Custom Title
    announcement

Team Japan
    Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki, Daisuke Takahashi, Takahiko Kozuka

Team Europe
    Elene Gedevanishvili, Alena Leonova, Evgeni Plushenko, TBD

Team North America
    Ashley Wagner, Patrick Chan, Jeffrey Buttle, TBD

Was Gold cancelled? In that case, probably nagasu will be in. Looks like lucrative deals are offered to Asada and Plushenko. I've expected one of Sot/Tuk would be invited. Maybe, next year.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Thanx for this
    Japan is having the big guns, this is like the dream team of Japan

And I certainly didnt expect Plush to participate there, is it like last year that he withdrew at the end? and I hope Joubert or Fernandez go too.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I hope Joubert or Fernandez go too.
    It's the same weekend as the French Masters, so don't hold your breath.

Oh I so hoped for them both to go.

Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    announcement
    Was Gold cancelled? In that case, probably nagasu will be in. Looks like lucrative deals are offered to Asada and Plushenko. I've expected one of Sot/Tuk would be invited. Maybe, next year.
    Not as far as we are aware. We've been watching her make preparations for this competition and her coach has talked a lot about it, so unless something changed since last Wednesday...

Banned
    The info about Plush is not confirmed by his agent. At least for now.

Hmm Gold was so much awaiting for the event, excited, without a doubt. I wonder what happened. I see that Mao is in now for this year! Finally!

Custom Title
    Buttle is competing? That's a surprise.

I am soo thrilled to see that Mao is participating this year, can't wait to see her on the ice as well as the others.. team japan seems really strong this year!

Custom Title
    Mao Asada hasn't participated Japan Open only in last year. I still don't understand the reason. There's no doubt she had an offer since Suzuki (who failed qualifying for worlds) was invited as the #2. One explanation is that she didn't want to be treated as the #2 after Ando. It was the natural order if they consider the placements at Japanese nationals and worlds. In this year's announcement, Asada's name is on the top of Team Japan. It could be the case the organizers promised to treat her as the #1 and give some special bonuses. Asada's presence is proved to be very important for TV stations and Dentsu (the largest ad agency in Japan). This year's DOI was aired past midnight only in Kanto region. "Stars" like Takahashi or Ando can't attract enough viewers.

Banned
    One explanation is that she didn't want to be treated as the #2 after Ando.
    "Stars" like Takahashi or Ando can't attract enough viewers.
    ... neither can Chan or Caro according to your logic.

Dai and Miki are not stars but "stars." And Mao is some diva who doesn't allow anyone to think of herself as #2.

I wonder if there is at least one skater of Team Japan of whom NMURA can say a good word.

Custom Title
    Mao Asada hasn't participated Japan Open only in last year. I still don't understand the reason. There's no doubt she had an offer since Suzuki (who failed qualifying for worlds) was invited as the #2. One explanation is that she didn't want to be treated as the #2 after Ando. It was the natural order if they consider the placements at Japanese nationals and worlds. In this year's announcement, Asada's name is on the top of Team Japan. It could be the case the organizers promised to treat her as the #1 and give some special bonuses. Asada's presence is proved to be very important for TV stations and Dentsu (the largest ad agency in Japan). This year's DOI was aired past midnight only in Kanto region. "Stars" like Takahashi or Ando can't attract enough viewers.
    Asada's agent may want to believe and want the general public believe that she's the only big star in Japan's figure skating. But WTT did very well in both ticket sales and TV viewer ratings. This year's DOI sold out without her as well. Old guys running major media organizations may prefer pretty young girls in mini skirts, but figure skating fans know that men's field is deeper and more interesting than ladies now. I have no idea how much general public cares about Asada or even figure skating this summer because they must be more excited for the Olympics games in London.

It's plausible that Asada demanded JO some big bonus and they needed to take some time for negotiation before they announced her entry.

Quote Originally Posted by NMURA
    This year's DOI was aired past midnight only in Kanto region. "Stars" like Takahashi or Ando can't attract enough viewers.
    Would you agree that the big skating boom in Japan has just about played out, and that in a year of two Japan will be joining the U.S.A. and the rest of the world in saying, "What happened to figure skating?"

Quote Originally Posted by let's talk
    I wonder if there is at least one skater of Team Japan of whom NMURA can say a good word.
    Hanyu.

^Lol

Plushy wife answered to a japanese fan on twitter that he might participate, it is 50-50.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Plushy wife answered to a japanese fan on twitter that he might participate, it is 50-50.
    So it was 50-50 before she answered and now we have confirmation that it is indeed 50-50.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast