Japan Open June 2012 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Japan Open June 2012

seniorita

Record Breaker
Thanx for video Plushyfan!
Daisuke and Mao are the highlights, just for Daisuke he has had innovative costumes in the past (example La Strada), but this is a Johnny Weir one from the olden days.
I really like Ashley program and costume color, the design could be better but overall thats a great program. Akiko 's program can be great and the music is unique! Leonova's costume and program I didnt like, I think I like her sp better. Elena G I dont know yet! Buttle should come back.

Bahh I was expecting a more spectacular fall from Plush, that was not a good one. If you are going to fall on a 2A, fall with style!

Kozuka will never change a style of skating, but it is so magical to watch him skate.

Chan's choreo is light and fast, from everything I ve seen of him, this style suits him better.

emdee

Final Flight
seniorita,
I am a PC fan but you know the best faller is PC. He falls and gets up in one motion as though its part of the choreo. I wonder whether they are taught to do that.

janetfan

Match Penalty
seniorita,
I am a PC fan but you know the best faller is PC. He falls and gets up in one motion as though its part of the choreo. I wonder whether they are taught to do that.

Sasha was another "expert" at falling and getting up quickly.

As the saying goes, "practice makes perfect" :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I must say, I like Chan but it is a bit ridiculous for a judge to give a PE score of 9.5 for a program with 4 falls.

I, OTOH, think his PCS is underscored but that probably reflected the effects of the falls, from which he got up very quickly. Patrick did not look well at all from the starting pose and after the skate. But he still went for the big jumps with full gusto until he really ran out of steam. For his effort, the result was fair. As I said before, this competition gave us a glimpse into the possibilities, and I see great possibilities with Patrick's new program, which he performed extremely well outside of the jumps, landing in particular.

Great job from David Wilson and Patrick Chan. I have a lot to look forward to.

emdee

Final Flight
I too felt he looked rather wan at the beginning.

I think the choreo is wonderful. Very different from a Lori program but no less wonderful. He has really learnt to express his emotions. As he told us last year this year is a year of experimentation for him and the results may or may not be good and what the fans want. I hope he keeps this program two years. I know people hate that but because his programs are so full he needs time for his body to learn it.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Thank you!! :popcorn:
Mao: perfect program! I just LOVE it, it's perfect for her, she's a SWAN ON THE ICE, the best swan lake in ladies since cohen (and the choreographer is the same! :biggrin:)
Ashley: hmmm... I like her jumps, but her spins were shaky and I don't like yellowe dresses in general... The program looks more mature but less fascinating than last year's... We'll see how she can develop it...
Akiko: she had a rough skate, but the program is good! But I still prefer The Bat...
Alena: :bang::no:
Dai: the program looked a bit lifeless, but it's good, and he's landing 4Ts at the beginning of the season! :eek:

bekalc

Record Breaker
It was a tasteless remark, suitable for the tasteless judging system and tasteless judges who let inflation happen. I'd just like to think of it as cosmic karma and hopefully it means things can be more in balance from now on. Chan is already going to get a huge home-field bonus at Worlds this year.

I can't help think eventually Chan Inflation balllon is going to be toppled. Its making men's skating a laughing stock.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Thank you, Let's talk for your great report on JO as usual! :)

From various reports by those who attended JO and newspaper artcles I read so far, the competition was great, in spite of so early in the season and half-cheesy comp (=judges giving such high PCS to everyone ;)).

My big 'THANK YOU' to all participating skaters! :clap:

So, is Plusy the only one who successfully landed 2 quads without getting > or >>? He is still the King! :cool:
Two quads in LP is going to be a must for boys in order to get on the podium this season. Wow!

To those who think Takahashi's program is a bit over the top, I agree, especially his facial expression...but please be reminded the choreo is not done by Morozov this time, but Shae-Lynn Bourne.
His costume is definitely Nikolai-esque, though, of course. :biggrin: I would not mind at all if he is to change this costume.

Let the season begin!

:clap: :clap: :clap: What a contrast in styles between Ashley and Mao, both with excellent performances playing to their strengths. :yes:

janetfan

Match Penalty
:clap: :clap: :clap: What a contrast in styles between Ashley and Mao, both with excellent performances playing to their strengths. :yes:

Am curious - who do you think would have won under 6.0?

And who do you think is the better skater?

Yes, it is a trick question of sorts ;)

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
BTW, Patrick Chan's program is maybe the best he's ever had. I might actually be rooting for him this season.

MasterB

Final Flight
Kudos to Buttle, what an awesome skate by him.

Ashley was on fire. She is picking up where she left off last season and boy do we ever need it.

Agnes, what a disaster I had high hopes for her.

Mao, great job little lady. I hate Swan Lake but, what can you do? Just skate strong.

Plushy, not a bad job at all but, you have to get a better program. This won't cut it. Although in Europe you might still be King.

Chan, bad skate but, that program will rock for sure when you hit all of the elements.

Dai, great job of course. I do not like Pagliacci but, I didn't like Kook last year as well, until the very end.

Let the Hunger Games begin.....................................................Minus the killing of course.

Am curious - who do you think would have won under 6.0?

Mao - float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. (But mostly float like a butterfly.) 5.8 6.0

Ashley -- going for the knockout. 5.8 5.7

And who do you think is the better skater?

To me, Mao Asada is one of the best skaters of all time.

Don't get me wrong. Ashley was great. A little reckless on her jump landings. She swings her free leg so wildly that that it looks like all of her jumps are double-footed and prevents a well-controled flow-out on the landings. Her style matched the music, which was unrelenting except for a couple of slow bars in the middle for her to catch her breath. Wonderful performance.

But Mao was a bit of heaven on earth. The music splices could have been a tad smoother, but the selections themselves were original and allowed a performance with integrity throughout, while still exhibiting variation of character. I looked at the protocols and saw an under-rotation here, a negative GOE there -- OK, whatever. (Did she take an extra step between the two segments of her combination spin?)

burntBREAD

Medalist
She didn't get credit for the second combination spin because she didn't do a flying entrance into it, therefore making both spins the same kind of spin (which you can't do), nullifying it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I, OTOH, think his PCS is underscored but that probably reflected the effects of the falls, from which he got up very quickly.

The falls should reflect at least in PE. To me, it doesn't matter how elegantly you fall, it is still disruptive to the program. I think what makes people mad about Chan's scoring is judges who give him near perfect PCS scores for a program with 4 falls.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mao - float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. (But mostly float like a butterfly.) 5.8 6.0

Ashley -- going for the knockout. 5.8 5.7

To me, Mao Asada is one of the best skaters of all time.

Don't get me wrong. Ashley was great. A little reckless on her jump landings. She swings her free leg so wildly that that it looks like all of her jumps are double-footed and prevents a well-controled flow-out on the landings. Her style matched the music, which was unrelenting except for a couple of slow bars in the middle for her to catch her breath. Wonderful performance.

But Mao was a bit of heaven on earth. The music splices could have been a tad smoother, but the selections themselves were original and allowed a performance with integrity throughout, while still exhibiting variation of character. I looked at the protocols and saw an under-rotation here, a negative GOE there -- OK, whatever. (Did she take an extra step between the two segments of her combination spin?)

Ashley could never win under the 6.0... agressive athletic skaters win when the default "ladylike soft" skater messed up too bad that they had to give it to the one who powered through.