Michelle Kwan: On Olympic Glory and Giving Back | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan: On Olympic Glory and Giving Back

This article raises the possibility that Michelle might polish off the rust from her skates and perform with Kim Yu-na at the closing ceremonies of the Special Olympics next year.

http://view.koreaherald.com/kh/view.php?ud=20120621001000&cpv=0

And here she says that she hasn't ruled out doing Dancing with the Stars. :)

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/trending/post/_/id/2970/michelle-kwan-on-dwts-life-after-skating

I found this quote interesting.

"It just doesn't come naturally to stand up and speak in front of people. And that's kind of crazy since I skated in front of thousands of fans for years," said the 31-year-old Kwan, who was invited by ESPN to be a part of the "Power of IX" Speaker Series on Thursday in Bristol, Conn. "It takes a lot of effort for me to come out of my shell. But it helps that I am interested in people."

This is quite true. Michelle does not have the natural gift of gab, as some people like Scott Hamilton do. In her public speaking assignments she has to work at it.

Off topic (somewhat), but -- is it just my imagination or does Michelle look jaw-droppingly gorgeous in the interview posted above (post 17) by l'etoile?

I think Michelle does look jaw-droppingly gorgeous in the video. And she looks happy, which adds to her radiance.

I agree that Michelle has rarely sounded comfortable speaking publicly. Even when she was a kid, she was outshone by Tara in casual interviews. Kristi Y. never sounded particularly outgoing at first, either. But one can learn that facility, though a truly charismatic public speaker is usually born, not made, I think. Scott is a great example of a natural speaker.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure Tara Lipinksi or for that matter Sarah Hughes in 1998 or 2002 were master pieces. they had some exuberance - Tara sadly looked like a little girl and her jumps weren't big - I can't describe it but when they look like a little girl they kind of jump like a colt - all legs and not the same aplitude of a woman like Josee Chouinard, Joannie Rochette, Liz Manley, Irina Slutskaya, Nicole Bobeck when she was on, Midori Ito, tonya Harding - now these ladies when on had power. Michelle has always been a class act though in a way I found her skating somewhat graceful elegance just to another tune. I wanted her to win an OGM but at least she medalled - look at poor Kurt Browning no medal at all or the Canadian version of the Susan Lucci's - ouch poor Brian Orser and Elvis Stoijko. 3 out of 4 of these OSM could have been gold and these guys always ended up on the short end. Orser was unlucky not to win against Scotty hamilton. One wonders if Scotty would have been so well received if he wasn't American. Remember Trixie Schuba ; well Scotty was a bit like that because Orser already had the musicality and the power and jumps Scotty was so lucky to win not only OGM in 84 but then at world's - clearly he was beaten in the skating portions by Orser. And despite errors in 88 orser could have won dependign on how judges ranked Boitanao andArtstiry versus technical abilities. Life is about timing and luck too.

I'm not always sure of how to start a new thread, so I'm tacking my message on to this one: it's Michelle's birthday today, I believe.

Happy birthday, Michelle! Hope you're celebrating with loved ones and are looking forward to good times in the days ahead.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Happy 32nd Birthday to Michelle!!!!!

Seems like yesterday that she was a cute ponytailedy 13 yr. old jumping bean.
I have been following Michelle's career for 19 years now, yiiikes I am getting old.

Wow, Happy birthday Michelle! You're just so amazing that there're not enough words to describe you, you know:D Have another wonderful year of your life!

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Happy birthday Michelle!!! :hb: Someone who without a doubt changed the standard of figure skating!

.......I think it's time for a marathon!!