Japan Open June 2012 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Japan Open June 2012

deedee1

Record Breaker
You can't count out Plushenko in any competition.

I agree on this...however,

But I'm sure Patrick or Daisuke will win this time.

My bet is Patrick and Takahiko, instead of Daisuke.

Thanks Blue :), but team events and cheesy-type competitions in the early season (before Grand Prix season, I mean) have never been Dai's cup of tea. IIRC, he did not have even 'decent' skates at almost every Japan Open. Especially JO in spring 2008 was a total disaster right after the split with Morosov, you know...:sarcasm:
Even at the recent WTT this spring, AND even though he DID have a great SP skating to In the Garden of Souls, most of his fans, me included, were sort of 'prepared' to witness he might bomb in the LP. ;)

"Therefore our goal is not now to win and crush his opponents"

:laugh: That's the Mr. Mishin I love!

'Night, everyone! :)

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If Plushenko could beat everyone except Chan, it will be awsome! Now Chan has all the jumps that Plushenko has and more on PCS, I don't think Plushenko's clean program could beat Chan's flawed program if Chan doesn't fall two or three times.:p

Chan must have two quads, one in combo, in his program. Plushenko will only have one quad if he chooses to put quad in there this time. There is a chance that Plushenko will only do two 3As but no quad. Kozuka, Takahashi, and Brezina will have one quad in their programs. Brezina will have two quads later in the season, I believe. Buttle doesn't have quad. None of these skaters are expected to skate clean at this stage except Plushenko and Buttle.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
If Plushenko could beat everyone except Chan, it will be awsome! Now Chan has all the jumps that Plushenko has and more on PCS, I don't think Plushenko's clean program could beat Chan's flawed program if Chan doesn't fall two or three times.:p

Chan must have two quads, one in combo, in his program. Plushenko will only have one quad if he chooses to put quad in there this time. There is a chance that Plushenko will only do two 3As but no quad. Kozuka, Takahashi, and Brezina will have one quad in their programs. Brezina will have two quads later in the season, I believe. Buttle doesn't have quad. None of these skaters are expected to skate clean at this stage except Plushenko and Buttle.

We have to wait four days. So exciting!:yes: If Chan falls twice,but Plushy's program will be error-free with a quad or quad combo, however, Chan will win, there will be tremendous outrage!! Won't be good for the figure skating!

janetfan

Match Penalty
We have to wait four days. So exciting!:yes: If Chan falls twice,but Plushy's program will be error-free with a quad or quad combo, however, Chan will win, there will be tremendous outrage!! Won't be good for the figure skating!

In this case it is a pro-am type of event so not sure how much"outrage" there will be.

No one got too upset when Rippon deservedly won the Japan Open... ... :laugh:

But "Chan the fan killer" needs to win by skating better by standards still more accepted than by the quirky greatness of the CoP - which too many fans still don't understand - accept - or appreciate.

Let the one who skates best win - it could be Brezina - a terrific skater when he is on......

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
In this case it is a pro-am type of event so not sure how much"outrage" there will be.

No one got too upset when Rippon deservedly won the Japan Open... ... :laugh:

But "Chan the fan killer" needs to win by skating better by standards still more accepted than by the quirky greatness of the CoP - which too many fans still don't understand - accept - or appreciate.

There will be, I'm sure, I remember Nice...

Of course,Rippon won deservedly as you said, no one got upset.

Chan? I can't see his greatness, I can't see why he is better than for example Dai. But I'm sure, that isn't good for figure skating, if the crowd doesn't understand the results.

janetfan

Match Penalty
There will be, I'm sure, I remember Nice...

Of course,Rippon won deservedly as you said, no one got upset.

Chan? I don't understand the COP, I can't see his greatness, I can't see why he is better than for example Dai. But I'm sure, that isn't good for figure skating, if the crowd doesn't understand the results.

I was kidding about Rippon - the GS board exploded when he won the JO.

But in N. America 99.9% of the people had no idea.

BTW, I really like the Japan Open and wish Skate America would tell Cinquanta to take a flying leap and we could turn SA into a Pro-am type of event.

Skate America used to be so much bigger and it is quite obvious Americans don't give a hoot about the Grand Prix series.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I think that Plushenko won't try the quads, it's too early in the season, his first "normal" competition will be Russian Nationals, and it's almost three months from now... But if he skates clean with two 3As and high PCS, he can score 160+, but if Chan lands two quads (regardless of the GOE), a 3A and 3-4 triples in the second half of the program, he can easily go over 165... It will be the first time for Dai trying two quads since 2008, so he won't probably be successfull, he never skated really well at JO the last times he competed there! Kozuka can be either superbe or a disaster, like Brezina, they are question marks for me... :think: What a wonderful event it will be! :popcorn:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Why? I don't understand..I remember,his scores was too high, but he was flawless..and quadless..and too feminine for me..:biggrin: I remember wrong? I wasn't surprised after Vancouver.:biggrin:

Who should have won? According to you... :confused:

Feminine? Didn't Yags and other boys training with Mishin at the time use to tease Plushy about his "feminine" catch foot spin and spiral? :p

I thought Rippon won it because he skated well and the others did not.

My point was there was outrage at GS from quite a few posters who all thought their favorite should have won.

Personally I don't care who wins the JO - and if we see some new programs and good skating that is more than enough.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Feminine? Didn't Yags and other boys training with Mishin at the time use to tease Plushy about his "feminine" catch foot spin and spiral? :p

Yes, I know. But I don't think, that Plushy's style would be feminine, he was very flexible, because of the hard stretching.

willywonka

Rinkside
Move over Russian God. It's JAPAN. The Japanese Gods will rule in Japan Open.;) Team Japan will roll over Team North America and Team Europe. :biggrin:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
European entry aside from Zhenya is a snooze fest :disapp:
I wanted Joubert on the list also

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Move over Russian God. It's JAPAN. The Japanese Gods will rule in Japan Open.;) Team Japan will roll over Team North America and Team Europe. :biggrin:

No, Russian God will be in our heart forever... But you are right, new fans, new Gods.... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h53_qvQjNM
"How wonderful life is..while you are in the world.."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_STnOk9_EQ
"Tribute to Evgeni Plushenko who made my world a better place"
"Just a sign of love for the man who makes my lifetime a long and beautiful dream........."

LOL!

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

Actually, in the long run, it might actually be best if this happens. We know Plushenko won't be silent about it, and it might trigger some change.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
If Plushenko lands more quads than Chan, he will win, because Chan's wins come from the quad. Even though Chan actually would get less of a PCS advantage than he deserves for once.
If Chan wins on the quad when he falls and Plushenko does not, Plushenko will have noone to blame but himself.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

I don't think this will happen. I think Chan will have two quads as usual. If one quad falls, he has another quad to match any of the skater's one quad skate. If he falls on both quads which he has never done before ever since he put quad into his arsenal, or Chan falls on one quad and one or more other jumps, and also if, a big if here, Plushenko has a quad in his program and if he skates his program clean with a quad, we will not see Chan placed in front of Plushenko.

I think Plushenko won't get first this time is because he didn't plan to risk his body by going all the way out at some pro-am pre-season event. That was what Mishin has hinted - he won't. Plushenko comes here to make a statement. That's it. He did not plan to crush anyone.

It's very likely that Chan won't skate clean. If Chan has two quads and falls twice, will it be enough against Plushenko's quadless clean skate? That's what I'm curious to see.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Since MEDAL WINNERS OPEN is a new event, the supposed rules look like that:
http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=3580

The innovation to be tried out in accordance with ISU Rule 367 is to conduct an Open competition with an ISU free skating program only. The required elements for this program will be modified as follows:
- A well balanced program with emphasis on artistic merit will be performed by each competitor.
- The program duration will be 3 minutes and 30 seconds +/- 10 seconds for men and 3 minutes +/- 10 seconds for ladies.
- Competitors should perform (3) jumps of double or more rotations. One of which can be a combination of (2) jumps or a sequence of any number of jumps. If a sequence is performed, the 2 most difficult jumps will be counted.
- Any 3 spins but with different abbreviations
- (1) choreographic sequence
- Any music including vocal can be used
- Theatrical lighting of performances will be allowed
- No free standing props such as a chair, table or piano will be allowed but carried or worn props such as a hat, cape, sword, cane, umbrella, etc. will be allowed.
- Judging panel will consist of (9) ISU judges

Th progs of skaters have not been officially announced I assume. Earlier Kurt said he is planning to skate "Singing in the rain", Honda- remake of one of his amatuer progs (Tosca?), Shizuka twittered hat she is planning to skate Swan :)bang:), Yag- that he tried to do jumps but figured out that health is more important. :rolleye:

I'll be there tomorrow. :popcorn: