of the podium, who got there in part due to their music selection.
    That's a really interesting point. And you'd think that ice dancers had a slightly larger range of possibilities in one direction at least, because they can use vocal music. I might suggest one exception, Virtue and Moir's Mahler Adagietto. I know that it was used once before, but that was such an extraordinary circumstance, Katia Gordeyeva's elegy for her husband Sergei Grinkov, that I can hardly call this music choice conventional. (In fact, at first, I was doubtful about anyone else using the Mahler, because of the emotional weight of the music's history in skating. But it was beautifully performed by V/M, and it was a breakthrough for ice dancing. Lately I've realized that since it was Zoueva herself who first used it for Katia, she might have some wishes to pursue the music further, and I've come to respect that choice.)

    What's your thought on the selection used by Annissina and Piezerat for their 2002 Olympic program? The fact that it was so programmatic, almost narrative, was not usual, I think. Are you thinking that the heavily theatrical drama of it is a general trend for ice dancing?

  8. #53
    Custom Title FSGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2,836
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    I was interested to see what Pechalat & Bourzat would do with a Rolling Stones FD. It was disappointing. Besides the fact that it was early in the season and skated poorly, I found that they didn't "feel" the rock 'n' music at all. I am sure it will improve technically, but as for expression, so far, it loses.
    I agree, it was boring and too "quiet" for being a rock program, they really don't feel this kind of music, technically good, but emotionless... Their Egyptian dance was a lot better! I don't understand those 9s for CH and IN but it was a national competition so it's ok, I hope W/P, B/S and C/L will place better than them simply because their programs are better, but I know that this won't happen... (And this is off-topic, I know! )

  9. #54
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,876
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    I was interested to see what Pechalat & Bourzat would do with a Rolling Stones FD. It was disappointing. Besides the fact that it was early in the season and skated poorly, I found that they didn't "feel" the rock 'n' music at all. I am sure it will improve technically, but as for expression, so far, it loses.
    It may be me, but I think part of the reason for that is rock and roll and ballroom tend to be oxymoronic when paired together. Soft rock or more melodic rock tends, I think, to work better, probably because the rhythms are closer to traditional ballroom rhythms.

  10. #55
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Carmen? Is different music?
    C'mon now.

    Zueva does not pick different music for any of the teams she choreographs for.

    Both teams, actually, try to stretch themselves, performance wise, every year. But not, particularly, with their music.
    ''

    It's different for V&M to use such a skating warhorse for their FD. Not the music itself.

    We also shouldn't forget that Carmen was originally planned for the SD, it was only after skating to it that it was swapped out for the FD. Would have been interesting to know what the originally plan was, perhaps they never made it that far. I´m convinced more than ever D&W started out with Sinatra for their FD and switched in August. So the vision of these two teams have undergone some shifting around in the off season. Not necessarily a bad thing, I think D&W's switch last season to DF worked well for them.

    Does anyone know what the Shibs are using for their SD? I only recall reading about their FD music. Just curious what Marina gave them if she was using Carmen and Giselle for the other two.

    I´m another one who doesn't like the music for P&B. I like the Rolling Stones but I just don't think the music medley they selected is in any way interesting. Agree with the poster that rock ballads work better for skating. Pop music works better then rock music in general also. B&K's MJ FD was much better choreographed to the music, they danced to the music. P&B skate through the music but I don't think it's possible to do anything but skate through their soundtrack in a competitive program. I'm not sure they are going to get the reaction they hope with this music, for one the audience doesn't have enough time to get into one piece before it's swapped out for another. I didn't like their FD last year but they skated it very well in Nice so I guess they can do the same again.

  11. #56
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,810
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    Does anyone know what the Shibs are using for their SD? I only recall reading about their FD music. Just curious what Marina gave them if she was using Carmen and Giselle for the other two.
    LOL, everyone was so busy wondering about the music for Virtue/Moir and Davis/White that the Shibutanis have managed to keep their SD completely under the radar -- even now, I believe. I'm curious too.

    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    ... Zueva does not pick different music for any of the teams she choreographs for.

    Both teams, actually, try to stretch themselves, performance wise, every year. But not, particularly, with their music.
    Would you not agree that V/M stretched themselves with Tessa's choice of Funny Face?

  12. #57
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Carmen? Is different music?
    C'mon now.

    Zueva does not pick different music for any of the teams she choreographs for.

    Both teams, actually, try to stretch themselves, performance wise, every year. But not, particularly, with their music.
    Sorry you misinterpreted what I meant. D and W choose music with similar tone and style whereas V and M are willing to tryong something different to them. That's what I meant. so cmon now surely you understood. Many of the other posters seemed to be saying that earlier on

  13. #58
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,699
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    LOL, everyone was so busy wondering about the music for Virtue/Moir and Davis/White that the Shibutanis have managed to keep their SD completely under the radar -- even now, I believe. I'm curious too.

    Exactly!!!!

    Would you not agree that V/M stretched themselves with Tessa's choice of Funny Face?
    Exactly!!! I concur.

  14. #59
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Sorry you misinterpreted what I meant. D and W choose music with similar tone and style whereas V and M are willing to tryong something different to them. That's what I meant. so cmon now surely you understood. Many of the other posters seemed to be saying that earlier on
    You don't think the dance D/W did the year they won Worlds wasn't a stretch for them? I think it was and expanded their "comfort bubble"

  15. #60
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post

    Would you not agree that V/M stretched themselves with Tessa's choice of Funny Face?
    No. Other than creating a couple of new lifts, which most dancers do every year, how exactly did V&M "stretch themselves" in this typical Foxtrot and Quickstep routine? The storyline was a romance, which they have done many times before, the music was from a 1928 musical and never really memorable. They are excellent technicians, but that's not news, so what was so innovative and noteworthy?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •