Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Barb

Record Breaker
I was watching this version of the Spanish tv because it has really high quality and it is very funny because I think is Paloma and says ¨they are Phillipinos but they train in New York¨, and she says too ¨I think she is their mother, she is very excited ¨ 3:53 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15FC69o0gZY
I love Paloma but she has not idea about ice dancing :laugh:.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Shibs in the last place in the free dance :cry:, really???? they are soooo bad? It is the first time I really connected with this program and this happened. ok, if this is not time to leave to Marina I don´t know when.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Shibs in the last place in the free dance :cry:, really???? they are soooo bad? It is the first time I really connected with this program and this happened. ok, if this is not time to leave to Marina I don´t know when.

The score was actually and improvement from Cup of China.

And really I don't see how a coaching change at this point of the season will help.

Honestly looking at the protocols, they don't event have to make drastic improvements, other than perhaps changing the first lift. And maybe changing the spin. They said they have been working on getting the level up on their step sequences, I just think the TC was super strict today

Last edited:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot for almost ruining my make-up today. Because that EX really is so pretty I almost cried. And to coldplay, for heaven's sake, ugh, that's just so not my thing, how could you do this to me?

MIM

Medalist
I have no idea about the scoring in ice dancing, but I love, love, loved their gala program so much. It just felt that I found what I needed. Sublime!!! I think not every great performance can be scored well and medaled. What they showed in the GPF gala especially, was the beauty and the reason why I watch skating.
:clap:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I have no idea about the scoring in ice dancing, but I love, love, loved their gala program so much. It just felt that I found what I needed. Sublime!!! I think not every great performance can be scored well and medaled. What they showed in the GPF gala especially, was the beauty and the reason why I watch skating.
:clap:

Thanks for this! Glad to see that some appreciate them for what they do well.

Barb

Record Breaker
Yes, the ex program is a dream, usually I don´t like exhibitions but this is so beautiful. Reminds me Mao, so many details.

ArcticMonkeys

On the Ice
I just watched their vlog first time and I laughed so much :rofl: I hope they would update it more often. They are amazing as skaters and as humans.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love watching their Vlogs - they always have a happy, positive and yet slightly snarky vibe to them. You can tell that the other skaters really like Alex and Maia and want to be in their videos. It was nice to see Kovtun letting loose with them.

They seem to really love food, especially Alex, and despite being world class ice dancers/skaters, they are very relatable as people.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Golly, this thread needs some love and updating.

Congrats to Maia and Alex to a great start to the second half their season that included a silver medal at U.S. Nationals and a bronze medal at 4CC! :cheer:

This is the first ISU Championship medal for Maia and Alex since 2011. They also smashed their personal best in the SD (also from 2011) by nearly 3 points and also had new PBs in the FD and overall as well!

As I've mentioned on other threads, I have seen a hunger for competition from these two that I haven't seen from them ever. I feel like we're really much seeing the second act of their career and I am excited to see where it goes!

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Golly, this thread needs some love and updating.

Congrats to Maia and Alex to a great start to the second half their season that included a silver medal at U.S. Nationals and a bronze medal at 4CC! :cheer:

This is the first ISU Championship medal for Maia and Alex since 2011. They also smashed their personal best in the SD (also from 2011) by nearly 3 points and also had new PBs in the FD and overall as well!

As I've mentioned on other threads, I have seen a hunger for competition from these two that I haven't seen from them ever. I feel like we're really much seeing the second act of their career and I am excited to see where it goes!

I totally agree! I've used to think that they're two kids who kinda let the tides roll over them without doing anything, but over the last few months, I really see them fighting back and proving their detractors wrong. And I know a lot of people have said this already, but I hope that Zoueva gives them a good program next year. I mean, if you think about it, the Shibs are her top team at the moment. Nikita/Victoria's future doesn't look that good right now and Aldridge/Eaton just split. The Shibs just need to keep up their technical scores and I see a great future.

Barb

Record Breaker
Yes, Shibs are doing great. And judges are noting it too. I can´t wait for worlds :cheer::cheer:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Scali gives the Shibsibs some love in this new article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/03/13/112544460

Icenetwork: You work with so many elite skaters that it's tough to list them all. Could you tell us which of your students impressed you the most this season and why?

I started this new work experience with a new school, not even a year ago, and I had the opportunity to work with many different athletes that I didn't know before. Every one of them gave me a lot, and I'm always impressed by the will that is driving these skaters to succeed in their career. If I had to pick one, Maia and Alex Shibutani are a team that is inspiring a lot of my work; there was a very strong connection between us from the start. I'm so impressed by the commitment they have for this sport and amazed by the improvement they've made this season. I am really excited to see what will come in the future.

I really think Scali has been great for them as well! :)

mnm464

On the Ice
Agreed...Except about the S/K bit, but I won't start anything...How many comps until off season again?Just worlds? I love all of their programs, but am eager to see next season, of course! And Mrs. P, I think Massimo is great with all the students judging from the competition and growth in the season. He has talent for coaching/choreo...It will be really interesting to see where Maia and Alex go with him and the coaching team, I am excited to watch! I wonder if it will be a 2 American teams(CB and SS) and a foreign team for the world podium?

Tallorder

On the Ice
Much respect for the level of continuous improvement that Maia and Alex have shown throughout the second half of the season especially.

Has anybody else noticed how much Maia has transformed her body this season especially? Striking maturity and fitness.

Whip smart and they show a lot of class on and off the ice. Their new coaching relationship with Massimo Scali gives reason for optimism. With their work ethic and positive attitudes I certainly hope to see them continue to challenge and rise.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Worlds Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIsSr3AOYGg

Looks like Maia and Alex are working on their SD with Alex Wong, per Alex's Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/585464069769035777

Alex is a ballet and broadway dancer (and also good at ballet and jazz) and former contestant on So You Think You Can Dance. He's also worked with Meryl Davis and Charlie White, so he has previous experience working with Ice Dancers: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121119&content_id=40358422&vkey=ice_news

I'm excited to see a new perspective in the Shibs' choreography arsenal. :)