Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Protocols http://www.kraso.sk/wp-content/uplo...20151001_ont/CSSVK2016_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf

Everyone criticize Chock/Bates but they are always getting level 4. How it is possible my Shibs only level 2, it is about more practice, technique, SS or what?

However the program is lovely, and the dress so cute.

It's about getting the edges in those key points. You could have a terrible choreographed program, but if you can hit your skate edges on that pattern that is what matters.

Definitely more practice. The Shibs, even in the Igor days/debut season, struggle with patterns in the SD. Last season we saw they were slow on the uptake but then had it down by the end of the season. I expect a similar pattern to occur this season. They knew they messed up the pattern --that is a good sign -- that mean they know exactly what they need to work on.

Alba

Record Breaker
It's about getting the edges in those key points. You could have a terrible choreographed program, but if you can hit your skate edges on that pattern that is what matters.

Not to bring down anybody but do you really see C&B (UK) having good edges and hitting them anywhere when they skate? And how the hell they have the same scores in SS as Shibs? For me it's a total joke.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Not to bring down anybody but do you really see C&B (UK) having good edges and hitting them anywhere when they skate? And how the hell they have the same scores in SS as Shibs? For me it's a total joke.
:hopelessness:it's a mystery.

chameleon

On the Ice
You don't have to have the best skating skills to get the levels. It's all about timing and precision in the SD.

Alba

Record Breaker
You don't have to have the best skating skills to get the levels. It's all about timing and precision in the SD.

Isn't it about all the different turns and edges as well? And what about the SS in general? I don't get that. I just don't.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Isn't it about all the different turns and edges as well? And what about the SS in general? I don't get that. I just don't.

I definitely don't agree with the PCS scores, but as far as the pattern, Penny and Nick got one more key point to get level 3 (vs. level 2 for the Shibs). But they got level 2 on their step sequence, vs. level 3 for the Shibs, so the Shibs actually higher BV and higher +GOE for overall higher TES.

Had Shibs got just level 3 on both sequences, they would have been closer to 65. Also the twizzle +GOE has been better in the past---that mistep by Maia on set two sort of cost them a bit in +GIE.

tulosai

Record Breaker

This. You quite literally just have to be on the correct edge at the exact second you are supposed to be. Your edge work in general doesn't need to be good, your skating skills don't need to be good, in fact the skating before and after that moment can be sloppy as you want. It is only about the edge at that particular second. It's not entirely 'fair' maybe but that is how the pattern dance is scored.

I only saw the Shibs and C/B once today I didn't watch either program again, and I'm no tech caller either way. but I suspect that if I watched in super duuuuper slow motion I would indeed with some time and effort be able to see the edges the Shibs missed and how C/B were better.

Now if you want to talk about PCS, that's a whooooole different issue and I agree completely it is crazy how C/B and the shibs were scored relative to one another.

Alba

Record Breaker
I definitely don't agree with the PCS scores, but as far as the pattern, Penny and Nick got one more key point to get level 3 (vs. level 2 for the Shibs). But they got level 2 on their step sequence, vs. level 3 for the Shibs, so the Shibs actually higher BV and higher +GOE for overall higher TES. Had Shibs got just level 3 on both sequences, they would have been closer to 65.

Oh don't get me started with the PCS scores. They make even less sense to me. :frown: My problem is that I'm not convinced with those key points given to the other couples, and especially with the GoE's, in one of the most difficult patterns, for the ladies in particular.

Also the twizzle +GOE has been better in the past---that mistep by Maia on set two sort of cost them a bit in +GIE.

Yes, the twizzles weren't good and some +2 they got were too much but so was the +2 that C&B received for their twizzles which was a joke. However, the twizzles are Shibs forte so I don't think it's gonna be a problem later on.

This. You quite literally just have to be on the correct edge at the exact second you are supposed to be. Your edge work in general doesn't need to be good, your skating skills don't need to be good, in fact the skating before and after that moment can be sloppy as you want. It is only about the edge at that particular second. It's not entirely 'fair' maybe but that is how the pattern dance is scored.

But you definitely do need to have a very good edge work in order to receive a +2 for the execution. That's why the GoE's are for. I also do not agree with "the skating before and after that moment can be sloppy as you want". The SS section in PCS scores is given for overall skating and this doesn't happen just in the SD but also in the FD. That's my complain.

Last edited: