Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 61 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

beki

Medalist
99% of the time I love Eurosport commentary, so I'm sad the Shibs don't get love from them, but oh well. At least they talk up H/D. (I prefer both to C/B.) I have no idea what Hanretty meant. I don't see the point of gossip that is so vague it isn't even gossip. What came to my mind was possible friction between them. But that wouldn't be strange for a brother and sister. If he meant they are somewhat cutthroat behind their perfectly amiable image, it doesn't change my opinion in the slightest. Good for them, so were D/W. This is ice dance! I will be in Helsinki cheering them on.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
99% of the time I love Eurosport commentary, so I'm sad the Shibs don't get love from them, but oh well. At least they talk up H/D. (I prefer both to C/B.) I have no idea what Hanretty meant. I don't see the point of gossip that is so vague it isn't even gossip. What came to my mind was possible friction between them. But that wouldn't be strange for a brother and sister. If he meant they are somewhat cutthroat behind their perfectly amiable image, it doesn't change my opinion in the slightest. Good for them, so were D/W. This is ice dance! I will be in Helsinki cheering them on.

Eurosport tends to be pretty high on them apart from Hanretty.

The way I see it, you can't make it in this sport, especially ice dance without being a bit of a shark. I mean, at times even I wonder how the Shibs lasted as long as they did considering the way their career was going from 2012-2015. They seemed like they could have been doing many other things with their smarts, ingenuity, looks, and resources. But they badly wanted to stay on and prove to everyone they belonged in this world.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I seriously cannot wait to see how the Shibs do. Someone on FSU posted some stats, and out of all the competitors competing at Nationals, the Shibs have the longest running streak of most consecutive medals won at Nationals (from Juveniles to Seniors) with 12 and most consecutive medals won at the senior level with 6. They also won national titles in every level of nationals except for Juvenile (where they won silver). If only they won the Juvenile title as well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yes it's pretty impressive, especially since some of those medals came during really tough years. It speaks to the caliber of their work.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really hoping the Shibs will be able to repeat at Nationals. Anxious to see their new programs live again. Good luck!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
good luck to the Shibs, here's to hoping they can repeat as Champs.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
They were GREAT! And with the higgest SD score at a US Championships! Congrats Maia and Alex! I hope they nail that FD tomorrow :cheer"

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Maia added so much more attitude and fire in her performance, it was like seeing it for the first time. This record-breaking performance shows what competitors the Shibs are. They could have faltered after hearing that monster score from H/D, but they were just cool as a cucumber out there and really hit it on all cylinders. I'm incredibly impressed with how well they skated here. Their edges and power on the pattern and partial step improved by leap and bounds from the GP events. I think Alex and Maia are entering a new phase where they are going for a bit more power at this competition and letting go a bit more than they did before.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Maia added so much more attitude and fire in her performance, it was like seeing it for the first time. This record-breaking performance shows what competitors the Shibs are. They could have faltered after hearing that monster score from H/D, but they were just cool as a cucumber out there and really hit it on all cylinders. I'm incredibly impressed with how well they skated here. Their edges and power on the pattern and partial step improved by leap and bounds from the GP events. I think Alex and Maia are entering a new phase where they are going for a bit more power at this competition and letting go a bit more than they did before.

This. I was very impressed at Marseille because they skated just after P/C FD in France, people gave a crazy ovation to P/C and Shibs looked so calm, smiling and projecting too much self-confidence, even more than V/M. Enjoying the moment. Same in the practices. Seriously, they should to talk with Gracie.

mintx

On the Ice
chapis;1608943Seriously said:
No no no, leave Gracie alone. I don't want her off kilter vibes to rub off on them. I loved loved their program. I soooo want them to win.

Bahar

Rinkside
I couldn't find any video of their short dance at Youtube. Can you guys share a link please ? :)