Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Maia & Alex Shibutani

Custom Title

Maia & Alex Shibutani

I wanted to start a thread for Alex and Maia's upcoming (hopefully rebound) season. There have been many posts about how as siblings their music choices are limited but I actually feel like they could use that to venture into music we haven't seen interpreted yet. As they are a team with particularly smart genes I would love to see them create something a bit more intellectual. I would love to see them interpret something from a movement, like Simon & Garfunkel's "the Boxer" or "America". Or even something from Bob Dylan or Joan Baez. Ice dance has traditionally been all about pathos but why shouldn't ethos have a moment in the spotlight as well? Good luck to Alex and Maia this season!

Edit: I'm sure they've already picked and learned both programs but I guess the music part is more what I hope we see from them.

Their ISU bio
    http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011168.htm
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 04-09-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    I wanted to start a thread for Alex and Maia's upcoming (hopefully rebound) season. There have been many posts about how as siblings their music choices are limited but I actually feel like they could use that to venture into music we haven't seen interpreted yet. As they are a team with particularly smart genes I would love to see them create something a bit more intellectual. I would love to see them interpret something from a movement, like Simon & Garfunkel's "the Boxer" or "America". Or even something from Bob Dylan or Joan Baez. Ice dance has traditionally been all about pathos but why shouldn't ethos have a moment in the spotlight as well? Good luck to Alex and Maia this season!

Edit: I'm sure they've already picked and learned both programs but I guess the music part is more what I hope we see from them.
    I know it's overdone in singles, but perhaps they can interpret "Rhapsody in Bleu" by Gershwin.

I do not think Gershwin would be a smart move. It will be along the same lines as their programs from the last two seasons- redoing the same thing over and over again. Sun Valley Serenade was from the 1940s, Smile from the 30s, and Rhapsody in Blue is from the 20s. They need something new, not music from the beginning of the 20th century for three whole seasons.
    Last edited by DianaSelene; 06-18-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    From the Shibutanis' Facebook page today:
    "We are excited to announce that we will be performing in the Saturday Night Ice Show in Lake Placid, New York on June 23rd, 2012 at 7:30 pm. Hope to see some of you there!"

I have no suggestions on music but I love this couple. TheirWC bronze in 2010 (or was it 2011) made be so happy because I thought how classicly they danced, and that I was watching pure skating at it's highest level. My taste apparently was in accord with Ms Bezic who said "Ice dancing-skating-doesn't get much better than this." I wish them well, and while it seems it would take a retirement to get out from under the top two Canton teams, a royal shakeup would be fun. I don't think they are limited, as there is a world of music to choose from that does not have a romantic or sexual theme. Nice thread for a gorgeous team.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post

Well, it's pretty well-documented that I'm a major Shibs fan, but it's not without merit. I find it interesting that they have disappeared from all prospects of medaling or even being the top 5 ever again because of their subpar finish at Worlds. I wouldn't count them out so easily. As I've said in past threads, I think they will bounce back because they are a hard working team. That work ethic has been instilled in them since they were kids — Johnny Weir noted during their National ex that he remembers them putting in extra rink time in NYC when they were at the juvenile and intermediate level.

All things considered, this wasn't a terrible season for them. They won their first GP, got a silver medal in their second one and got into the GPF. They won their second silver medal at National quite easily. The down times, unfortunately came at the big events — 4CC and Worlds. And knowing what we know now about S/Z, I can't help but wonder if somehow the tensions affected their training (along with Alex getting sick at 4CC?)

Anyway, I'm hoping for a better season from them and that they prove their critics wrong. I do agree that they will probably need to veer away from the jazz standards they've done in the last two seasons. I really liked their Cinema Paradiso program from the 2008-2009 season — I think something like that would be wonderful.

They are a fun-loving pair with a great sense of humor, it would be cool if they did a program that reflected that. I put something out there--how about Blues Brothers? Of course that would require Maia to cross-dress a bit, but hey wouldn't that help break the meme that everyone keeps putting on them?

Custom Title
    Blues Brothers would be fun if Maia cross dressed but its probably still too close to the jazz pieces they've done these couple seasons. I'm more of a folk rock fan-- there's just such a rich variety to choose from, I'm honestly surprised skaters haven't really delved into that genre.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I wouldn't count them out so easily. As I've said in past threads, I think they will bounce back because they are a hard working team.
    Though I always admire the hard work of skaters I'd like to point out that it's not all. And Sh/Sh had a lot they need to improve to get on Worlds podium again that has nothing to with how much time they spend on the ice. They need other programs - something that is not "cute little youthful dance". i.e. something less cutesy. And they need other facial expressions on the ice except "sunny smiles".
    That's being said I generally doesn't find the concept of the siblings ice teams appealing and Shibs are no exception.

So you are saying you are biased against them, Redstone?

As for the Shibs, if they can get their technical level back to where it was before Alex was sick at 4CC (their levels were low at 4C and Worlds and they made errors at Worlds probably because their training time was affected), I would never count them out.

Custom Title
    I think the Shibs are awesome - albeit still young! I hope they stay together and keep maturing in their skating. It doesn't bother me at all to watch siblings skate together but I do agree with Redstone about the "cute little youthful dance!" I would like to see them skate to something serious and mature. Maia is a beautiful young woman and Alex is a handsome young man. Whatever their music is this year I hope it reflects beauty and maturity. I certainly haven't given up on them and look forward to seeing them compete this year.

Custom Title
    With their technical abilities they could try something like Riverdance?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    So you are saying you are biased against them, Redstone?

As for the Shibs, if they can get their technical level back to where it was before Alex was sick at 4CC (their levels were low at 4C and Worlds and they made errors at Worlds probably because their training time was affected), I would never count them out.
    I spoke to their parents at 4Cs and they told me how hard the kids worked on their SD - sometimes until midnight. That extra work plus school obviously affected their performances at 4Cs since it was shortly after the US Nationals and Alex got sick. BTW Alex never mentioned that he was feeling poorly. They probably have the quietest blades in skating today, so I am sure they can stage a "comeback" this season. I agree that they need to stay away from the Gershwin tunes for awhile. I like classical for them this season. Not sure they are ready to go "out of the choreo box" yet as I think they need to reestablish their great technical skills.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Since they're fun-loving, perhaps they could do something silly yet technical--along the lines of the Addams Family.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    From the Shibutanis' Facebook page today:
    "We are excited to announce that we will be performing in the Saturday Night Ice Show in Lake Placid, New York on June 23rd, 2012 at 7:30 pm. Hope to see some of you there!"
    It's so exciting that this summer they are getting so many show offers! Even more experience getting out there and performing...and it's like they are really being recognized on a wider scale. I can't wait to see them at THE ICE especially in July, what a treat for them and us fans

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by 100yen View Post
    It's so exciting that this summer they are getting so many show offers! Even more experience getting out there and performing...and it's like they are really being recognized on a wider scale. I can't wait to see them at THE ICE especially in July, what a treat for them and us fans
    That's an interesting point 100yen.

I think the Shibs are to Ice Dance what Rachael Flatt is to ladies. Both seem to garner a lot of haters on figure skating boards (though I would say the Shibs don't get as much grief as Rach does), but when you look outside those boards, it's clear that both have a solid fan base and respect from the industry as a whole. I think the fact they get invited to shows is indicative of this.

Though I always admire the hard work of skaters I'd like to point out that it's not all. And Sh/Sh had a lot they need to improve to get on Worlds podium again that has nothing to with how much time they spend on the ice. They need other programs - something that is not "cute little youthful dance". i.e. something less cutesy. And they need other facial expressions on the ice except "sunny smiles".
    That's being said I generally doesn't find the concept of the siblings ice teams appealing and Shibs are no exception.
    Of course work ethic isn't the be-all-end-all. But it will be a factor to their future success. Who says that they haven't heard this feedback regarding programs? They reworked the SD all season long because of negative feedback from judges -- as KKonas points out they worked late hours to do so. How many times have we talked on these boards about skaters who have all the talent — and great programs — to only be hampered by a lack of work ethic? I think the Shibs are in a much easier position to improve because of a solid work ethic.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 06-19-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast