Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 55 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

nieves

On the Ice
They have my favorite SD of the season, even moreso than Virtue/Moir. The opening choreo is just :love: so sharp and perfect.

SunDae

Rinkside
The start of the program is indeed Spiegel im Spiegel.

Haunting. Beautiful. A timeless quality. Their skating. Simply elegant. Plays to their strengths.

Alex said in the teleconference that the music included original arrangements and was recorded for them by members of the San Francisco Symphony orchestra. Big difference actually. "SFO" is one of the top American symphony orchestras.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the best part of this FD is that it is not Fix You 2.0.

Their first World medal was unexpected and I think it really hurt when they came back to what seem to be an inferior version of their bronze medal FD.

I think what is really cool to see is that this time around, they know they are among the best and they are using that capital to try new things and have gained new-found confidence.

(Which is not surprising considering the fact that they managed to win a national title and a world medal after scraping their way back from arguably rock bottom. More seems possible when you do something like that).

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
The Skating Lesson's first look at Evolution and interview with Marina with a cameo from Alex.

https://youtu.be/ReHMsQ4QYjI

I don't want to get too excited but this FD is the program I wanted "Fix You" to be. I think this program is absolutely a step in the right direction. I only hope the judges agree with me.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
They got a great TES score despite lower than expected level on their lift and counting a level 2 on their no touch. Great GOEs and all PCS above 9s. The judges really can appreciate hip hop if done well. Congrats on the great SD score Shibs!

Tallorder

On the Ice
If people want to (of course) compare scores, I think the PCS is a very good omen. Their music decision was definitely bold. They took a huge risk. As sad as it is to say, they went authentic. (Imagine that. In Figure Skating?) They did a true Hip Hop mash up. But it's not some random explanation for why the pieces are smashed together. It's loaded again with authenticity and impeccable attention to detail. The connection between Frank Sinatra and Jay-Z. The hand gestures between twizzles, the final pose, and so much more.

TES wise, this was a tough panel. The Shibutanis are obviously capable of getting Level 4s on their footwork and PST. That's 1.5 x2 = 3 points just in base value. Then a level 3 lift is an anomaly for them. Make that 4 points left on the table for them to pick up. And this is not necessarily a 'they wuz robbed by the panel' post (though it's pretty clear to pretty much everyone but the person on the panel himself) but we can all do the math. Good start to the season.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
That panel seemed fair and gave similar marks to other teams but that level 3 on the lift puzzles me so much that it makes me wonder about the two level 2 calls. They may be correct, but I still don't get that lift call at all.

msmelissa

Rinkside
The lift is still puzzling to me too! This rotational lift is very similar if not the same one from their "Fix You" FD and it was always level 4. The issue with this particular lift last season was a deduction for time violation.

Tallorder

On the Ice
Performing Like Never Before, Maia and Alex Shibutani Take the Lead
http://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/Oc...Alex-Shibutani-Take-The-Lead-At-Skate-America
by Brandon Penny

Maia and Alex Shibutani are taking hold of their career and it’s paying off. They made the decision to mashup Frank Sinatra and Jay Z for their short dance music. They made the decision Maia would wear pants for their short dance costume this season. They made the decision to sit out the Challenger Series events and, for the first time in a couple years, debut their programs on the grand prix series. Those decisions led to the Shibutanis leading the field after Saturday night’s short dance at Skate America. Performing to “That’s Life,” they earned a 73.04 to lead Ekaterina Bobrova and Dmitri Soloviev of Russia, who scored 68.92. Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue are close behind in third with a 68.78.

The Shibutanis appeared to be a new team on the ice. The choices they are making for themselves are bringing more confidence to their skating and their performance.

“You can see it with performance, right?” said longtime coach Marina Zoueva. “They’re not just dancing, they’re not trying, they’re not just competing. They did a performance. That’s why I’m really happy about that. I can see they’re a package – the music, the costume and the way how they perform. I was very happy.

The package they are presenting comes on the heels of a breakthrough season where the Shibutanis won their first national title in their sixth attempt and a career-best silver medal at world championships, proving themselves as the top American ice dance team. Now they hope that silver medal will be a springboard to build off.

“We’re just trying to take everything that we do in our skating to the next level,” Alex said. Alex, 25, is the one whose brainchild it was to blend Sinatra and Jay Z for their short dance. He says it’s an homage to the journey it took he and Maia, 22, to get to this level of their career. “We’re skating to ‘That’s Life,’” Alex explained. “You have your highs and your lows, you brush the haters off and you keep going and doing it your way. And we’re doing that.”

To help bring the idea to life, they brought in Quest Crew, winners of “America’s Best Dance Crew.” “They’re the best crew that we’ve ever gathered and to have them help us with this program in particular gives us a lot of confidence,” Alex said. “Ryanimay helped us out. He’s an amazing and talented dancer and musician and we’re really happy. We love listening to the music even when we’re not practicing. It’s a lot of fun.”

The Shibutanis are looking forward to carrying that fun through the season and are confident their performance of the program will only continue to improve as they progress toward nationals and world championships. “We know that’s one of our best qualities – that we always improve and show improvements, so we’re really looking forward to Cup of China next,” said Maia.

As for the call for Maia to wear pants this season, it was a decision made by the Shibutanis and Quest Crew once costume rules were changed recently. “It’s not a choice a lot of other teams are making, but it really allows us to show our leg lines and movement and really just skate freely,” Maia said. “It was a collective thought from the group that created the program, and it’s one thing to have the idea, but it takes confidence to wear pants out there, and I have that now! So it’s just fun.”

naz

On the Ice
Was there any confirmation who choreographed their EX, Lambiel or Buttle?

I think they announced that they'd be skating to Jarryd James when they were working with Stephane, so I'm pretty sure it was him who choreographed the EX. They also shared a snippet of the program when they were with him in Switzerland, and it's the earlier one they did, as they worked with Buttle later on in the off-season. :)

seabm7

Final Flight
I think they announced that they'd be skating to Jarryd James when they were working with Stephane, so I'm pretty sure it was him who choreographed the EX. They also shared a snippet of the program when they were with him in Switzerland, and it's the earlier one they did, as they worked with Buttle later on in the off-season. :)

Thank you!