Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 83 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I put the Shibs in first in my predictions -- I had considerd hedging my bets. But I'm tired of thinking they have to settle for second or whatever (they're not going to), so here I am. GO SHIBS. :)

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I put the Shibs in first in my predictions -- I had considerd hedging my bets. But I'm tired of thinking they have to settle for second or whatever (they're not going to), so here I am. GO SHIBS. :)

I second this - and put them as no.1 in predictions game, too. I think that even if they'll come second, it just won't discourage them, especially if they will give 110% - I keep thinking also that this is their first outing with new programs, it's definitely a learning curve about how they'll resonate; they should stick to the feedback, not to the results necessary (but I know it's kind of naïve and wishful thinking).

SD has a huge potential - it's so universally appealing in various areas: musical (like you said above - it's infectious to hum out the music and smile hearing it), visual (choreography is so musical, sleek, sharp, detailed, with lovely flow) and expression-wise (they are doing just right amount of 'punch' in terms of gestures, face and Latin/ballroom references). It creates very natural atmosphere, watching even their mere practice put me at ease, allowed me to enjoy actually the festive, fun, cheeky performance, not only sole movement and music. To be able to create this kind of complexity in performance is a virtue of great skaters, conscious and sure about the effect they want to achieve, I am so ready for today's SD!

My maracas are ready for Perez and Shibutanis!:cheer:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
AMAZING SD!!! amazing dress!
Im in love again!:cheer::bow:
My fav of their SDs ever along with 'the doll' one

& my fav dress of the season!!:love::yahoo:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow, their performance was amazing, fabulous :yahoo: :bow: :sad21: , and the score is great because basically the judges only overscored to russian teams .

SD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aREBn2rFtN4 :popcorn:
:jaw: The expressiveness (both facial and body), the speed, the ice coverage, the ease and fun!!!!!!! I LOVE IT ALL!!! :love: They already look so comfortable and happy skating it. Also, the costumes and sparkles and makeup are even more exciting close up. GO SHIBS!!! :cheer2: All the best in the FD!!! :hap85:

rosacotton

Final Flight
I was not expecting the Shibs to win the SD! Good for them. (Hit those levels in the free dance!) I really like this program, and look forward to seeing how it grows as the season goes on. :luv17:

Barb

Record Breaker
FD :love: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvgHeSlwN84 First place!!
protocols http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gprus2017/gprus2017_IceDance_FD_Scores.pdf

they were amazing, I mean, even without sound their skating looks so wonderful, so fluid, and with those costumes both look so beautiful and perfect. The lifts are great and again their speed is notable. I agree about the slow section being too long but after watch it several times it looks really good, but they should work about it.

Another thing is in the second part of the program, the music has not the same intensity of the original song (though apparently they are using a live version), I am not sure if it is just the quality of sound of the arena or the video, I doubt it. When the singer is singing, the voice is heard as if it were far away, and this part https://youtu.be/uvgHeSlwN84?t=251 is my favorite in the original song, and is the climax I guess, but in their program it does not sound so intense like the original https://youtu.be/1G4isv_Fylg?t=209.

It could benefit of a more intense sound, like the original ¨Fix you¨ program. Last season they added more instruments to up the intensity of the last step seq last season and that worked wonderfully. Maybe they did it on purpose for add the final details later, so the program will look different and better at nationals and olympics. I can not believe how much they have improved and everything they have done and worked in the off season. I do not know how people dare to say: we have V/M and P/C and then far behind the rest of top 10 where they are all practically equal and able to win the bronze :rolleye:, I mean, I like G/P but put them at the same level of Shibs, come on!!

shadowsinwinter

Rinkside
I just took a quick break from pairs to rewatch the Shibs program and noticed that they included one line from Fix You and if my ears were not deceiving me, there was a little bit of Evolution as well, which I thought was a really nice way of acknowledging their journey through the past two seasons and closing out this trilogy?

(really, I'm writing this in hopes that I'm not the only person who teared up at that part!)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I just took a quick break from pairs to rewatch the Shibs program and noticed that they included one line from Fix You and if my ears were not deceiving me, there was a little bit of Evolution as well, which I thought was a really nice way of acknowledging their journey through the past two seasons and closing out this trilogy?

(really, I'm writing this in hopes that I'm not the only person who teared up at that part!)

Yes!! Alex mentioned there were quite a few Easter eggs for fans in this FD. I think I heard a bit of "O" at one point. :) Also I feel like their first lift is a direct descendent of the one they did in 2011, and you see how far they came in this area.

Barb

Record Breaker

omg, how I missed it!!

shadowsinwinter

Rinkside
Yes!! Alex mentioned there were quite a few Easter eggs for fans in this FD. I think I heard a bit of "O" at one point. :) Also I feel like their first lift is a direct descendent of the one they did in 2011, and you see how far they came in this area.

(Rewatched it for the second time, yes I heard a bit of O, too! And I didn't notice that about their first lift, though I thought it resembled their last lift in Evolution before they changed it out!)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to the Shibs! SD is best Rhumba I have seen from the top teams! FD was nice but I did not love it like their SD, yet. Their skating and elements were first rate they are in incredible shape.

Zhafiraiha

On the Ice
I just saw their free skate and despite it not giving me the same kind of goose bumps that Fix You gave me, it was still an absolute delight to see their FD. I also love that first lift, the way Alex lifted Maia so close to the ice, the way Maia repeatedly went to her knees, it was just spectacular!

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
CONGRATS, SHIBS!!! :yay: I like the FD a lot as far as the actual content, although the music didn't do it for me. The lyrics went too fast and actually most of it was sounds only. I need to watch this program on an actual TV and hear the music clearly to fully grasp it. Did the arena itself not have good sound for all programs, or was it simply not the right sound for this song? The music sounded rather far away. :confused: I have a feeling Maia and/or Alex is going to be in tears after this FD at Nationals and Olympics (maybe many of us fans as well). It's gorgeous!!! The lifts seem so seamless and easy, instead of "I have to stop and do a lift now." Their movement has a wonderful flow about it throughout the program. The costumes have such beautiful and eye-catching color to them. :love: So many skaters have programs that are so emotional this season. I think many of us will be crying tears of joy/sadness/gratitude/whatever and it's going to be fabulous!!! :biggrin:

Barb

Record Breaker
CONGRATS, SHIBS!!! :yay: I like the FD a lot as far as the actual content, although the music didn't do it for me. The lyrics went too fast and actually most of it was sounds only. I need to see this on an actual TV and hear the music clearly to better grasp it. Did the arena itself not have good sound for all programs, or was it simply not the right sound for this song? The music sounded rather far away. :confused: :

I have the same problem. Maybe the sound in the arena was not the best, or who broadcasted it, hear the music of Tarasova/Morozov, compare from Nebelhorn https://youtu.be/9TVNcxllpZU?t=30 to Russia https://youtu.be/r_yIxq0x-AU?t=95, this sounds a lot better in Nebelhorn. Well, I hope that was the problem :laugh:

eta. 1

and Anastasia GALUSTYAN Nebelhorn https://youtu.be/0OfXiANUH1o?t=43, Rostelecom https://youtu.be/blrvDNQc4wI?t=35
Ugh!!! if there is something that I hate more than a bad camera work is a bad sound :disapp: :palmf:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Congrats to the Shibs! SD is best Rhumba I have seen from the top teams! FD was nice but I did not love it like their SD, yet. Their skating and elements were first rate they are in incredible shape.

Yes, one of the things I've noticed is it seems they are getting much more ice coverage with that set pattern than they have in the past. I was very impressed.

pearly

Record Breaker

They also included the same twizzles (same arm movements) as in the Fix You program. Paradise is a great program, but I have to say I liked Fix You better.