Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 69 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

charmblade

Final Flight
The Shibs' mom is becoming my favorite part of their vlogs. You can tell she wants to take a picture with the panda SO BADLY.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Great IceNetwork article on the Shibs:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017...anis-hopeful-creative-journey-peaks-at-worlds

For the last few seasons, Maia and Alex, now 22 and 25, have taken a larger creative hand in their routines. That includes the music for their "Evolution" free dance, which underwent some final editing before Helsinki, five months after its debut at Skate America.
The program's first half is set to "Spiegel im Spiegel" ("Mirror in the Mirror"); only now are the skaters ready to talk about the second-half selections, including "Truman Sleeps" by Philip Glass and Max Richter's "The Departure," from the HBO series The Leftovers.

"Maia and I really liked ["Truman Sleeps"], but the original track didn't have a strong enough ending for our program," Alex said. "I had ["The Departure"] in my head, and we listened to it again and again on our way to the rink. There was a moment when I realized the two pieces fit together. So it was again about talking to Ryanimay and Hok and Marina, and working with family friends in the San Francisco Orchestra, to arrange pieces a certain way. It involved a lot of adjustments over the season.
"We didn't end up listing our music selections; we just titled it "Evolution" because our process was continuing," he added. "It turns out it has taken almost the entire season."
Keen-eyed fans may notice a late addition to the siblings' ISU bio.

"For worlds, we'll actually put down the pieces," Maia said, laughing.
Throughout the season, the siblings kept their collaborators -- including the L.A. group, as well as Peter Tchernyshev, Stéphane Lambiel, Jeffrey Buttle and others -- in the creative loop by emailing and texting links to their latest performances.

"It's always about looking at the program as a whole," Alex said. "So we'll send a link without any comments because we don't want to influence or guide their feedback."
The Shibutanis began working with Onik -- who competed on Season 11 of FOX's So You Think You Can Dance and choreographs live stage shows, music videos and commercials -- at the suggestion of Meryl Davis. Since 2015, Onik has worked with several U.S. ice dance teams, including at U.S. Figure Skating's Champs Camp, to polish programs.
"Just sending me the links, with no comments, lets me tell them if I think a part was improved, what I felt was lacking or if it was brilliant," Onik said. "You have to constantly keep curating, and they know it. When you work with people that hungry, it's easy to keep the choreography growing."

Looks like we have Meryl to thank for the Shibs working with Serge Onik. A part of me truly thinks one reason (but not the only reason as I think coming back to the grind of competition and having both partners agree to devote all that time and hard work to it is probably the main reason) Davis/White decided not to come back was because they are seriously rooting for the American dance teams to have their shot to be stars at the Olympics. They seem very supportive of the Shibs, Chock/Bates, Hubbell/Donohue and the rest of the American ice dance field.

Barb

Record Breaker
How they organize and deal with so many people and decide which feedback to take? and trying not hurt susceptibilities in the way

I am having problems with my thesis because my assessor/adviser says one thing, another assessor says something completely different, my director of thesis is not agree with the changes and he hates my assessors :palmf: :scratch: :scowl: :sad46: . Please Shibs, write a book!!

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I think they are used to skate in first in their group now, last worlds they did. Plus, the GP series, they did it too. Not a problem :agree:

TMC

Record Breaker
I walked past Alex three times today and couldn't stop staring :D He's achingly beautiful :)

Barb

Record Breaker
Well, the Shibs are innocent until the opposite is proved :p. Honestly, I don´t understand that level 2, but the camera is terrible.

I think they faced two big problems:
1. Dostatni and Igor are very good friends.
2. Maia is using new boots :palmf: .

If they skate their FD like they did in 4cc, they should to get a medal :yes:. But you know, the mentioned problems won't resolve tomorrow, so, my expectations are low :eek:hwell:.

SD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS9u5jENslI&feature=youtu.be&t=297
Protocols http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1617/wc2017/wc2017_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf

Tallorder

On the Ice
Yet another excellent skate from Maia and Alex. The impact to the score and placement, coming solely from two base value calls made the difference between them being 2nd or 5th. The level of ownership they are bringing to their craft is exceptional. The trust they obviously have to have with their coaching team, and their ability to collaborate and integrate reveals a level of intellect and maturity that is rare.

If there's one thing they've shown the skating world over the years it is that they are competitors. They've always been aware of the skeptics. Yet, they have repeatedly shown the ability to rise to the challenges before them, achieving what most would not have thought achievable.

I remain confident in them. All the best to them when they perform their exquisite Free dance.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
I have to say that their no touching step seq was fabulous :rock:. I don´t understand why P/C got higher score at that element, they were clearly off sync.

musicfan80

Medalist
Good Luck to the Shibs in the FD! I think if they are clean and hit their levels, they will have no problem getting at least a bronze. :yes:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Wishing good luck to the Shibs tomorrow. To bad about the missed levels but I thought they did an excellent job. I have confidence that they will skate lights out tomorrow
and hopefully they can move up, but it is difficult to move up in this discipline especially from 5th place. Fingers and toes crossed.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
:hap36:Conrats to the Shibs for eeking out the Bronze Medal. The skating gods were smiling on them today!

Last edited: