Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Japan Open June 2012

Custom Title
    Kudos to Buttle, what an awesome skate by him.

Ashley was on fire. She is picking up where she left off last season and boy do we ever need it.

Agnes, what a disaster I had high hopes for her.

Mao, great job little lady. I hate Swan Lake but, what can you do? Just skate strong.

Plushy, not a bad job at all but, you have to get a better program. This won't cut it. Although in Europe you might still be King.

Chan, bad skate but, that program will rock for sure when you hit all of the elements.

Dai, great job of course. I do not like Pagliacci but, I didn't like Kook last year as well, until the very end.

Let the Hunger Games begin............................................. ........Minus the killing of course.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Am curious - who do you think would have won under 6.0?
    Mao - float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. (But mostly float like a butterfly.) 5.8 6.0

Ashley -- going for the knockout. 5.8 5.7

And who do you think is the better skater?
    To me, Mao Asada is one of the best skaters of all time.

Don't get me wrong. Ashley was great. A little reckless on her jump landings. She swings her free leg so wildly that that it looks like all of her jumps are double-footed and prevents a well-controled flow-out on the landings. Her style matched the music, which was unrelenting except for a couple of slow bars in the middle for her to catch her breath. Wonderful performance.

But Mao was a bit of heaven on earth. The music splices could have been a tad smoother, but the selections themselves were original and allowed a performance with integrity throughout, while still exhibiting variation of character. I looked at the protocols and saw an under-rotation here, a negative GOE there -- OK, whatever. (Did she take an extra step between the two segments of her combination spin?)

Custom Title
    She didn't get credit for the second combination spin because she didn't do a flying entrance into it, therefore making both spins the same kind of spin (which you can't do), nullifying it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I, OTOH, think his PCS is underscored but that probably reflected the effects of the falls, from which he got up very quickly.
    The falls should reflect at least in PE. To me, it doesn't matter how elegantly you fall, it is still disruptive to the program. I think what makes people mad about Chan's scoring is judges who give him near perfect PCS scores for a program with 4 falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Mao - float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. (But mostly float like a butterfly.) 5.8 6.0

Don't get me wrong. Ashley was great. A little reckless on her jump landings. She swings her free leg so wildly that that it looks like all of her jumps are double-footed and prevents a well-controled flow-out on the landings. Her style matched the music, which was unrelenting except for a couple of slow bars in the middle for her to catch her breath. Wonderful performance.

But Mao was a bit of heaven on earth. The music splices could have been a tad smoother, but the selections themselves were original and allowed a performance with integrity throughout, while still exhibiting variation of character. I looked at the protocols and saw an under-rotation here, a negative GOE there -- OK, whatever. (Did she take an extra step between the two segments of her combination spin?)
    Ashley could never win under the 6.0... agressive athletic skaters win when the default "ladylike soft" skater messed up too bad that they had to give it to the one who powered through.

On the Ice
    what at charming program for Elene : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fx1B...3&feature=plcp

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    To those who think Takahashi's program is a bit over the top, I agree, especially his facial expression...but please be reminded the choreo is not done by Morozov this time, but Shae-Lynn Bourne.
    His costume is definitely Nikolai-esque, though, of course. I would not mind at all if he is to change this costume.
    Of course I’ve always known this program is choreographed by Shae-Lynn, but Morozov edited it. He took out transitions and added over the top expressions, as well as that Morozov costume.

Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Wait--isn't going crazy the right sort of emotion needed to skate to Pagliacci? Because the protagonist Canio the clown definitely goes crazy at the end of Pagliacci when his mind detaches from reality and he ends up stabbing his wife and her lover onstage...
    Yes, but Jeffrey’s program, for instance, portrayed this more well. He showed how the character went crazy without those over the top emotions. Oh well.

That said, I'm not a fan of Daisuke's Pagliacci. IMO, La Strada, Blues for Klook and even Invierno Porteno >>>> Pagliacci.
    ITA. Those three programs choreographed by Camerlengo are much better than Pagliacci. That’s why I hope Daisuke will go back to Camerlengo and Miyamoto in the Olympic season.

I agree with what you wrote here which makes me wonder about the equity and values in the scoring system.

No doubt 6.0 would have said "Mao was masterful and a few mistakes - barely noticeable - did not take away from her performance.

Ashley also skated very well but the slight difference in the tech scores would never beat Mao's more elegant skating on that night.

There is no question in my mind the majority of fans in USA see it through a similar lens. They want superior presentation to trump a slight difference in tech and get turned off by the type of results from the JO.

Is there a solution or compromise that would keep the CoP fanatics (minority) happy while getting the majority of fans more interested again?

What about the view from Japan? Were fans there happy with the outcome?

OK - I get it is a Pro-Am - but what if we saw this result at Worlds. If we saw it in France there would be more hooting and hissing from the fans.
    In USA fans would probably be happy Ashley won- but give us some credit. Many would disagree with the result.

Many GS members say the scoring system has nothing to due with skating's loss of popualarity in US.

I think it is getting harder and harder to deny.

On a more positive note -I love the Japan Open and thought it was a great weekend of skating with Finlandia and the other events going on.
    What a shame so few in USA are aware of it.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-08-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    I think Irina wazrubbed and it sounded as though the audience loved her the best. The Japanese fans are fair
    Thanks. Even if you, watching some online stream noticed that, you can image how noticable it was live in the arena. I already started to worry for my hearing after a couple of people here doubted my word.
    Last edited by let`s talk; 10-08-2012 at 10:23 AM.

the whole Carnival on ice

password:2012CaOI

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDU4OTE2NDg4.html

please enjoy

Lol Irina did Malade
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post

please enjoy

Is there a solution or compromise that would keep the CoP fanatics (minority) happy while getting the majority of fans more interested again?
    More and more I think the answer is no. I think not just figure skating but society’s whole attitude toward women in sports has changed. Basically what se are saying here that we liked Mao’s performance better because it was more graceful, more fluid, more elegant – in short, prettier. But pretty don’t feed the bulldog any more.

The number one woman athlete in the U.S. is Serena “smashmouth” Williams. A true died-in-the-wool tennis enthusiast can appreciate the subtleties of her game, even the grace. But mostly we cheer for how she whacks the bejusus out of the ball.

CoP proponents argue that it makes figure skating “more like other sports.” I think that’s true…but...

Be careful what you ask for.

More and more I think the answer is no. I think not just figure skating but society’s whole attitude toward women in sports has changed. Basically what se are saying here that we liked Mao’s performance better because it was more graceful, more fluid, more elegant – in short, prettier. But pretty don’t feed the bulldog any more.

The number one woman athlete in the U.S. is Serena “smashmouth” Williams. A true died-in-the-wool tennis enthusiast can appreciate the subtleties of her game, even the grace. But mostly we cheer for how she whacks the bejusus out of the ball.

CoP proponents argue that it makes figure skating “more like other sports.” I think that’s true…but...

Be careful what you ask for.
    Geez, you might be right.

But if it was as easy to skate the way Mao does wouldn't more of the ladies look just as graceful?

The truth is they can't - and thinking the beauty of Mao's skating is somehow easier to achieve (or takes less practice and athleticism) than Ashley's more butch style doesn't feel true.

I think the CoP fans don't necessarily recognize that. But we all like different things.

Who knows - maybe the in the future beautiful ballet dancers will be pushed aside for dancers who jump higher and move faster but without the elegance seen in the past.

I like when Dick Button said "I have had a love affair with the fine art of figure skating for over sixty years."

Of course he also says "what's not to like about the sport of figure skating." It has everything - athleticism, music, theatrics, drama...."

Do you think on a Sunday afternoon someone turns off football to watch skating because they simply want to see another sport?
    Or do they do it because they want to see something different than football and most other sports?

Indeed, "watch what you ask for" could apply very well to ISU, no?
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-08-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post

please enjoy
    Thank you very much for posting the links but are you sure that is the whole Cranival because I have just finished watching and after Shizuka is the closing presentation with all the skaters and there are many that I havent seen like Ashley, Alena, Elene, Agnes, Michal etc.

Do you think on a Sunday afternoon someone turns off football to watch skating because they simply want to see another sport?
    Or do they do it because they want to see something different than football and most other sports?
    You are preaching to the choir.

I think the the ISU is 180 degrees off course if their goal is to make figure skating more like other sports. If we want to watch "other sports" there are dozens to choose from. For that matter, if we want to participate in "other sports" there are dozens to choose from.

Instead, we should be celebrating and promoting what makes figure skating different from other sports.
    Last edited by Mathman; 10-08-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast