Shen and Zhao quit stage to coach | Golden Skate

Shen and Zhao quit stage to coach

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Zhao Hongbo announced on 11 Jun that he and his wife Shen Xue would retire to coach a new generation of skaters for the country after their last performances in the "Artistry on Ice" show this year.

More

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
So exciting for them! While shows/touring is great (I will miss them!), this is the ultimate way to pass down your legacy--to share your skills/wisdom with the next generation. :yes:

emma

Record Breaker
This team/couple has had such an amazing career thus far, and it is very exciting that they are now beginning a new chapter. It will be so interesting to see how their students develop, and I really hope to see Shen/Zhao at the boards in years to come.

I loved watching this team grow and compete and change and improve and preserver and overcome so many challenges; they have a number of SP and LP that are among my all time favorites; and I do miss them so very much on the competitive scene, but their longevity and accomplishments are really the stuff of legend and of long lasting and wonderful memories. Wishing them all the very best in this new endeavor and I do hope we get reports on their students from time to time!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe they can do a few shows still but I do understand not too many shows allow you to make a living now a days. A great skating career also does not make you a great coach; though it often opens doors.

I'm glad they're staying involved with skating. Though we would love for them to skate forever, I'm sure their bodies could use the rest, and coaching is a wonderful way for them to pass down their skills and wisdom. Aren't we the lucky ones, who got to see them during their entire competitive careers? I'll never forget watching that long program in the 2003 World Championships--a banner year, with both S/Z and Kwan at their best--and their final competitive long program, at the 2010 Vancouver Games. They are not just national treasures but world treasures, one of those rare gifts that fans all over the world can admire.

Last edited:

LuCN

Rinkside
actually they can still do shows for a long time.They quite stage to coach mainly because they want to have a child now.you know,both of them are not young any more...I think it's time for them to have a new life.

btw,although they'll retire from show skating,Artristy on Ice will continues.and S/Z will be the Art director for the show. glad to hear that.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I reported this a while back. As LuCN said, they are planning to start a family, so good luck and best wishes to them.

They will be coaching the national Junior teams. I first thought it was because they were new and not going to take on the more important Seniors but now I think it may be more because of the Chinese tradition of a teacher being long term, almost parental, nurturing the students from a young age to maturity. So it is possible they may just take their students from Junior through Senior competitive careers.

Hikaru

Final Flight
This team/couple has had such an amazing career thus far, and it is very exciting that they are now beginning a new chapter. It will be so interesting to see how their students develop, and I really hope to see Shen/Zhao at the boards in years to come.

I loved watching this team grow and compete and change and improve and preserver and overcome so many challenges; they have a number of SP and LP that are among my all time favorites; and I do miss them so very much on the competitive scene, but their longevity and accomplishments are really the stuff of legend and of long lasting and wonderful memories. Wishing them all the very best in this new endeavor and I do hope we get reports on their students from time to time!

ITA with you. Shen and Zhao are unique, and they are a team that has worked very, very hard to get where they are today. I'm going to miss seeing them, but I have tons of memories of the wonderful programs they presented through the years. I am sure they will be able to give many good advuces to their student and I look forward to seeing them behind the boards.

I reported this a while back. As LuCN said, they are planning to start a family, so good luck and best wishes to them.

They will be coaching the national Junior teams. I first thought it was because they were new and not going to take on the more important Seniors but now I think it may be more because of the Chinese tradition of a teacher being long term, almost parental, nurturing the students from a young age to maturity. So it is possible they may just take their students from Junior through Senior competitive careers.

Ooh, that's a great thought. I hope that's what happens in the long run.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nice compliment for Shen and Zhao tweeted by Johnny Weir:

Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir
"Great final show tonight in Shanghai! I am so honored to have performed in the final show of Xue and Hongbo. They made me love pair skating."
7:50 AM - 17 Jun 12​

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Xue and Hongbo have for several years expressed gratitude for the support they had received and the desire to pay back by doing the same for the next generation of Chinese skaters. A couple of years ago, they actually identified a Taiwanese girl as a talent and mentored her. I saw a picture of them.

deedee1

Record Breaker
http://www.osports.cn/photo.do?photoId=5594163&bagId=650074

This picture is so heart-warming. I hope they receive another vow from the next generation they'll be teaching and caring about.

Thank you so mcuh for the lovely pic. :) It's one of wonderful traditions in Asian countries for centuries to respect and admire elders for their seniority, greatness and intellect. :yes:

This is probably my most favorite performance out of many many great memorable performances by this true champion Shen and Zhao among many great champions in this sport:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFOsLcJkHeM

2003 Worlds in Washington D.C., US. :love: They skated such a perfect and breathtaking Free while Shen was fighting through pains on her injured right knee AND ankle. What a warrior she was!

Yeah, Deedee1; that's my favorite too. That small lift at the beginning, where he just takes her and turns her in his arms, has such tenderness. They have a radiance and a maturity about them compared to nearly all of their rivals, at least after 2002. It's interesting to me that there's not a great size differential between them. During this program, Dick Button says that Zhao is 5'9" and Shen is 5'3", which makes them look very compatible. Shen doesn't look like a half-starved child skating with a grown man. They look like a woman and a man, which makes the emotional content of their programs even more convincing.

noskates

Record Breaker
Next to Gordeev and Grinkov, Shen and Zhao have been my favorite pairs skaters. Her metamorphisis was astounding as was the development of their presentation skills. She's so graceful and beautiful and his strength compliments her. I wish them well in their coaching career and think it's great that they're giving back to their country and their skating federation. Turandot was a masterpiece. Does anyone know who choreographed it?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Same here. I was impressed with Shen & Zhao ever since they did their "Mt. Olympus" program back in 1998. Their bronze medal in Torino was a "golden" moment for me, and of course, I was ecstatic that they finally won gold in Vancouver. We were so lucky to see them compete @ 2003 Worlds in Washington, DC. That performance was one of the most memorable ones we've ever seen in any discipline (plus a little bonus. We were sitting in that section with a "sea" of Chinese flags, and were among those standing before they finished their program. I got in the video - it looks like I'm wearing a white sweatshirt, and am holding up a 6.0 sign, jumping up & down like crazy :laugh:). Seriously, I :love: this team to pieces!

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

Like Olympia I like this thought. Anyone knows the truth? If I were a coach I would love to do it this way. BUT! You never know... all of a sudden my pupils would leave for top coaches in North America :p

No,it was Lea Ann Miller

Yes. I believe Lea Ann was the first Western coach they went to when they realized that they needed to boost their artistry in order to compete with Russian and other skaters. They, and we their fans, owe Ms. Miller a lot. I think she has also choreographed for Yuka Sato, at least in Yuka's professional years.