Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan Open June 2012

What is the date for this event? And it's great that Gold got invited.. It'll be a long season for her though, with 2 GPs, Nationals, and potentially 4CC/Worlds/Junior Worlds.. Hopefully what happened to Tuktamisheva last season won't happen to Gracie. Though she did have a pretty long season last year too.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Jeff will be doing both MW and JO, a good economy of time and travel for 2 consecutive single program competitions.

Its name notwithstanding, JO is invitational. So it's really the organizer's choices who will skate there. Of course Joannie could have chosen to decline the invitation. We don't know.
    When you look at it, top North American skaters over the past cycle have been Rochette, Czisny and Flatt. Czisny is injured and Flatt is in college. Wagner and Gold have been ascendant only this past season. So obviously, Rochette would have to have been top choice for a JO invitation. She could have opted to do both MW and JO, like Buttle, but she chose MW only.
    Last edited by chuckm; 06-17-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LeCygne View Post
    What is the date for this event? And it's great that Gold got invited.. It'll be a long season for her though, with 2 GPs, Nationals, and potentially 4CC/Worlds/Junior Worlds.. Hopefully what happened to Tuktamisheva last season won't happen to Gracie. Though she did have a pretty long season last year too.
    Glad to hear that I am not the only one thinking that this may be too many events for Gold....but it will be a positive experience for her as well....I also think that Wagner should start being selective about events...yes she has momentum but she needs to also think about pacing herself (ie prevent injury)....

As much as I would love to see Liza show her program before gp, I don't think she should go if invited. One reason why she began to skate poorly at gpf onwards was because her season started too early and she quickly became tired.

Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    As much as I would love to see Liza show her program before gp, I don't think she should go if invited. One reason why she began to skate poorly at gpf onwards was because her season started too early and she quickly became tired.
    It was her first year doing senior programs and she wasn't used to it. I think that this year shed be fine. Although I'd rather her wait and peak at Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    It was her first year doing senior programs and she wasn't used to it. I think that this year shed be fine. Although I'd rather her wait and peak at Worlds
    Yeah, worlds is more important. It is really hard for a skater to give above average performances the whole year and I'd prefer to see a great performance at Euros and Worlds than Japan Open and the grand prix.
    Last edited by DianaSelene; 06-17-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    Yeah, worlds is more important. It is really hard for a skater to give above average performances the whole year and I'd prefer to see a great performance at Euros and Worlds than Japan Open and the grand prix.
    Yes I agree
    Although I think that a good gp circuit could set her up well for euros and worlds nicely.
    And without Japan cup shell probably still do six competitions.
    Very excited to see what her programs will be like. I hope they don't get Mishinized...

Yes I agree
    Although I think that a good gp circuit could set her up well for euros and worlds nicely.
    And without Japan cup shell probably still do six competitions.
    Very excited to see what her programs will be like. I hope they don't get Mishinized...
    A good example of peaking at the right time was Ashley Wagner. She did not have a stellar gp and didn't get to the final but had a great nationals, 4CC, and worlds. I would love to see Tukt finally win a nationals and score well at the big competitions. I also hope Mishin won't take out good choreography from her programs. We get it that she has the full set of jumps and perfect technique- now work on the component side.

Custom Title
    I am very sad to hear Joannie isn't returning; and it looks that way. I guess her jumps got weaker and weaker each year away. Last year she struggled and missed the loop and had an error in the lutz I believe. She's not keeping up. Interesting - almost conflict of interest lol Buttle is choreographer for Chan and now competes against him. This is nasty but I wonder if Buttle could skate well enough for the second or third Canadian men's spot without a triple axel? 2 lutzes ;2 flips, loop, salchow, toe loop, 2 double axels one in 3 jump combo.. I am not sure the JO with Gold is a great draw to the fans. But maybe she is seen as the equivalent as one of th erussian baby ballerinas.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I am very sad to hear Joannie isn't returning; and it looks that way. I guess her jumps got weaker and weaker each year away. Last year she struggled and missed the loop and had an error in the lutz I believe. She's not keeping up. Interesting - almost conflict of interest lol Buttle is choreographer for Chan and now competes against him. This is nasty but I wonder if Buttle could skate well enough for the second or third Canadian men's spot without a triple axel? 2 lutzes ;2 flips, loop, salchow, toe loop, 2 double axels one in 3 jump combo.. I am not sure the JO with Gold is a great draw to the fans. But maybe she is seen as the equivalent as one of th erussian baby ballerinas.
    Joannie's competing at Medal-winners Open around the same time as JO though. I think it's premature to determine whether she's coming back or not. Last time I heard, she and SC were very serious about that.
    Last edited by l'etoile; 06-18-2012 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey View Post
    Glad to hear that I am not the only one thinking that this may be too many events for Gold....but it will be a positive experience for her as well
    She started her competitive season last year in MAY at local competitions and competed in May (Northern Blast), July (Skate Detroit), Aug (Glacier Falls), Sept (Greater Chicagoland Fall Invitational) before her JGP event, Mids, Nationals, JW, and WTT. I think she will be fine. She recently took her Senior FS test.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Joannie's competing at Medal-winners Open around the same time as JO though. I think it's premature to determine whether she's coming back or not. Last time I heard, she and SC were very serious about that.
    Buttle is doing both competitions but Joannie is doing only one. Medal Winners Open is on Friday, then JO on Saturday at the same place. So people became curious about this.

But I agree with you, that we cannot predict whether Joannie will come back or not just based on one competition.

Custom Title
    The main difference, technically, between MW and JO is jumps. If Joannie indeed chose one and not the other, it may indicate her jump readiness and perhaps her intention. But we don't know if she was given a choice to make.

skating philosopher
    Well apparently Gracie has Japanese fans — she tweeted a photo of her replying to one of them (and apparently got a Starbucks gift card?): https://instagr.am/p/L_9lcTLAi4/

Yeah. Too bad Gold isn't going to the Trophee of Death in France this year. That would make it even more interesting.
    HAHAH that is truly what it will be.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast