Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Maia & Alex Shibutani

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    If you think the present-day Shibutanis are cute, you gotta see this photo:
    http://instagram.com/p/O9-mMVy7oH/

Caption: " Ballers 4 life! "
    Tweeted by Maia Shibutani ‏@MaiaShibutani to promote their YT video.
    3:07 PM - 30 Aug 12

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Binthere View Post
    Elegant and musical skating to Michael Buble's "Lost"
    From TheIce tour in Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwRZD...eature=g-all-u
    It's so nice to finally see a professional camera version of this!
    When I first saw this program it made me tear up a little bit. It's an absolute perfect choice for them. It describes how they can make it through anything together with their close relationship and it's a very personal message of hope to their spectators/fans at the same time. After a long day of hard work or mixed-up emotions or just feeling "lost", watching this lightens one's heart somehow. I just adore this program!!

What 100yen said.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 100yen View Post
    When I first saw this program it made me tear up a little bit. It's an absolute perfect choice for them. It describes how they can make it through anything together with their close relationship and it's a very personal message of hope to their spectators/fans at the same time. After a long day of hard work or mixed-up emotions or just feeling "lost", watching this lightens one's heart somehow. I just adore this program!!
    I agree with everything you say here! I could just sit and watch the Shibutani's "Lost" and Kozuka's "Sound of Silence" all day long!!

Thanks for sharing those nice thoughts. I just watched that program for the first time and really enjoyed it.

I enjoy the Shibs so much and am not even exactly sure why - but there is something about them....not just the way they skate but also the way they relate to each other that seems special to me.

Custom Title
    Per icenetwork:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Maia and Alex will be skating their freedance to John Williams score for Memoirs of a Geisha.

Quote Originally Posted by cornell08 View Post
    Per icenetwork:

Maia and Alex will be skating their freedance to John Williams score for Memoirs of a Geisha.

I will be an optimist here. Yes, they did skate to this music when they were at the novice level, but I think it will be interesting to see how they will skate to this music as adults. Also, I think it's neat they're working with someone who is an expert in traditional Japanese dance.

And it's not the first time that someone has dusted off music they skated to early in their career and turned it into something great. (Michelle Kwan skated to East of Eden in her first year of seniors (1994) and brought it back in 2001.)

Custom Title
    I am fine with skaters bringing back programs....as long as they are worth bringing back. I'm sure they'll bring something more to it now compared to when they were seniors, and I did hope they'd go in a different direction than the past two seasons...but I guess I've just never been a fan of the soundtrack for any skater. Its becoming the Yellow River Concerto of Japanese American skaters.

Banned
    There are plenty of examples of skaters reprising music successfully. Brian Joubert of course, and Michele as mentioned. Also in dance, Davis and White skated to Die Fleidermaus as youngsters. If I did the math correctly, the Shibutanis last did Memoris when they were novices and Maia was only 12. I agree, they should have so much more to bring to the program as young adults.

It is cool that they are collaborating with the original dance choreographer from the movie. Should certainly help the the authenticity of their interpretation. I can't wait to see their costumes. Maia's especially.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    I am so thrilled with the music choice, I think I have to let myself calm down and rationalize before I comment on it

But one thing that jumped out to me from this article is that they were battling injuries in February and March and that Alex had a back injury that hampered training!! They never publicly mentioned this before at all...I'm so amazed they still did as well as they did. A skater will typically mention this in a passing interview or comment as an update on their training, but we heard nothing from them. I have even more respect for them now

Custom Title
    But one thing that jumped out to me from this article is that they were battling injuries in February and March and that Alex had a back injury that hampered training!! They never publicly mentioned this before at all...I'm so amazed they still did as well as they did. A skater will typically mention this in a passing interview or comment as an update on their training, but we heard nothing from them. I have even more respect for them now
    Actually, I wish they'd disclosed the injury last season. It would've helped explain the subpar performances at 4CC and Worlds. It's frustrating as a fan to see a favorite skater not performing well, and not knowing why. It's a lot easier if you at least understand they're dealing with a physical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    Actually, I wish they'd disclosed the injury last season. It would've helped explain the subpar performances at 4CC and Worlds. It's frustrating as a fan to see a favorite skater not performing well, and not knowing why. It's a lot easier if you at least understand they're dealing with a physical problem.
    I have mixed views on this. I get what 100yen is getting at -- it's admirable that they did not use injury as an excuse or that they tried their best despite the injury. But I agree eyria that it would have been nice to get this information earlier -- especially with all the chatter regarding the Shibs' competitiveness. A lot of people took Worlds 2012 as an indication of what's to come, i.e. that the Shibs would get passed by other teams leading up to Sochi or that their medal from 2011 was a fluke, etc.

I still think the Shibs will have to have their best game especially with the great improvements from the likes of W/P and C/L and even I/K and B/S, but it's nice to know that they have more to give.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    We'll finally get our first look at the new SD and FD from the Shibutanis at Cup of Russia this week.

And fast-forwarding to a future presidential election, the Shibs have their eyes on even bigger goals.
    @AlexShibutani, @RossMiner, and @CharlieaWhite have been tweeting among themselves about this IN blog:
    The Inside Edge: Skaters' nominations for POTUS
    By Sarah S. Brannen and Drew Meekins, special to icenetwork.com
    (11/06/2012)

But @MaiaShibutani had the best tweet of all:
    @rossminer @_ohheyjamie @alexshibutani If the 2028 ticket is A. Shibutani/Miner, we all know who'll be running the show. Me. #iamtheboss
    1:03 PM - 6 Nov 12

Looking forward to finally seeing the Shibs programs! GO Maia and Alex!

Tons of fun stuff from the Shibsibs from Moscow:

http://visualrian.ru/en/site/gallery/#1283301/context[feature]=227367 <---- photo from practice. It looks like they're wearing their FD outfits! They look nice.

Tweets and photos from Maia:
    Apparently jlo is on tour in Moscow. @AlexShibutani is looking for her to see if she wants to be in a #Shib http://instagr.am/p/RxOy_VS7t5/
    At the Opening Reception with Tessa, Scott, & @alexshibutani. Looking forward to tomorrow! http://instagr.am/p/RxucuCS7j2/

Alex:
    Reunion with my partner from #THEICE2012, @sotnikova96! http://instagr.am/p/Rxuj0qwm8e/
    With @brezinamichal and Taka at the Opening Reception. (Photobomb courtesy of Rudi Swiegers @ Moscow, Russia http://instagr.am/p/RxvBAlQm8w/

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast