Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Maia & Alex Shibutani

I love it when the Shibs are at a competition because we get to see so many photos, blogs and videos from them.

Thanks for sharing!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Ross Miner ‏@rossminer
    Sending positive vibes to @alexshibutani and @MaiaShibutani at rostelcom cup!
    6:15 AM - 9 Nov 12

Awww, so sweet. Too bad that Miner can't return A. Shibutani's favor and cheer in person for his future running mate.

Alex Shibutani ‏@AlexShibutani
    For those of you watching #SCI2012 that was me shouting like a hooligan for @rossminer. #yeahbuddy #bossminer
    4:58 PM - 27 Oct 12

Ross Miner ‏@rossminer
    The official Shibutani/Miner campaign button. @AlexShibutani for President. #VoteShibuandMiner #DancersKnowPolitics pic.twitter.com/TorjWPUC
    4:17 PM - 6 Nov 12

Custom Title
    Still at a loss why the Shibs didn't do any Senior Bs this year....

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by heyhey View Post
    Not sure either. I think starting so late in the season, along with the fact they switched SDs at the lat minute really created the raw performance we saw today. I'm hoping they'll bounce back in the FD. They've had that program for much longer, so I'm hoping for better things..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Not sure either. I think starting so late in the season, along with the fact they switched SDs at the lat minute really created the raw performance we saw today. I'm hoping they'll bounce back in the FD. They've had that program for much longer, so I'm hoping for better things..
    Mrs. P - I don't doubt that they will bounce back in the FD but the fact that they switched SDs is a bit worrisome...go SHIBS!

skating philosopher
    Mrs. P - I don't doubt that they will bounce back in the FD but the fact that they switched SDs is a bit worrisome...go SHIBS!
    It's possible that they didn't want to be compared to Giles and Portier, who introduced their Mary Poppins SD earlier in the season. But that is sort of a dumb reason -- I actually think they would do their own great version.

On the other hand, they might be trying to get out of the box and prove they can do different types of programs.

Just a theory, but maybe the Shibutanis were trying not to travel quite as much this year b/c of their college schedules?
    Although they have competed at Senior Bs in the past, this year Maia is a new student at U Mich, and perhaps she wants to do everything to make her freshman experience enjoyable and successful, both socially and academically.
    The Shibs will be abroad for three consecutive weeks for Cup of Russia and NHK. And if -- fingers crossed -- they qualify again for the GPF, Four Continents, and Worlds, they'll be away from home for several additional weeks (including Nationals).

I wonder whether Zoueva will stay overseas with the Shibs btwn CoR and NHK -- or whether she will rush back to Canton to work there with Davis/White before NHK (and with Virtue/Moir, who in all likelihood will need to prep for the GPF)?

skating philosopher
    I hope Alex recovers from his injury! This was not a great competition for these two, but I admire both of them for going for it and doing the best they can. I do think the FD is a beautiful can can be a real winner for these two.

As for the SD....I'm 50/50 on it. If they went back to Mary Poppins or did something else, I wouldn't be disappointed.

We'll see if he can recover well enough for NHK.

Custom Title
    I hope Alex recovers from his injury! This was not a great competition for these two, but I admire both of them for going for it and doing the best they can. I do think the FD is a beautiful can can be a real winner for these two.

As for the SD....I'm 50/50 on it. If they went back to Mary Poppins or did something else, I wouldn't be disappointed.

We'll see if he can recover well enough for NHK.
    Can you tell me please what was wrong with him? I didn't understand and neither did our eurosport commentators.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by IleK View Post
    Can you tell me please what was wrong with him? I didn't understand and neither did our eurosport commentators.
    According to an Russian article posted in the FD thread, he suffered a leg injury during the FD.

Custom Title
    According to an Russian article posted in the FD thread, he suffered a leg injury during the FD.
    Thank you. It wasn't very visible, I couldn't see when that happened. I thought it was something wrong with his hand.

Tweets from Maia Shibutani ‏@MaiaShibutani after the Rostelecom FD:

Thank you for your concern. Alex has a strained quadricep. He did his best to fight through a severe muscle spasm that occurred in our FD.
    10:48 AM - 10 Nov 12

We're disappointed, but we're fighters and we know what we have to do.
    10:49 AM - 10 Nov 12

The crowd today was incredibly supportive. We are so touched. I am so proud of Alex for continuing!
    10:50 AM - 10 Nov 12

ETA:

Universal Sports has a 3:02 edited video pkg re the FD from the Shibutanis:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tebd...1&feature=plcp

The caption to the video pkg says that Alex aggravated an old leg injury.

And if my ears heard correctly (at approx. 2:07):
    In the Kiss and Cry, Alex seems to say, "I almost couldn't ...," as he hangs and shakes his head. Maia immediately reassures him, "You did it, you did it."
    It's heartbreaking -- but also heartwarming, because they always support each other.
    Last edited by golden411; 11-10-2012 at 02:43 PM.

skating philosopher
    Maia is such a great partner/sister! Alex is right that she is a 30-year-old in an 18 (or 17 at hte time) year old body. She is so mature for her age. I love the first thing she did after the FD was over was to say "Are you OK?" Alex's well-being, not the competition, was her first priority.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    ... It's heartbreaking -- but also heartwarming, because they always support each other.
    And Alex Shibutani ‏@AlexShibutani has now sent these gracious tweets (which are making me teary):

Thank you so much for all of your concern. I have the best partner and sister. I couldn't have done it without her.
    12:46 AM - 11 Nov 12

Special thanks to my coaches, Marina + Maurizio, Team USA and the audience in Moscow who supported us. Your warmth/sincerity means so much.
    12:47 AM - 11 Nov 12

Thanks for all the twitter updates. Wishing Alex a speedy recovery.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast