Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't know why everyone is moaning. I liked their new FD tbh. It's not earthshattering, but it's really solid dance. I personally prefer their FD over C/B's one. Despite that I like C/B more than Shibs. It will be really interesting fight for US #1 dance pair status.

That's what I'm saying! When C/B got 100, I was ready to put them to win Skate America (yes even as a hard core Shibs fan)...but now the Shibs got 100 too...so my prediction game predctions just got interesting!

Speaking of which, I need to get crackin' on that. HAHA.

Last edited:

gibbynka

On the Ice
Welcome to Golden Skate, gibbynka! Post long and often. :)

Thank you so much, Mrs.P :love: I'm a long-time skating fan from Europe and had no idea such a forum existed. I'm so happy to have found it :) Now I can share my appreciation with others.

The Shibutanis are my favorite ice dancers, and have been for a while. I always get so irrationally nervous when they compete! So glad they won today.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thank you so much, Mrs.P :love: I'm a long-time skating fan from Europe and had no idea such a forum existed. I'm so happy to have found it :) Now I can share my appreciation with others.

The Shibutanis are my favorite ice dancers, and have been for a while. I always get so irrationally nervous when they compete! So glad they won today.

Well I'm happy to see another fellow Shibutanis fan post! So keep it up. :) I'm happy they won today and with such a great score! I believe their FD score is a new personal best!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Also, the video of young Maia and Alex was simply amazing, they were so precious! Thank you, golden411 ;)

You're welcome, gibbynka. :) In my post above, I forgot to include a still photo of young Maia and Alex from their 2005 Latin FD.

Look forward to seeing you again in this thread and any other GS threads.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

gibbynka

On the Ice
You're welcome, gibbynka. :) In my post above, I forgot to include a still photo of young Maia and Alex from their 2005 Latin FD.

Look forward to seeing you again in this thread and any other GS threads.

Thank you ;) I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping Maia and Alex will have a great season!

Is it just me, or do they look much younger than the other two pairs from that Junior Championship? Especially Maia.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thank you ;) I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping Maia and Alex will have a great season!

Is it just me, or do they look much younger than the other two pairs from that Junior Championship? Especially Maia.

I think Maia (Alex too, but her especially) has always looked younger than other folks.

So I totally want to say MAJOR props to their costume designer because Maia's costumes this season are AMAZING. The design of Maia's costumes (the sheer gold back in the SD and the backless illusion in the FD) show off her lovely back arch and posture when she is in dance hold. Actually that is the most striking thing about her and am surprised they have not showed it off sooner!

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
I rewatched their FD and I like it, is a good program but need some changes IMO, there are not an obvious climax in their skating. The twizzles are awsome though.
But my favorite is their SD :love:, I love it and I don´t get tired of watch it. At least compared with C/B is definitly superior in my opinion.
I can not wait until Skate America.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
I think my favorite part of my clip is hearing Maia do the interview. She was 11 going on 30 even back then!

Totally agree with you. I think interviews with most senior skaters can't hold a candle to the way Maia handles herself in public and with the media, now or even back when she was 11! Adorable and sharp!

TMC

Record Breaker
Totally agree with you. I think interviews with most senior skaters can't hold a candle to the way Maia handles herself in public and with the media, now or even back when she was 11! Adorable and sharp!

Oh she was so good! They were both very sweet but Maia just sounded like a complete pro! :laugh:

SHA

Rinkside
Love both programs and the costumes are so professional looking. The mirrored twizzles are the best - is she left handed

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Maia and Alex are on the October issue of SKATING Magazine.
They are debuting the roll out of a new format which includes the use of a free app (ACTABLE) which then allows the reader to scan bonus photos and videos.
The Shibsibs created a unique feature video.

https://skatingmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/october-skating-cover.jpg

The launch video with the Shibutanis and accompanying blog entry re Skating magazine's new app are at the link in post #259 on page 18 of the thread.

Nice still shot of the Shibs from the video:

And for Shibs junkies, the photographer of the magazine cover shot tweeted an uncropped version:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The costumes are gorgeous with one exception: Alex, if you're going to wear black tie and tails, you need to wear the actual tie. Just saying...

The SD made me think if I was their coach, I would be standing at the boards saying, Attack! Attack! Sharper! Sharper! I thought the choreography and program construction here was miles better than the FD--and easily one of the best SDs I've seen so far.

The FD. First off, I don't think you can in any way compare it to Marlie's DF program, for the simple reason that they have such different approaches to the sport as a whole. Marlie's struck me as "well what if we performed a traditional waltz as if it was a Broadway dance routine?" The Shibs approach is much more traditional. The twizzles are obviously the program highlight. And that to me is a problem, because in a waltz, I would much rather see a step sequence as the highlight of the program. The split rotational lift looked like it had a bobble going into it (and it wasn't a great position). That first lift will be really nice as they get used to performing it.

The real issue to me in terms of how the program is constructed is that it seems to be a program of parts that don't necessarily fit together as seamlessly as they should. And there's no real ebb and flow or real climax. Of course, it's early days--that performance was tent-a-tive to the nth degree. But it's a much smarter program choice to me than the MJ program was. I just wish they would rethink the ebb and flow/program construction. Right now I see at least three places in the program with awkward, saggy transitions. YMMV of course. And I say all this with love--because they really are a joy to watch.

lcd

Match Penalty
The USFS SKATING Magazine blog has a rotating gallery of additional photos which were taken during Maia and Alex's October issue cover photo shoot.
http://skatingmagazineblog.com :yay::yay:

It's a shame that there are apparently glitches to the Actable app which are making it difficult to see their 'exclusive video' they made for their Cover issue.
:disapp:

Hopefully they will be able to post that to their Youtube site so that more people can enjoy it.

lcd

Match Penalty
Author/vlogger John Green thinks the ShibSibs are "pretty great"

Youtube vlogger and author John Green, who wrote "The Fault In Our Stars" tweeted that he thinks the ShibSibs and their Youtube channel "are pretty great".
https://twitter.com/johngreen/status/435221493669064704

From the past 2 weeks on their channel, their most recent VLOG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_wd0Wmr0Ys&list=UUPB7-Ktk6nn4BBm299eL_IA

And Music Video
ALIVE featuring TheIce 2014 cast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCcM_XO_OTY&list=UUPB7-Ktk6nn4BBm299eL_IA

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh John Green...since when he switched to FS? The last time I remember he followed World Cup very closely, he even created a new Twitter account for World Cup.
But anyways I like him. And he likes the Shibs. More reason to like him.