Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 91 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Barb

Record Breaker
Here's a random comment about the Shibs: It seems that they are somewhat of a loner pair within the other US teams/skaters. I'm not inferring that they are unfriendly but it seems that you don't often see them pal-ing around with other US ice dance skaters during galas, before/ after competitions. Sometimes you'll see them with other country skaters, but not US and usually not ice dancers. It this just their personality gravitating to those they feel comfortable with or a purposefull strategy to distinguish them from Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donahue? I don't think I've ever seen either US ice dance competitors in their vlogs. No psycho-analysis required - just an observation.

I was at GPF in Marselle and C/B and H/D were not precisely pal-ing around. I know that Madison Chock is very close friend with Ashley and Marissa, and Madison H. with Gabriella P. , I guess the ambient in US ice dance is a little tense, just like V/M and D/W used to be friends and all changed when they were fighting for the gold medal. I guess C/B see them like the team that took their place as number 1 in the USA, and H/D see them as the team that is preventing them from reaching the first place. We do not know if it is Maia and Alex who are moving away from them, or if it is C/B and H/D who are moving away from Maia and Alex, they used to be friends https://www.instagram.com/p/U8uJmFBdu0/?taken-by=splashmadison, Alex and Evan were roomates.

Anyway, Maia is Alex's best friend, he always says it, and he also always asks Maia if he is her best friend :laugh:, to which she always answers yes. So, actually they are super best friends with American ice dancers (Maia and Alex) :p. ¨chapis logic¨.

Barb

Record Breaker
Thank you :eek::

It was really fun and as a sentimental fan for so long, I've always loved their personalities, it was really nice to dissect these three programs and look at the technical goods. I watched them all several times and added little markers to note the movements that really stood out to me. One of my favorite elements from the get go was from the 2016-17 program "in blue". There is a spin where he lays her on her back across his knee and she lays there flat. It's great and the exit out is very nice. Their attention to detail stood out more and more with each time I watched and made adjustments to match the song I chose. The little looks they gave each other and the crowd...the fist pumps...the little in between steps where they look like they are doing exactly what they were born to do. It's all so great!

I'm not a new fan of them but my anticipation of their next performance is increasing. I'm a better fan now ;). Glad you liked it....it was so enjoyable to make this.

I guess you mean the Stationary lift https://youtu.be/89NNWcQBLZs?t=163, agree, it is great.

MRani

On the Ice
Thank you :eek::

It was really fun and as a sentimental fan for so long, I've always loved their personalities, it was really nice to dissect these three programs and look at the technical goods. I watched them all several times and added little markers to note the movements that really stood out to me. One of my favorite elements from the get go was from the 2016-17 program "in blue". There is a spin where he lays her on her back across his knee and she lays there flat. It's great and the exit out is very nice. Their attention to detail stood out more and more with each time I watched and made adjustments to match the song I chose. The little looks they gave each other and the crowd...the fist pumps...the little in between steps where they look like they are doing exactly what they were born to do. It's all so great!

I'm not a new fan of them but my anticipation of their next performance is increasing. I'm a better fan now ;). Glad you liked it....it was so enjoyable to make this.

I love that stationary lift too! It’s beautiful and fits the mood of the program so well at that point.

I also wanted to offer my thanks for the video, Sam! I enjoyed it greatly. You did a truly wonderful job :)

jf12

Final Flight
Here's a random comment about the Shibs: It seems that they are somewhat of a loner pair within the other US teams/skaters. I'm not inferring that they are unfriendly but it seems that you don't often see them pal-ing around with other US ice dance skaters during galas, before/ after competitions. Sometimes you'll see them with other country skaters, but not US and usually not ice dancers. It this just their personality gravitating to those they feel comfortable with or a purposefull strategy to distinguish them from Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donahue? I don't think I've ever seen either US ice dance competitors in their vlogs. No psycho-analysis required - just an observation.

I don't think C/B and H/D hang out with each other either!!

MRani

On the Ice

I think the competition between the top 3 American ice dance teams is so intense right now that it’s too difficult to maintain a genuine friendship with each other at the same time. I’m sure they all respect each other but being close when you have to fight each other for the title of US #1 all year wouldn’t be easy. I don’t think C/B and H/D spend time with each other either.

Maia and Alex seem to be good friends with the junior and new senior US ice dancers. They’ve had pictures with the Parsons and Carreira/Ponomorenko on their Instagram recently.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't think C/B and H/D hang out with each other either!!

I think the competition between the top 3 American ice dance teams is so intense right now that it’s too difficult to maintain a genuine friendship with each other at the same time. I’m sure they all respect each other but being close when you have to fight each other for the title of US #1 all year wouldn’t be easy. I don’t think C/B and H/D spend time with each other either.

Maia and Alex seem to be good friends with the junior and new senior US ice dancers. They’ve had pictures with the Parsons and Carreira/Ponomorenko on their Instagram recently.

I was at GPF in Marselle and C/B and H/D were not precisely pal-ing around. I know that Madison Chock is very close friend with Ashley and Marissa, and Madison H. with Gabriella P. , I guess the ambient in US ice dance is a little tense, just like V/M and D/W used to be friends and all changed when they were fighting for the gold medal. I guess C/B see them like the team that took their place as number 1 in the USA, and H/D see them as the team that is preventing them from reaching the first place. We do not know if it is Maia and Alex who are moving away from them, or if it is C/B and H/D who are moving away from Maia and Alex, they used to be friends https://www.instagram.com/p/U8uJmFBdu0/?taken-by=splashmadison, Alex and Evan were roomates.

Anyway, Maia is Alex's best friend, he always says it, and he also always asks Maia if he is her best friend :laugh:, to which she always answers yes. So, actually they are super best friends with American ice dancers (Maia and Alex) :p. ¨chapis logic¨.

Regarding Hubbell/Donohue: I think slider was referring to this picture: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcpWjIEF6np/

Keep in mind that Madison Hubbell used to be training mates with Evan Bates way back in the day when Hubbell skated with her brother Keiffer and Evan skated with Emily Samuelson. Madison Chock used to be training makes with Zach Donohue when he skated with Piper Gilles and they were all training with Marina/Igor in Canton. So they go back a bit, hence the reference to "lifelong friends."

It seems Chock and Bates got to know Papadakis/Cizeron better this season -- they were both at Cup of China and Internationaux de France.

I think the Shibs' deep friendships have just come through differing circumstances and they prioritize certain relationships over others, especially given their busy schedule -- let's keep in mind they're doing a lot of other stuff the other ID teams are not, such as endorsements, Pyeongchang mentorship with that Korean middle school, LA 2028 athlete committee stuff, YouTube/social media stuff.

They have been long-time friends with Ross Miner ( I used to ship Ross and Maia at one time :laugh:). And it seems their relationships have been forged on Japan-based tours like SOI, The ICE and Denis Ten's ice show in KAZ (hence their strong friendships with people like the Japanese skaters, especially Takahito Kozuka and Kanako Murakami, and Russian skaters like Elena Radionova and Trankov/Volozhaar) and their increased efforts on social media (i.e. Arden Cho and the other LA-based YouTubers). And it seems like when they're in Detroit and not training, Maia spends a lot of time with people like Alissandra Aronow (https://www.instagram.com/p/BW3aiFyADS2/?taken-by=alissandra.aronow), another ice dancer that trains with Marina and as chapis pointed out, with Alex. And I think they have a nice relationship with Meryl/Charlie (https://www.instagram.com/p/BbAkwkslk2Q/?taken-by=maiashibutani), but it's just that their schedules don't intersect much.

I don't think it should be read that they're loners among skaters -- they just simply put more time relationships outside of skating, or more specifically among skaters competing.

[also this is all based on looking at instagram pictures, and we all know that doesn't always give a full picture]

FWIW, Tessa Virtue doesn't post a lot of photos of a lot of other skaters other than Scott.

Last edited:

WGloria

Rinkside
It's interesting because when I think of the Shibs, a completely different word comes to mind. It's not "loner" (huh?) but "leader." I'm so struck by how they are really so responsible as "team leaders" in a way that is so exemplary. It is not their mindset to just pal around with their immediate peers. They join dance classes with the rising new seniors at Champs camp. They obviously made a point of sitting at the GPF closing banquet table with the junior skaters. (If I was a junior at my first final, it would make me so happy that these elder statesmen, or "Grandpa Alex and Grandma Maia" thought it was "cool" to sit with me!) I bet it would be easier to just default to sticking with familiar senior clique. Instead, the underlying meaning is so heartwarming and is exactly the kind of generous behavior of smart team leaders.

Also, what's the point of going to international events and sticking with US skaters? In their dozens of blogs over the years, you can see that they enjoy many longstanding friendships with skaters from other disciplines, countries and generations: Team Japan, Javi, Dennis Ten, Kaitlyn and Andrew, Pang and Tong, and many Russian skaters. When they are with Stephane Lambiel they freakin' live with him, cook food, immerse themselves in skating and creating. As an Olympic sports fan I also love seeing their friendships with athletes from other sports like gymnast Chris Brooks and speed skaters and free style skiers. It's fun to see them all liking and commenting on each others social media posts. Maia and Alex also seem way busier than most US skaters with activities and friendships with successful people outside of the skating world. They celebrate birthdays in LA, NY and Las Vegas with actors, artists and chefs. As US athlete ambassadors and with what seems half a dozen sponsors and partners flying them around to attend red carpet Oscar parties, movie premiers, back stage meet ups with Cold Play. It seems to me, their lives simply revolve around different circles than just US skaters and ice dancers. They seem to enjoy really fun, cool and exciting friendships to me!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
It's interesting because when I think of the Shibs, a completely different word comes to mind. It's not "loner" (huh?) but "leader." I'm so struck by how they are really so responsible as "team leaders" in a way that is so exemplary. It is not their mindset to just pal around with their immediate peers. They join dance classes with the rising new seniors at Champs camp. They obviously made a point of sitting at the GPF closing banquet table with the junior skaters. (If I was a junior at my first final, it would make me so happy that these elder statesmen, or "Grandpa Alex and Grandma Maia" thought it was "cool" to sit with me!) I bet it would be easier to just default to sticking with familiar senior clique. Instead, the underlying meaning is so heartwarming and is exactly the kind of generous behavior of smart team leaders.

Also, what's the point of going to international events and sticking with US skaters? In their dozens of blogs over the years, you can see that they enjoy many longstanding friendships with skaters from other disciplines, countries and generations: Team Japan, Javi, Dennis Ten, Kaitlyn and Andrew, Pang and Tong, and many Russian skaters. When they are with Stephane Lambiel they freakin' live with him, cook food, immerse themselves in skating and creating. As an Olympic sports fan I also love seeing their friendships with athletes from other sports like gymnast Chris Brooks and speed skaters and free style skiers. It's fun to see them all liking and commenting on each others social media posts. Maia and Alex also seem way busier than most US skaters with activities and friendships with successful people outside of the skating world. They celebrate birthdays in LA, NY and Las Vegas with actors, artists and chefs. As US athlete ambassadors and with what seems half a dozen sponsors and partners flying them around to attend red carpet Oscar parties, movie premiers, back stage meet ups with Cold Play. It seems to me, their lives simply revolve around different circles than just US skaters and ice dancers. They seem to enjoy really fun, cool and exciting friendships to me!

thank You, WGloria for some great thoughts that inspired me to add something about this 'Shibutanis loners' topic/outlook.

You've rightly pointed out the 'team leaders' perception for Maia and Alex - it is a my impression, too. Since 2015/16 season, they truly showed a progressing 'ownership' and control taken over not only their skill, but integrating it all into whole 'bigger picture': program, presentation, music, personality and character expressed. This amount of individuality poured inside of their skating showed for me how mature they became and how consciously they started to take their material - they started to have more 'introspective' perspective for it, sourcing from their points of inspiration, relationship, experience and route they went, not from others, how they compared to them, how others' work related to theirs etc. Maybe this is a reason they can be now received as 'loners' of some sort - they stopped to look around and started to look forward or at themselves in relation to the things they are doing. and to be honest - it feels way more exciting and creative to see their progress looking like that.

I think that they at some point started to be more 'out' there with their own interests, passions, inspirations - they became more vocal about other things in life than just skating and it showed a different perspective of them as people, not only skaters (which then for me also influenced my view on them as athletes). Their activity on ice and off-ice became more organic and fluid, making the picture of getting inspired by things happening in their daily life - and in that they really should be a role models, regardless of your material status, profession, age and so on: they are simply trying to make their daily life inspiring, exciting and that fuels them as skaters I feel. They seem to take a bit of their 'everyday life' to the ice and show it to the people - that kind of vulnerability and realness I really applaud. And it makes me focus solely on them, not on the people they interact with.

Them not interacting with other US skaters in a way other skaters do it does not mean that they are isolating or making themselves looking 'better than others' out there, quite the opposite actually I think - as they gave themselves a freedom to decide about how intense their interactions are with other skaters, they respect others' freedom, too, speaking always very highly of their competitors and not making themselves any better in comparison. What I noticed lately, is how they are focusing on their own stuff and results in self-perspective of improvement, constant progress - which is another thing to admire for their maturity and self-responsibility over their actions.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I agree with many of the posts here. It’s clear that Alex and Maia are forging with their career and life outside of skating and them already having each other and being each other’s best friends may have made them feel less need to forge close friendships with their peers in ice dance. That doesn’t mean they aren’t friends with other people, have deep connections, or are at least friendly (I mean they grew up with these skaters). It’s just that they don’t need to substitute family because they have each other and are close in age and are doing the exact same thing in their life. It reminds me of Michelle and Karen Kwan where obviously Michelle Kwan wasn’t freezing people out but she had her sister/best friend with her at almost all times and they were way more than happy to just spend all their time together.

That all said, I have noticed a change in dynamic among the top U.S. ice dancers. I believe Maia and Madison Chock used to post on each other’s social media (like back in 2014 or prior) and they all used to hang out. I remember Evan Bates being quick to applaud Alex and Maia during the 2016 Nationals press conference. I remember Madison Hubbell talking about rooming with Maia several times during competitions and how they had a special relationship prior to 2016 Worlds. In that same season, we saw Zach in a few of their vlogs. Now they are all vying for the same rankings and titles and are all able to do so. Right now, the Shibs are the no. 1 U.S. team, so it’s interesting to both Madisons now taking photos together and sharing them for the public. I also noticed a bit of an exchange between Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donohue at last year’s National podium and suspected they sort of bonded.

Barb

Record Breaker

Shandy

On the Ice
They are in Dallas

shibsibs: We’re in Dallas for the @galleriadallasiceskating Tree Lighting Celebration! If you’re in the area, come watch us perform saturday night! Show starts at 6pm!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcv79__hT_Y/?taken-by=shibsibs by the way, what a beautiful christmas tree
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcv3R26F6am/?taken-by=maiashibutani

-----
eta 1. I miss their instagram live as usual, thanks God for this user https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r98NI6uTsHI

I will be there tonight! 😀

Shandy

On the Ice
Here's some pictures from tonight's event! My vantage point for the skating was awful, but thankfully there was a photo/autograph session afterward and I got to meet everyone. :)

Barb

Record Breaker
Okay, I can't stop watching the video that Maia posted https://www.instagram.com/p/BdB137lh21y/

She was the most adorable baby girl. And it is so cute she imitating to Alex. My little sister used to do the same, she repeated everything I said all the time. It was so annoying but now I think it is so cute, lol.

-------------

And it seems they are sponsored by under armour. They are using their clothes all the time, I was about to ask you about it but Maia posted a picture with their sneakers yesterday.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Okay, I can't stop watching the video that Maia posted https://www.instagram.com/p/BdB137lh21y/

She was the most adorable baby girl. And it is so cute she imitating to Alex. My little sister used to do the same, she repeated everything I said all the time. It was so annoying but now I think it is so cute, lol.
:luv17: The Shibs post so much adorable stuff from when they were little. It is so wonderful, because we can see they had a great bond even before they started skating together. Their bond started early, that's for sure. I love how much they love life. Thanks so much, chapis, for sharing this here! :love:

Cutesmile

Rinkside
so cute ! At the beginning of the video they were holding hands :love: they can share a lot of memories. I'm kind of envious my parents didn't really film events from my childhood.
it's nice to see their strong bond, for siblings it's rare to be this close and even rarer to find siblings winning ice dance competitions at the senior level. It's definitely harder to be recognized in the figure skating world as siblings but they managed to do it, that's amazing !