Japan Open June 2012 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japan Open June 2012

DianaSelene

Medalist
It was her first year doing senior programs and she wasn't used to it. I think that this year shed be fine. Although I'd rather her wait and peak at Worlds

Yeah, worlds is more important. It is really hard for a skater to give above average performances the whole year and I'd prefer to see a great performance at Euros and Worlds than Japan Open and the grand prix.

Last edited:

Macassar88

Medalist
Yeah, worlds is more important. It is really hard for a skater to give above average performances the whole year and I'd prefer to see a great performance at Euros and Worlds than Japan Open and the grand prix.

Yes I agree
Although I think that a good gp circuit could set her up well for euros and worlds nicely.
And without Japan cup shell probably still do six competitions.
Very excited to see what her programs will be like. I hope they don't get Mishinized...

DianaSelene

Medalist
Yes I agree
Although I think that a good gp circuit could set her up well for euros and worlds nicely.
And without Japan cup shell probably still do six competitions.
Very excited to see what her programs will be like. I hope they don't get Mishinized...

A good example of peaking at the right time was Ashley Wagner. She did not have a stellar gp and didn't get to the final but had a great nationals, 4CC, and worlds. I would love to see Tukt finally win a nationals and score well at the big competitions. I also hope Mishin won't take out good choreography from her programs. We get it that she has the full set of jumps and perfect technique- now work on the component side.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am very sad to hear Joannie isn't returning; and it looks that way. I guess her jumps got weaker and weaker each year away. Last year she struggled and missed the loop and had an error in the lutz I believe. She's not keeping up. Interesting - almost conflict of interest lol Buttle is choreographer for Chan and now competes against him. This is nasty but I wonder if Buttle could skate well enough for the second or third Canadian men's spot without a triple axel? 2 lutzes ;2 flips, loop, salchow, toe loop, 2 double axels one in 3 jump combo.. I am not sure the JO with Gold is a great draw to the fans. But maybe she is seen as the equivalent as one of th erussian baby ballerinas.

I am very sad to hear Joannie isn't returning; and it looks that way. I guess her jumps got weaker and weaker each year away. Last year she struggled and missed the loop and had an error in the lutz I believe. She's not keeping up. Interesting - almost conflict of interest lol Buttle is choreographer for Chan and now competes against him. This is nasty but I wonder if Buttle could skate well enough for the second or third Canadian men's spot without a triple axel? 2 lutzes ;2 flips, loop, salchow, toe loop, 2 double axels one in 3 jump combo.. I am not sure the JO with Gold is a great draw to the fans. But maybe she is seen as the equivalent as one of th erussian baby ballerinas.

Joannie's competing at Medal-winners Open around the same time as JO though. I think it's premature to determine whether she's coming back or not. Last time I heard, she and SC were very serious about that.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Glad to hear that I am not the only one thinking that this may be too many events for Gold....but it will be a positive experience for her as well
She started her competitive season last year in MAY at local competitions and competed in May (Northern Blast), July (Skate Detroit), Aug (Glacier Falls), Sept (Greater Chicagoland Fall Invitational) before her JGP event, Mids, Nationals, JW, and WTT. I think she will be fine. She recently took her Senior FS test.

seabm7

Final Flight
Joannie's competing at Medal-winners Open around the same time as JO though. I think it's premature to determine whether she's coming back or not. Last time I heard, she and SC were very serious about that.

Buttle is doing both competitions but Joannie is doing only one. Medal Winners Open is on Friday, then JO on Saturday at the same place. So people became curious about this.

But I agree with you, that we cannot predict whether Joannie will come back or not just based on one competition.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The main difference, technically, between MW and JO is jumps. If Joannie indeed chose one and not the other, it may indicate her jump readiness and perhaps her intention. But we don't know if she was given a choice to make.

NMURA

Medalist
announcement

Team Japan
Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki, Daisuke Takahashi, Takahiko Kozuka

Team Europe
Elene Gedevanishvili, Alena Leonova, Evgeni Plushenko, TBD

Team North America
Ashley Wagner, Patrick Chan, Jeffrey Buttle, TBD

Was Gold cancelled? In that case, probably nagasu will be in. Looks like lucrative deals are offered to Asada and Plushenko. I've expected one of Sot/Tuk would be invited. Maybe, next year.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Thanx for this
Japan is having the big guns, this is like the dream team of Japan :hb:

And I certainly didnt expect Plush to participate there, is it like last year that he withdrew at the end? and I hope Joubert or Fernandez go too.

mskater93

Record Breaker
announcement
Was Gold cancelled? In that case, probably nagasu will be in. Looks like lucrative deals are offered to Asada and Plushenko. I've expected one of Sot/Tuk would be invited. Maybe, next year.
Not as far as we are aware. We've been watching her make preparations for this competition and her coach has talked a lot about it, so unless something changed since last Wednesday...

Hmm Gold was so much awaiting for the event, excited, without a doubt. I wonder what happened. I see that Mao is in now for this year! Finally!

mary01

Final Flight
I am soo thrilled to see that Mao is participating this year, can't wait to see her on the ice as well as the others.. team japan seems really strong this year!

NMURA

Medalist
Mao Asada hasn't participated Japan Open only in last year. I still don't understand the reason. There's no doubt she had an offer since Suzuki (who failed qualifying for worlds) was invited as the #2. One explanation is that she didn't want to be treated as the #2 after Ando. It was the natural order if they consider the placements at Japanese nationals and worlds. In this year's announcement, Asada's name is on the top of Team Japan. It could be the case the organizers promised to treat her as the #1 and give some special bonuses. Asada's presence is proved to be very important for TV stations and Dentsu (the largest ad agency in Japan). This year's DOI was aired past midnight only in Kanto region. "Stars" like Takahashi or Ando can't attract enough viewers.