Daisuke Takahashi back to Nikolai Morozov | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Daisuke Takahashi back to Nikolai Morozov

DianaSelene

Medalist
according to the reports and the fans number ,I think Russian love Johnny Weir most.much more than Dai and Lambiel,though I love Dai more...

They love him so much partly because he loves Russia and Russian fans and Russian people and Russian culture (not necessarily because of the skating). Why would they not love him?

I think Lori has a real opportunity here to create an indelible masterpiece with Daisuke. I know Lori gets crap for her ubiquitous programs, quite a few of which are not as inspired as they could be. And rightfully so. But she still comes up with amazing, genius combinations of music + skater + choreography now and then, like having Mao skate a mesmerizing piece to a patriotic hymn sung by a choir of British boy sopranos. I think Daisuke is quite possibly the best canvas for an artist at this level of competitive skating. I'm excited to see Lori make the most of it.

I agree on all counts! I think Dai and Lori could each bring out the best in the other, and if she is indeed choreographing for him, I am avid to see the result. The first thing I'll cross my fingers for is that she chooses music the way she chose for Michelle (unusual, untouched by other skaters) rather than the way she has chosen for people like Evan (warhorses that we've seen again and again). But I hope she finds something appealing and accessible, rather than music that's an automatic turn-off for judges and fans (like Tarasova's dirge-like arrangement of the Rachmaninoff "Bells of Moscow" for Mao).

Last edited:

periperi

On the Ice
Lori's choreographing Dai's programs? I hope this is true. :yay: Lori's magic really comes through with capable skaters and Daisuke is definitely one very capable skater! Hopefully she can give him programs that will make for even more exciting, attempting-to-close-the-gap competitions.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I know nothing about Morozov's private life(and don't want to), but he seems nice enough to me. Looks very dedicated to his students and the funniest(along with Steuer) to watch behind the boards. For me Leonova's SP was the second best program(after Kostner's) among the ladies' this season. Well done to perform like that and still succeed with the technical difficulties. I hope she inspires other girls to try something out of the usual/humorous in the future.

I am sure Takahashi knows what he wants from Morozov. He will take that and invent great performances together with his other coaches and choreographers, whoever they are :thumbsup: Seems like a lot of people involved though :confused:

Skaters working with Lori have great input into the choice of music, even the final decision.

A-Ha! That explains her almost split personality when it comes to music. The woman has at times been brilliant in the choice of music that is beautiful but not done to death by skaters, and then at other times she seems to be recycling from some list of "Skaters' Greatest Hits."

At her best, Nichol is inspired in the way she can find two or three pieces of music to splice together in a way that doesn't make them sound hectic or scattered. Two notable examples from among many in her collaboration with Michelle Kwan (and keeping in mind that I don't know what input Frank Carroll and Michelle herself had):

1. in Salome, Nichol begins with a small extract from Ippolitov-Ivanov's Caucasian Sketches, continues with part of a movie soundtrack--I think Miklos Rozsa's score for King of Kings--and ends with the Richard Strauss depiction of Salome's dance from his opera of the same name. Okay, the Rozsa and Strauss are obvious choices, both being about Salome, but who'd have thought of the Ippolitov-Ivanov? And the way she combined them, ending with the Rozsa, is astonishingly effective.

2. For "Song of the Black Swan," the main portion is from Dvorak's "Dumky" Trio, but the beginning is a piece actually called "Song of the Black Swan" by Brazilian composer Heitor Villa-Lobos.

So with Takahashi, I expect that there's the potential for some amazing programs musically as well as choreographically, because he's certainly not going to settle for the tried and true.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Glad to know there is still a possibility Lori will be doing his choreo! :)
Let me add some more articles:

- http://japanskates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=519#519

Though written in Japanese, this one tells you more details with lots of quotes from both Daisuke and Nikolai. After reading IN and this one, I feel much much better/calmer and am able to take this news more positively. Again, tons of my gratefulness and respect to Dai's manager for his maturity and professionalism! :yes::clap:

- http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/sp20120617f1.html

The least of my interest but Mr. Gallagher's take. He is sort of only trying to varnish over his previous story in May 2008. :p

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It would seem that Morosov might be valuable given his knowledge of Russian judges, Russian taste and just be available for input. If Dai seeks Gold in Sochi, it seems he will use many resources as it not only takes a team these days to win an Olympic gold medal, but a veritable village.

While I am no big Morozov afficionado, he has had success with Miki and Shizuka under CoP. Also with Dai, and lately with Leonova. As a former ice dancer, I know he married two or three, but don't recall which icedance teams he was credited with helping to WC. I recall Bourne and Kraatz, which was pre-cop.

Who else for icedancer were coached to glory by him? And Do V/T use him as s choreographer or coach or is that in the past?

It seems it takes a village for the top skaters to put together 2 winning programs at the world level and moreso Olympics. Consultants, coaches, trainors. choreographers. Is the JSF willing to pay whatever it takes? Patrick says his bills are 200,000 yearly. Is this typical of all the WC's?

DianaSelene

Medalist
It would seem that Morosov might be valuable given his knowledge of Russian judges, Russian taste and just be available for input. If Dai seeks Gold in Sochi, it seems he will use many resources as it not only takes a team these days to win an Olympic gold medal, but a veritable village.

While I am no big Morozov afficionado, he has had success with Miki and Shizuka under CoP. Also with Dai, and lately with Leonova. As a former ice dancer, I know he married two or three, but don't recall which icedance teams he was credited with helping to WC. I recall Bourne and Kraatz, which was pre-cop.

Who else for icedancer were coached to glory by him? And Do V/T use him as s choreographer or coach or is that in the past?

It seems it takes a village for the top skaters to put together 2 winning programs at the world level and moreso Olympics. Consultants, coaches, trainors. choreographers. Is the JSF willing to pay whatever it takes? Patrick says his bills are 200,000 yearly. Is this typical of all the WC's?

He is V/T's choreographer and "advisor". They see him a few times a year but not enough to call him a coach.

evangeline

Record Breaker

Morozov also coached Grushina/Goncharov to an Olympic bronze medal in 2006.

I doubt finances are a major concern for Daisuke. The JSF is probably the wealthiest federation in skating right now with the popularity of skating in Japan, and I'm pretty sure a top skater like Daisuke gets a lot of money from the JSF and earns even more money with all his endorsements, sponsorships and shows. I've seen Daisuke sell everything from beer, apartments to Puma sports gear, and he skates in so many shows in Japan....

skateluvr

Record Breaker
V/T are my favorite team and I loved their LP this year. I hope they become World Champs in 2013. It takes a lot of talent to choreograph all four disciplines. Coaching seems the easier job by far and if you know the system well and are well connected and on the scene for a long time, you get respect and your students get good feedback from judges via the coaches informal relationships. To find a choreographer that fits with your style is tougher, I think.

I guess it is natural that elite skaters wants to work with proven people like Lori Nichol. Sadly, I think Morozov's personal life has diminished his professional cachet in the skating world. I would love to see Marina Zueva choreograph some programs for V/T. I never tire of G/G programs, competitive or with SOI, which she was still doing for them. While the German team are amazing, I hope to see V/T getting the best music and choreographer as they could win Sochi. If they don't, I hope they continue on. It is wonderful to watch a skater or team for several years and see the development, like G/G and Shen and Zhao. As money and opportunity shrink, so does length of career. Such a pity for them and us.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Well, hopefully their relationship will work out this time, seeing they have both matured. They split up because they were each demanding fidelity from the other, basically Takahashi wanting Morozov to choose between him and Oda and Morozov wanting Takahashi to choose between Morozov and his (Taka's) agent. Now they are going to try an open non exclusionary relationship so best wishes to them. :biggrin:

Johnny Weir has said in a Chinese interview that he too will be working with Morozov. (And planning a quad in each program.)