Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Japan Open June 2012

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor2014 View Post
    Morozov edited it. He took out transitions and added over the top expressions, as well as that Morozov costume.
    Oh...if it's true, I really hope Dai will bring back those transitions as the season deepens so that he feels more comfortable with this new program.

When I first saw it on TV, I just could not take my eyes off his blades and edges and I did not pay much attention to his face...His blade works so much changed since the last season, I thought. Especially in his last step sequence, I just loved his longer-holding edges, which is something he missed due to his unflexible body-type and exactly is something he wanted to get for so long, and which is something I find it in Patrick's skating on his best day and I love.
    Maybe it's just me but, in this regard Dai at this JO looked like a different/new skater to me in a way. Like I said, I would also prefer less facial expressions from him now. He does not need them, because his skating itself speaks quite a volume, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    You are preaching to the choir.

I think the the ISU is 180 degrees off course if their goal is to make figure skating more like other sports. If we want to watch "other sports" there are dozens to choose from. For that matter, if we want to participate in "other sports" there are dozens to choose from.

Instead, we should be celebrating and promoting what makes figure skating different from other sports.
    I loooooooooooovvvvvveeeeeeee football... I watched less when my team sucked (the last two years have been glorious! I Jim Harbaugh!)

In the US, our skating team... sucks... it's like watching the Saints go from being as awesome as they've been to.... 0-4 (now 1-4)... we went from the Kwan Cohen years to getting our hopes up with the next couple of batches of skaters in the ladies... Evan and Johnny were hit and miss... our pairs have sucked wind for decades... and no one gets ice dance (any more than they do ballroom dancing) as a sport (most skating fans argue this point as well). So I can see where naturally the interest is a little bit to a lot less...

Now, whether or not the CoP is to blame for our team having trouble keeping up with the rest of the world, I'm not as keen to believe that's the cause, I believe it's a rebuilding period for the USFSA... whether or not they're going about it correctly is another argument. The Niners weren't that great with Coach Singletary... once he got the boot and Harbaugh totally revamped the program (keeping the main players, though) we saw the team we have now!

just a thought... from someone who doesn't mind football... (and finds beauty in it, actually)
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 10-09-2012 at 10:47 PM.

I think one of the main reasons the US is just now starting to regroup in singles is because many coaches at more developmental levels did not embrace IJS right away and continued to push kids with major technique flaws (short rotation jumps, entry edge issues) through the system. As a matter of fact, I STILL see some coaches who blow smoke, so to speak...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    The falls should reflect at least in PE. To me, it doesn't matter how elegantly you fall, it is still disruptive to the program. I think what makes people mad about Chan's scoring is judges who give him near perfect PCS scores for a program with 4 falls.
    Where was the "near perfect PCS"?! Have you seen the protocols yet?!

Patrick has lost on PCS so badly! If he landed four more times, I've no doubt that he could receive a few 10s in all five categories in PCS. Instead, he has only received 84.42. His PCS was in fourth place after Takahashi, Buttle, and Plushenko. And Plushenko fell too. Ah, you mean that 9.5 on PE? That judge might have given Patrick all 10s if Patrick landed all the jumps. I don't see any reason for a fuzz.

Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRcile3Pr8&feature=plcp

Jeffrey Buttle gave another masterpiece performance. This is one of his best performances EVER! Simply exquisite. He should definitely comeback to the world of amateur skating.
    Why should Buttle come back and "enjoy" the second place in Canada? Buttle is too smart to do that.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 10-09-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Dai's transition marks last season were marked consistently in the lower eights. His transition mark was much better at JO.
    It will be interesting to see if his transition mark improves with this LP in the upcoming GP events.

I always felt that the judges did not get "Blues", skating being a subjective sport, but I have a feeling they will love this program.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by demarinis5 View Post
    I always felt that the judges did not get "Blues"
    Haha. Holy true. That was too innovating to expand their horizons. They seem like more open to cliches like POTO, Aranjuez, La Boheme, or Tosca with Turandot. Now those who are talanted enough to push boundaries have to stick with stuff that please ISU trivial taste. Stupid judges.

It's funny!

All started with this Kurt's tweet 9. Oct.

Kurt Browning ‏@KurtBrowning

Jeffrey Buttle, @J_Butt, taught everyone at the event the perfect combination of technical & magical skating. @EvgeniPlushenko is jumping  ( the pictograph couldn't be seen) it's a thumb's up pictogram.
    Read the other tweets!
    https://twitter.com/i/#!/search/real...40KurtBrowning

And some posts on Plu's website:

"I don't think it's a false alarm.
    He said: Buttle is perfect combination of technical and magic skating.
    Jumps are "technical".
    It's another way to say: plush is technique. Buttle is technique+art (magic skating).
    I know Buttle is canadian. But in his position, he must pay attention about what he write and effects his words may have.
    We have to understand that american/canadian propaganda against Plush before Sochi is beginning??
    Anyway Kurt lost my respect not because he said his opinion. Everyone is free. But because first it'n not true that plush is only jumps and I'm really tired to listen this thing. Than he could say: I like this "canadian" (strange) skater and stop. No one asked him anything about plush.
    Im very angry!"
    -------
    I felt Kurt tried to PR how Canadian skaters have good skating and technique but Plushy isn't like them. So he compared "Buttle's perfect combination of technical & magical skating" to "Plushenko's good jump" (= means Plushy is jumping machine)...."

"Kurt wrote "Buttle taught everyone at the event the perfect combination of technical & magical skating", well I was there too but I disagree with Kurt. seriously, who is "everyone"? Probably Kurt talked to only North Americans or his yes-men

Yes, and this arrogance that everyone thinks like him, aka N/A "experts" ....anyway, he talked similar stories and 2010 about Plushy - some praises, spiced with malicious comments about Plushy's jumping skills "
    -----------
    Buttle is his friend and he did have the a very good skate BUT the one that he actually insults is TAKAHASHI who came first and beat Buttle.

Not only Dai but he insulted Kozuka too who was over Buttle. He also insulted the audience who according to Kurt is dumb enough not to know who in fact were the best guys there. Feel free to be "welcomed" to Japan next time, Kurt. We'll take care of it :-). Anyway, he came up with some excuses, and I already twittered him the reply. In general, you guys did great work with your twitters when you let him know that Sochi won't be the place for politics a la Vancouver. Kurt turned out to be an easy thing to get scared. --
    ---------------
    Let them know who are the "people". We don't need to be patronized on how to appreciate a sport. If they want to decide on their own what is magic skating, then don't bother to have an audience.

PS., I think the biggest mistake that KB made was, if he wants to compliment Jeff Buttle, fine. Many people appreciate JB's skating as well. But don't use other skaters as a stepping stool, especially skaters who are much more popular with the audience.
    ---------------------
    Well, as a Kurt's twitter reader myself, I enjoyed his umbrella tricks at MWO very much and
    I was about to praise his performance at 46 yrs old. But I just couldn't agree with his comment.
    I know in many shows Evgeni, Kurt and Jeff skate together, I imagine they talk when they meet
    and they understand each other's techniques as top skaters.What I was afraid was readers' reactions,
    some were saying things like "OK Plushenko has just jumps" without making sure what he jumped
    (2 quads and a 3A, 3Lz2t2lo etc) and what were failed. Maybe Kurt is so tired to tweet long
    messages, but since he has many readers, I'd appreciate a bit more details and accuracy.

On Evgeni's presentation, he has got seventy-five 6.0s in old scoreing system, 70 of them FOR
    PRESENTATION according to wikipedia.That's the best score of mankind maybe? It means he was
    very successful with skating on different theme and music, performing in different styles,
    classical to modern.

If you look at JO's protocol, here are some data:

Skating skill: Takahashi 9.11 Evgeni 8.75 Jeff 8.71 Chan 8.61
    Stsq: Takahashi 5.6, Chan 5.5, Evgeni 5.3, Jeff 5.3 (means both are 3rd)
    Chsq: Jeff 3.6, Takahashi 3.4, Evgeni 3.3, Chan 3.2
    Note that the differences are so small, so I think we can add 'Evgeni's jumps are totally amazing and his
    skating skills are top notch".
    It looks like Kurt had no intension to report, but I think choice of Swan theme is a good idea. People
    remind of Russian classical ballet and it's a good chance to show Evgeni's performing skills.
    I hope the program will be more improved if he keeps to skate this FS.
    Last edited by plushyfan; 10-11-2012 at 01:49 PM.

Banned
    Come on! How am I supposed to post the link to his performance now? Let's assume it was his bad command of English. But to use other skaters to praise his buddy was surely over the line.

Kurt at CaOI:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAekXzwD5s8

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    the whole post
    plushyfan, I don't see the big deal in Kurt's tweet. I don't like the idea of involving nationalism. It's not because he's a Russian, or because he's a Canadian. Why couldn't we just leave out the nationality part and talk only about the individual skater/skaters and their skating?!

In a sense of clean and balance, Kurt was right. Buttle's skating was about 50% technics and 50% artistry. But that was not what competitive skating asked. There was no insult to Takahashi. Takahashi has traded his artistry for big jumps with empty, dull jumping passes in the first one whole minute of his program. Even some of his honest fans have admitted it. Being listed above Buttle doesn't mean that they are artistically better than Buttle. They have just earned more points according to the scoring sheet.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 10-11-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Come on! How am I supposed to post the link to his performance now? Let's assume it was his bad command of English. But to use other skaters to praise his buddy was surely over the line.

Kurt at CaOI:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAekXzwD5s8
    Great!! He can dance and can skate!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    There was no insult to Takahashi.
    Yes, it was. His arrogant "taught everyone" and "the perfect combination" with "the", i.e. means the one and the only, was an insult not to Dai only but to Kozuka too who was also over Buttle, and to the audience who know what guy(s) was/were more popular. And an insult to judges who gave higher PCS to Dai than to Buttle. Skating safe with one 3A only is a quadless champion level. He was so much tired after that 3A that he couldn't jump any single jump in CaOI, not even a double jump. TV Tokyo didn't even include him in broadcast(?), probably having a mercy on him not to embarrass the guy. That doesn't speak high about his magically technical level that Kurt praised. Kurt has the full right to praise his buddy. But sweetheart, don't be malice to other skaters and don't use their names. In 2010 Kurt made some comments towards Plush mixed with praises and malice about his jumping skills. That's why his tweet originally was misread by Plush haters first, as if Kurt was mocking Plush as some jumping machine. After that Plu fans had to reply. In his excuses Kurt was addressing Plu fans but not haters whom he originally provoked. Never mind. But agree with Plu site people- if Kurt wants to decide on his own who got taught and who was the perfect combination of this and that, then don't bother to have tha audience, dude.

A kind user downloaded JO without commentators' rants (courtecy of Plu site where I foudn the links ):
    Plu:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLS0nncSEjc
    Other skaters:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/okoko01?feature=CAQQwRs%3D
    Last edited by let`s talk; 10-12-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Maybe it's just more pro skaters (Jeff & Kurt) vs "olympic eligible skaters"?

either way - Kurt went from being a jumper to an artist and has been in awe of those skaters skaters for years (and AFAIK has never put himself in that category). I don't think it was a slight to Plush, just showing the type of skating Kurt prefers. (which OMG! we all do.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I don't think it was a slight to Plush, just showing the type of skating Kurt prefers. (which OMG! we all do.)
    Kurt is not just some online poster like you and me. The person with his status should think twice what to twit. If he didn't use "the" and "taught eveyone" and said something like "showed perfect combination .." instead, then things would be just fine. Otherwises his comment sounded snarky towards Plu and arrogant towards other skaters at JO and the audience. As the result, Plu haters, and as you can observe here Dai haters too, misinterpreted Kurt's words the way they wanted and the rest you know. Anyway, Kurt already twittered some explanations that he was originally misunderstood.

I went to his twitter and read it... I'm still not seeing what he said that was offensive, but to each their own. I guess we can all add extra meaning to the, what 120 allotted character, posts. Kurt's a very levelheaded guy, and isn't looking to tick people off. His twitter - when he remembers to use it - is actually one of the better skater twitters to follow. Hopefully he doesn't get "gun shy" over something so ridiculous.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I went to his twitter and read it... I'm still not seeing what he said that was offensive, but to each their own. I guess we can all add extra meaning to the, what 120 allotted character, posts. Kurt's a very levelheaded guy, and isn't looking to tick people off. His twitter - when he remembers to use it - is actually one of the better skater twitters to follow. Hopefully he doesn't get "gun shy" over something so ridiculous.
    Don't worry. I already twittered him a couple of days ago that it was probably his bad command of English. I mean I am fine with the whole Kurt-twitter story. He probably didn't mean anything bad, and later he explained that. The point is- his twitter was orginally worded the way that allowed haters of some skaters to interprete it as if Kurt was being snarky and arrogant towards others. Well, let's say he learned the twitter lesson.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast