Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Shibutani's seem to be on a lot of "ambassador" lists. Very busy off-season. Exciting for them and terrific for the profile of figure skating to have currently competing athletes at another State Department function.

They were in DC a few years ago as well for a dinner back when Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State.
They wrote a very amusing blog about that evening.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120508&content_id=30719578&vkey=ice_news

Oops ... I had misremembered the previous occasion as a luncheon, not a dinner.

But we are recalling the same event :). Thanks for looking up the old link.

ETA, this afternoon Maia tweeted a photo of what looks like the formal invitation to the luncheon for PM Abe:

Last edited:

Celine

On the Ice
Another VLOG :shocked:

Their second trip to New York when they were at the Shorty Awards for social media. Went to some great restaurants including Marcus Samuelsson's Red Rooster. They met him at the Figure Skating in Harlem benefit. Don't watch their vlogs while hungry.

New York Again + More #Offseasoneats
http://goo.gl/tYfBZ1

Celine

On the Ice
Newest VLOG :cheer:

New York for the SHORTY AWARDS. Awards show for Social media

Cameos include Johnny Weir, Alton Brown from the food network, Bill Nye the science guy, and John Green, author of the book that became the movie "The Fault In Our Stars"

https://goo.gl/R8DvFp

Getty Images pic of Maia and Alex from the "Red carpet"
http://goo.gl/1dJpqb

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love how prolific they are with their vlogs these days, the advantage of being in the off season, I guess (and all the food they're enjoying).

The Shortys were held at the Times Center (next to the NY Times Building)- it really made no sense that they were rushing through Times Square (going north I believe), when the Times Center is actually on West 41st street and south and west of Times Square. (Can't fool this New Yorker!)

It looks like they had a great time (and great seats). Were they nominated for anything or were they just guests? I think the Shibs deserve an award for their Vlogs, which are always fun. When they retire, I can see them having their own online show or something like that. They are both articulate, professional and polished on camera.

Barb

Record Breaker
So this is official

SD Coppelia
FD Fix you (Coldplay)

I love that Shibs share us soon their choices of music and Vlogs, the off season is being interesting :yes:

TMC

Record Breaker
Their FD music is the bet news of the day! I love Coldplay and I loved their Ex, I hope it will be something as magical as that :)

Can anybody tell me if this lift would be acceptable in a competition programme? It's not quite stationary and it's not quite rotational so I'm not sure. I adore it (as I adore most stationary lifts, probably because they're so rare) and would love to see something like it in their FD (or any FD for that matter).

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Can anybody tell me if this lift would be acceptable in a competition programme? It's not quite stationary and it's not quite rotational so I'm not sure. I adore it (as I adore most stationary lifts, probably because they're so rare) and would love to see something like it in their FD (or any FD for that matter).
No, unfortunately it would do only as a choreographic lift. I think it is not right for any category and wouldn't get them levels. But I like it too a lot.

TMC

Record Breaker
No, unfortunately it would do only as a choreographic lift. I think it is not right for any category and wouldn't get them levels. But I like it too a lot.

Thank you! :) Great that there is something like a choreo lift to make these beautiful things possible even in competitions.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Shibutanis will be guest instructors at a two-day ice dance seminar in June at Arctic Edge.

Davis/White and Belbin also will be guest instructors.

Cute photo of mini-Maia with mom Naomi.

And the cooking stuff that the Shibutanis taped a while back with Boitano will be up this month on the USOC site.

Alba

Record Breaker
Shibutanis working with Peter is a great news. Their gala program last season is one of the best I've seen like EVER. This is coming from someone who hates galas.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Shib fans, I hope you will check out the new OP update.

I found lots of old articles, videos, and other info. If there is anything I missed, please tell me.

Barb

Record Breaker

I found lots of old articles, videos, and other info. If there is anything I missed, please tell me.

ohhh!! Thank you Doris, I wondered when would be the turn for the Shibs.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My vague plan is to have spiffed up Fan Fest OPs for all skaters on next year's GP- and then have a link to Fan Fests as well as the other stuff in the competition OPs.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Thanks, Doris :).

FYI, the Shibutanis website has been out of commission for an extended period. Definitely for some weeks ... maybe even for some months.
(Can't remember exactly how long ago I noticed it was no longer up. Maybe around the time of Worlds??)
I do hope that it returns, but the long dormancy is not reassuring.

My vague plan is to have spiffed up Fan Fest OPs for all skaters on next year's GP- and then have a link to Fan Fests as well as the other stuff in the competition OPs.

Thanks esp. to Doris -- and to Mrs. P, as well as to non-mods pitching in :).

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Alex is so FINE i am so attracted to him :love:
That is really cute and impressive how Maia and Alex's relationship is fusional. After spending all year training and competing together, they still go on holidays together!! Or maybe they are with their parents or something but still I find it impressive.