Weir to do quads in both programs; hires Morozov for step seq | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Weir to do quads in both programs; hires Morozov for step seq

noskates

Record Breaker
Skatefiguring - interesting uTubes. But I have a question. Wouldn't Johnny's coaches and choreographers see this and make adjustments? Don't they get feedback from the judges or the ISU or whomever on how they were scored in major competitions and what they lost points on? Seems to me if someone is going to the trouble of hiring a choreographer just to work on footwork, etc. etc. that getting this kind of feedback would be crucial if not absolutely required! I know it was filmed 4 years ago but were Johnny's programs the only ones critiqued in this manner? And who sees these?

And I guess by way of explanation where I'm coming from - I don't care for Evan for example. I was very happy he won the OGM for the US and as payback for the years of practice, etc. But to me he was all flailing arms and robotic execution. He seemed cold and not interested in the audience - just going from trick to trick and methodically performing his program. Was never really a fan of Katarina Witt's either for different reasons but she clearly had "it!" Whatever "it" is and she was an amazing performer. Having said that, I've been sitting here thinking what is it that makes me like one skater over another. Clearly I don't have the knowledge of all the ins and outs of judging like some of you do. I look at a performance and find it either pleasing, WOW!, or ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz - with a few spots in between. Kurt Browning had "it" in every thing he did. He laid it down on the ice but he also had the personality and the panache and was original. His Raggidon program was masterful in exhibition. His Casablanca one of my favorites EVER. I don't enjoy a skater who looks clearly choreographed and doesn't bring any personality to the program - doesn't feel the music with their whole body. In my opinion, Daisuke hits every mark but I don't have a connection with him. I could watch Patrick Chan all freakin' day and never get tired of his interpretations. When Jeremy Abbott is on - he's magical. But this is the first year I've felt that way about him. His SP was genius (thank you Benjie Schwimmer) and his LP was mesmerizing because he helped choreograph it and obviously felt the music. So why am I rambling? Because I still think Johnny Weir is one of the most graceful male skaters on the planet - ever! I don't care if his footwork is marginally easy or his transitions are simple.....he entertains me. I wish he would wear a starkly black costume without a sequin or a feather and just skate to a familiar lyrical piece that doesn't reek of angst or some hidden meaning. Just let his skating talk for him. I know that will never happen but..........

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Maybe Johnny will actually try quads this time now that a "<" is worth more than a 2A. It's a consideration to keep in mind that if it wasn't squeaky before the rule changes (2 footed usually netted the equivalent of today's "<<" ) it wasn't worth doing.

Hasn't ISU just decreed a mandatory -3 GOE for 2-footed landing? I have trouble accessing the new SOV table from ISU these days to verify that.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Skatefiguring - interesting uTubes. But I have a question. Wouldn't Johnny's coaches and choreographers see this and make adjustments? Don't they get feedback from the judges or the ISU or whomever on how they were scored in major competitions and what they lost points on? Seems to me if someone is going to the trouble of hiring a choreographer just to work on footwork, etc. etc. that getting this kind of feedback would be crucial if not absolutely required! I know it was filmed 4 years ago but were Johnny's programs the only ones critiqued in this manner? And who sees these?

The video is from ISU educational DVD for judges. Different skaters were used for examples without being named. E.g. Buttle and (16 year old) Chan were much used as examples of superior transitions and footwork. I think they mostly used retired skaters for negative critiques and the Russian federation protested successfully to have Plushenko removed when he unretired.

There is a matter of skills and ability in choreographing for a skater, or else everybody would skate level 4 footwork and jump quads. Johnny tends to water down more complex choreo in order to skate clean without visible errors (a 6.0 mentality). With his carriage and flow, his skates can be indeed beautiful to watch and cause fans' uproar when he gets docked for Edge or UR and receives low Transition and other PCS marks.

These days the Worlds podium contenders need both high level footwork and jumps. Abbott certainly has the ability when he is on but his nerves almost always get to him at major competitions. But he always keeps his footwork and attempts the hard jumps and his deservedly high PCS holds him up when his jumps fail him. That's why Chan is so formidable - both his TES and PCS are at reliably highest levels.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Go Keegan Messing, US Nationals Champion 2013! (hey I can dream)

I'd love to see this happen. 1. He's from the west coast. It's been 16 years since a male from the west coast won the title. Evan doesn't count. He was training in the west coast. He's a midwesterner.

2. He's from Alaska. I don't think we've had a skater from the youngest state win a senior national title.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have to admit Lysacek surprised me with his show program on Artistry On Ice. I think DWTS has done a lot to improve his movements and performance. :thumbsup: