Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P - I don't doubt that they will bounce back in the FD but the fact that they switched SDs is a bit worrisome...go SHIBS!

It's possible that they didn't want to be compared to Giles and Portier, who introduced their Mary Poppins SD earlier in the season. But that is sort of a dumb reason -- I actually think they would do their own great version.

On the other hand, they might be trying to get out of the box and prove they can do different types of programs.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Still at a loss why the Shibs didn't do any Senior Bs this year....

Just a theory, but maybe the Shibutanis were trying not to travel quite as much this year b/c of their college schedules?
Although they have competed at Senior Bs in the past, this year Maia is a new student at U Mich, and perhaps she wants to do everything to make her freshman experience enjoyable and successful, both socially and academically.
The Shibs will be abroad for three consecutive weeks for Cup of Russia and NHK. And if -- fingers crossed :) ;) -- they qualify again for the GPF, Four Continents, and Worlds, they'll be away from home for several additional weeks (including Nationals).

I wonder whether Zoueva will stay overseas with the Shibs btwn CoR and NHK -- or whether she will rush back to Canton to work there with Davis/White before NHK (and with Virtue/Moir, who in all likelihood will need to prep for the GPF)?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I hope Alex recovers from his injury! This was not a great competition for these two, but I admire both of them for going for it and doing the best they can. I do think the FD is a beautiful can can be a real winner for these two.

As for the SD....I'm 50/50 on it. If they went back to Mary Poppins or did something else, I wouldn't be disappointed.

We'll see if he can recover well enough for NHK.

IleK

On the Ice
I hope Alex recovers from his injury! This was not a great competition for these two, but I admire both of them for going for it and doing the best they can. I do think the FD is a beautiful can can be a real winner for these two.

As for the SD....I'm 50/50 on it. If they went back to Mary Poppins or did something else, I wouldn't be disappointed.

We'll see if he can recover well enough for NHK.

Can you tell me please what was wrong with him? I didn't understand and neither did our eurosport commentators.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Can you tell me please what was wrong with him? I didn't understand and neither did our eurosport commentators.

According to an Russian article posted in the FD thread, he suffered a leg injury during the FD.

IleK

On the Ice
According to an Russian article posted in the FD thread, he suffered a leg injury during the FD.

Thank you. It wasn't very visible, I couldn't see when that happened. I thought it was something wrong with his hand.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Tweets from Maia Shibutani ‏@MaiaShibutani after the Rostelecom FD:

Thank you for your concern. Alex has a strained quadricep. He did his best to fight through a severe muscle spasm that occurred in our FD.
10:48 AM - 10 Nov 12

We're disappointed, but we're fighters and we know what we have to do.
10:49 AM - 10 Nov 12

The crowd today was incredibly supportive. We are so touched. I am so proud of Alex for continuing!
10:50 AM - 10 Nov 12​

ETA:

Universal Sports has a 3:02 edited video pkg re the FD from the Shibutanis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tebdTyitnI&list=UUyXcaeoE4Rdun24zvqJW5Tg&index=1&feature=plcp

The caption to the video pkg says that Alex aggravated an old leg injury.

And if my ears heard correctly (at approx. 2:07):
In the Kiss and Cry, Alex seems to say, "I almost couldn't ...," as he hangs and shakes his head. Maia immediately reassures him, "You did it, you did it."
It's heartbreaking -- but also heartwarming, because they always support each other.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Maia is such a great partner/sister! Alex is right that she is a 30-year-old in an 18 (or 17 at hte time) year old body. She is so mature for her age. I love the first thing she did after the FD was over was to say "Are you OK?" Alex's well-being, not the competition, was her first priority.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... It's heartbreaking -- but also heartwarming, because they always support each other.

And Alex Shibutani ‏@AlexShibutani has now sent these gracious tweets (which are making me teary):

Thank you so much for all of your concern. I have the best partner and sister. I couldn't have done it without her.
12:46 AM - 11 Nov 12

Special thanks to my coaches, Marina + Maurizio, Team USA and the audience in Moscow who supported us. Your warmth/sincerity means so much.
12:47 AM - 11 Nov 12​

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for all the twitter updates. Wishing Alex a speedy recovery.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Maia just posted on their Facebook page:

On our way to Japan! Thank you so much for all of the support and kind messages. It was great being back in Russia and we can't wait until our next visit. Alex is doing his best to recover so we can begin our preparations for NHK. As always, we'll keep you posted! - Maia

So it looks like for now they're in for NHK. Hoping for a speedy recovery and a good competition for these two.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And this tweet from Alex Shibutani ‏@AlexShibutani sounds promising:
Made it to Japan! ✈ #Moscow #Nagoya http://instagr.am/p/R9ww-kwm3o/
1:43 AM - 13 Nov 12

(For those who like cool photography, his Instagram link is worth a look.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker