Japan Open June 2012 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Japan Open June 2012

seniorita

Record Breaker
I just saw Mao Lp and I m speechless, her last sequence is one of the best ones i ve seen, I havent enjoyed this Mao a long time now, her swan is fresh and not the usual stuff at all, by far her best program since 2008. I love it!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I just saw Mao Lp and I m speechless, her last sequence is one of the best ones i ve seen, I havent enjoyed this Mao a long time now, her swan is fresh and not the usual stuff at all, by far her best program since 2008. I love it!

I agree! It makes me happy to see her getting most of her jumps back and that she was able to deliver a good program without any major errors. She looks like she is still getting used to the program so I think her PCS will improve over time. I was also pleased to see she had put on a little more weight. She looks much stronger than at the end of last year.

doctor2014

On the Ice
Patrick has the best program at this competition. I usally think Daisuke has better artistry than Patrick, but this time it’s shockingly the other way around. Patrick’s FS is really well choreographed and it helps his interpretation.

Ugh... I didn't really care for Dai's FS. It felt very Morozovy in all the wrong ways.
Glad to see him go for two quads though.
I think Dai skated really well but that program is lacking, in choreo and charisma.
I agree. Daisuke’s program is really not well choreographed, especially compared to Patrick’s program and Daisuke’s own programs last season. The program is a little empty, and Daisuke’s not showing the right emotions needed to skate to Pagliacci, e.g., near the end there was a part he went crazy or something. I remember Morozov advised him to express feelings more abundantly while skating his FS, and some people worried this could make his program feel really over the top. Well, it turned into reality—Daisuke kinda went over the top. :disapp:

I hope next season boring choreographers such as Morozov and Nanami Abe will stop messing with Daisuke’s programs and Daisuke will go back to good choreographers such as Miyamoto and Camerlengo. His SP this season is not that good, either. I’m a little worried now.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Patrick has the best program at this competition.

You saw Patrick's skating as well? Oh, I'm so looking forward to seeing it. Maybe I won't be so shocked as I've already known that he fell four times. So I could ignore the falls and enjoy his skating like I've enjoyed his performance at last year's Japan Open.

janetfan

Match Penalty
You saw Patrick's skating as well? Oh, I'm so looking forward to seeing it. Maybe I won't be so shocked as I've already known that he fell four times. So I could ignore the falls and enjoy his skating like I've enjoyed his performance at last year's Japan Open.

Anything is possible -so am sure you can enjoy it as much as some others have ;)

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Love what Mao brought at this competition. I saw the confidence on her face at the start. She has so much more power than last season and I think it's more than from the few pounds of muscles she has gained. The energy that is her essence is back in her. I've admired her determination and tenacity and believed she would overcome all the adversaries from the last couple of years. So I am really happy to see her on the JO ice. At this time, it seems everybody still has much to work on, whether on the techniques or the choreography; so far Mao's program and performance seem to be the closest to the complete package.

emma

Record Breaker
Just watched Dai and Mao and liked what I saw - strong start to the season for both of them! Thanks so much for all of you who have posted videos and commentary!!!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is pre season and we get to see the raw new programs and probably the skaters' current states of mind, just a glimpse into the possibilities and what each skater needs to work on.

Both Asada and Takahashi need to work on rotating their jumps. Zadwadski as well. I believed Kozuka would be back up this season and am encouraged by his performance but discouraged by his PCS. Why so low?! :bang: Chan seemed to have lost his landing though he fully rotated his big jumps but popped the last two, likely due to physical or mental exhaustion by then. He is reported to have said that though highly motivated on arrival, he didn't feel well when he stepped on the ice and it was one of those days when he felt powerless at the chain of bad things happening.

Great job by Wagner though Mao would have won with a credited spin. The Russian Ladies popped jumps. Five of the six Ladies have edge calls.

I think they all should feel good about this pre season opportunity to put out the programs for judges and public feedback.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
6 Chan 137.42
4T(fall) 4T(fall) 3Lz 3A(fall) 3Lo 3Lz(fall) 2F 1A
Beautiful.
Or, you know, disappointing but if he had to have a meltdown, glad it was here (really, though, this remark is beneath you)

It was a tasteless remark, suitable for the tasteless judging system and tasteless judges who let inflation happen. I'd just like to think of it as cosmic karma and hopefully it means things can be more in balance from now on. Chan is already going to get a huge home-field bonus at Worlds this year.

herios

Medalist
Yes, it is a more serious program - but still I couldn't take my eyes of him.

I liked Dai's new LP alot....but we all have different taste.

So did i. I don't know what Skatefiguring is talking about, what "charisma" do you need from him for such a dramatic piece?

It certainly had it's effect on me, got goosebumps all over and gave a SO at the end!

Well done Dai!

evangeline

Record Breaker
Daisuke’s not showing the right emotions needed to skate to Pagliacci, e.g., near the end there was a part he went crazy or something. I remember Morozov advised him to express feelings more abundantly while skating his FS, and some people worried this could make his program feel really over the top. Well, it turned into reality—Daisuke kinda went over the top. :disapp:

Wait--isn't going crazy the right sort of emotion needed to skate to Pagliacci? Because the protagonist Canio the clown definitely goes crazy at the end of Pagliacci when his mind detaches from reality and he ends up stabbing his wife and her lover onstage...

That said, I'm not a fan of Daisuke's Pagliacci. IMO, La Strada, Blues for Klook and even Invierno Porteno >>>> Pagliacci.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It was a tasteless remark, suitable for the tasteless judging system and tasteless judges who let inflation happen. I'd just like to think of it as cosmic karma and hopefully it means things can be more in balance from now on. Chan is already going to get a huge home-field bonus at Worlds this year.

I must say, I like Chan but it is a bit ridiculous for a judge to give a PE score of 9.5 for a program with 4 falls.

Trewyn

Medalist

Thanks!!

Buttle: incredible!

Kozuka: glad to see him landing things! I like Rondo for him, but it's not the most original music he's ever skated to.

Chan: painful! I wouldn't call it a 'meltdown' this early in the season, but it sure wasn't prettyL. I liked the music, though.

Plushy: I was distracted that he was skating to Rondo (same as artistic Kozuka!) in what looked like some kind of swan costume untile Saint-Saens 'The Swan' came on. And then Danse Macabre! That really was an interesting mix! I liked last years' program better, though.

Akiko: looooove the dress, not sure about the music.. West side story, fiddler on the roof and Fledermaus were much more upbeat and I think they suited her better. Though there's some lovely moments in the program!

Mao: not a very original dress but it is an original take on 'Swan Lake' - very pleasant to watch and good to see her happy!!

Ashley: I neither love or hate the dress (yet), but it will be easy to spot her during warm-ups ;) And I love the white boots, first time I see her skate competitively without over the boot tights! I always thought over the boot tights make your legs look longer, but I actually thought Ashley looked taller. But it could also be the colour or the style of the dress.
I really like the music; it's bubbly and interesting, it it calls for personality and I think Ashley could really grow into this choreo, embody the character even more. Loved the Charlotte-spiral and the spreadeagle into 3L!