Japan Open June 2012 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Japan Open June 2012

NMURA

Medalist
Gold is going. Nagasu is not a logical choice at all - she totally tanked Nationals. I could understand if you said Zhang (bronze 4CC) over Gold...

Your nationals doesn't matter at all. Popularity in Japan matters. Wagner is invited only because she's the highest NA finisher at senior worlds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Your nationals doesn't matter at all. Popularity in Japan matters. Wagner is invited only because she's the highest NA finisher at senior worlds.

Wagner and Gold were the two highest NA competitors in the WTT, which took place in Japan.

Nagasu was coachless at the end of last season, and there's no guarantee she would be in competition shape by early October. She had a lackluster 2011-2012 season and would need tremendous improvement to be competitive enough for the JO.

Hanaka

Rinkside
In past cases, it seems the criteria for JO invitations are (1) placements at senior worlds and/or (2) polularity in Japan. Gold is absolutely not an obvious choice. I don't think they would invite her without some kind of "hard sell" from the US. Since Czisny and Canadians are out of question, Nagasu is the most obvious choice after Wagner. But if they had "cancelled" Gold's invitation, the most likely case is that Rochette is agreeing to participate JO and the negotiation is under way.

According to YOUR theory, why was Tuktamysheva invited last year? Gold has already made her debut in Japan at WTT this spring and she is now well-known to Japanese fans. Wagner has competed in Japan a few times and she has fanbase here. IIRC Tuk had never competed in Japan before last JO, she only participated in a show. I'm sure Wagner is much more well -known and popular here than Tuk last year. Was she somebody's substitute?

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
According to YOUR theory, why was Tuktamysheva invited last year? Gold has already made her debut in Japan at WTT this spring and she is now well-known to Japanese fans. Wagner has competed in Japan a few times and she has fanbase here. IIRC Tuk had never competed in Japan before last JO, she only participated in a show. I'm sure Wagner is more well -known and popular here than Tuk last year. Was she somebody's substitute?
I can't speak for NMURA's theory, thanks god. But Liza wasn't originally invited for JO last year. Sarah Meier was on the list. Liza was supposed to be in the COI only. But at the last moment Sarah said that she couldn't compete due to injury, so the organizers simply used the first opportunity at their hand- Liza, which in fact ended up very well for everyone. Yes, last year she was a substitute.

NMURA

Medalist
According to YOUR theory, why was Tuktamysheva invited last year? Gold has already made her debut in Japan at WTT this spring and she is now well-known to Japanese fans. Wagner has competed in Japan a few times and she has fanbase here. IIRC Tuk had never competed in Japan before last JO, she only participated in a show. I'm sure Wagner is more well -known and popular here than Tuk last year. Was she somebody's substitute?

ET was invited as an EX skater, most likely a bonus of the Mishin family (Plushenko and Gachinski). Her participation to JO was announced just 12 hours before the competition as a replacement of Sarah Meier. Anyway, she might be given a notice several days before that. Gold could be invited as a COI cast in the case any NA lady withdraws. Adrian Schulheiss was invited for COI before and ended up replacing Plushenko.

NMURA

Medalist
Wagner and Gold were the two highest NA competitors in the WTT, which took place in Japan.

Nagasu was coachless at the end of last season, and there's no guarantee she would be in competition shape by early October. She had a lackluster 2011-2012 season and would need tremendous improvement to be competitive enough for the JO.

Japan Open is held for the Japanese general public (not even figure skating fans) as one of many fund-raising events of the JSF. Sorry, they don't give a damn about what American "fans" want to see. Most of the participants don't give good performances in this early season event. It's more like a premiere show of new programs.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I kind of miss the day when Japan Open was a professional competition only. I think it was held in a series, with the Japan Open, the US Open, and the Canadian Open. It was like a grand prix for the pros.

Gold is absolutely not an obvious choice. I don't think they would invite her without some kind of "hard sell" from the US.

It does seem quite likely that the USFSA pushed Gracie Gold for the invite. Pure speculation, but the organizers might have inquired about Mirai and concluded that she was't prepared for this competition. Maybe they can sell Gracie as the next big thing from North America.

Kunstrijdster

Rinkside
I kind of miss the day when Japan Open was a professional competition only. I think it was held in a series, with the Japan Open, the US Open, and the Canadian Open. It was like a grand prix for the pros.

Has it ever been a pro-only competition? I remember it being pro-am from the beginning on, although it became less pro and more am over the years. :)

Japan Open is held for the Japanese general public (not even figure skating fans) as one of many fund-raising events of the JSF. Sorry, they don't give a damn about what American "fans" want to see. Most of the participants don't give good performances in this early season event. It's more like a premiere show of new programs.

Still, it's hard to imagine that the organizers want skaters to bomb at this show, or that they want to invite skaters that they think, based on recent past performances, will skate poorly.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

Wasn't it the Grand Slam?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Still, it's hard to imagine that the organizers want skaters to bomb at this show, or that they want to invite skaters that they think, based on recent past performances, will skate poorly.

That's why they invite the highest ranking current competitors. Poor recent performances will likely not put the skaters at the top. The pros will likely give reliable performances whereas the top current competitors draw on star power as well as curiosity for their new programs which skating fans are anxious and excited to see unveiled.

eta Since figure skating is popular in Japan, I think the federation organizes invitational events to have international stars for the fans and public, else they would have only NHK plus an occasional GPF, 4CC, or Worlds.As well, NHK usually precludes other Worlds medalists since Japan usually has at least one medalist these days. This way Japanese fans get to see their national best compete with international best right in Japan. Good cash sources for the Japan Federation.

Last edited:
Trivia question. What former world champion has competed in the Japan Open in both singles and pairs?