Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Weir to do quads in both programs; hires Morozov for step seq

Custom Title
    Johnny has not talked about meddling at Worlds or the Olympics these days, just going to the Olympics and making his statement. He is prompted to come back partly because of what he sees in today's US Men's field. I don't think he will be able to beat Abbott by a long shot. Abbott is Worlds medal material if only he would perform his best there but he usually peaks at the Nationals so Weir's chances of winning the US Men title is very slim. Second place is a possibility if Lysacek does not come back as well. In any case, it is a deep field he has to battle. The results are very unpredictable because of rampant inconsistencies among the US Men.

Custom Title
    Possibly I'm prejudiced but I don't think anyone should count Johnny out or imply he isn't medal material at Nationals or anywhere else. He started working out wayyyyy before he even knew how the US federation would feel about him coming back. With this point system, I think Johnny is in a better position then he was before the change. I don't think he was at his best in Vancouver and I firmly believe politics played not only a part in his mindset but also in his placement. Now I will also be the first to say that Johnny has brought alot of this on himself and he admits that as well.

Jeremy Abbott, to ME, is like Alyssa Czsny.....I'm always waiting for him to self-destruct. His SP and LP at Nationals was awesome. His performance at Worlds was classic Jeremy choketime. I think Johnny can beat anybody in the US including Lysacek with a clean skate and quads. I also think the same thing about Adam Rippon with some changes. Basically what I'm saying is that the men's field right now is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open. And until the Grand Prixs start - all one can do is speculate! Like DianaSelene, I like Johnny's attitude. He has something to prove and it doesn't necessarily mean a medal. But getting a medal would be sweet!!

I look at Johnny Weir's comeback this way. I think he is a great performer and is really fun to watch so he doesn't need to become a champion at national or international competitions. We all have our favorite skaters and want to see them come back. I loved Lambiel's skating and did not care even when he lost a medal in Vancouver because I think his skating is amazing. So just coming back and giving the skater's fans more performances often means a lot more than medals. Kim did not win worlds last year but people were happy to see her attempt it. Cohen did not get to Vancouver but it was nice to see her skating again. I do not know whether Plushenko will be in Sochi and whether he will get a medal, but I love that guy and want more of his performances. Even skaters who came back and failed often said that they have no regrets. Better to try and not regret it than sit and watch the Sochi olympics thinking, "What if I would have made it?".

Custom Title
    Big talk which is interesting but let's see the action. Year after year we hear of people say they are adding 3A in ladies or the quad and improving this and than and year in and year out we often don't see that growth. I am sure everyone means well but not everyone can improve onto the podium or whatever. Someone has to go down or be bumped off - sadly but true. Otherwise we would have a podium overloaded with skaters. I wish Johnny luck but saying and doing are two different things. I think Patrick should add he will skate without a fall and Brian Joubert will skate consistently with better transitions ditto for Plushy - but can they execute - that's another issue.

Custom Title
    ^^^ I think both Patrick and Daisuke have been very good at delivering what they say they would do. Both are into improving themselves in various aspects but neither promise not to fall. That's one thing any skater pushing the envelop can't promise.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I think Patrick should add he will skate without a fall and Brian Joubert will skate consistently with better transitions ditto for Plushy - but can they execute - that's another issue.
    As SkateFiguring already wrote, such a thing as no falls can't be promised - a skater can be in top form, well prepared and completely confident, but a fall can still happen. As for Plushenko and transitions - he already had better transitions this last season. And, unlike Joubert, it would be extremely weird and crazy to call him inconsistent.

I am waiting for Weir's return with real interest, even though I am not sure that he'll be able to improve (COPwise) that much.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 06-20-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Custom Title
    Quads in the SP and LP...that's ambitious. I'm not sure the quad in the SP is a good idea tbh, unless his 4t has improved a lot since the last time he was competing... I'll believe this when I see it. Admire his confidence though.

Medalist
    Galina Zmievskaya is her name. So she and Johnny did the choreography themselves
    oh yes!exactly!I know how to pronounce it in chinese,but don't know how to spell it in English!thanx a lot
    well,in the article they said Johnny and she did the choreography together.I don't know if Prentenko attend too.Does anyone know if he still work with Galina?

I am not a Weir expert, but if he's done quads, it's not been a great many.
    he definitly have done Quads before.but I think not in Olympics or Worlds as I remembered.I think he had done quads sucessfully on nations and tried on GPs several times.can someone tell me if I'm right?

Jeremy Abbott, to ME, is like Alyssa Czsny.....I'm always waiting for him to self-destruct. His SP and LP at Nationals was awesome. His performance at Worlds was classic Jeremy choketime. I think Johnny can beat anybody in the US including Lysacek with a clean skate and quads. I also think the same thing about Adam Rippon with some changes. Basically what I'm saying is that the men's field right now is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open.
    That's what I think.nowadays,all the American male skater isn't consistant at all.everybody can beat everybody,EVEN WITHOUT QUADS IMO.altough Weir said he didn't come back for medals,I think he has big chance to get medals on nations.

btw,another chinese article says his Chopin program with Marton is part of his new LP,and the LP music is performed by Marton,I don't know if it is true.his fan club hold a fan meeting and asked many questions,but didn't give out any informations.
    Last edited by LuCN; 06-20-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Custom Title
    @2008 US Nationals where Johnny landed a quad! , two-footed, though.
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpw2zKWV1jA

These were posted somewhere before, but latest vids (April 2012) where Johnny landing quad/quad-triple-double. Only practice vids. Don't call URs, you guys, please.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU68DsxsSTU
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtR3KD9Xzz0

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LuCN View Post
    he definitly have done Quads before.but I think not in Olympics or Worlds as I remembered.I think he had done quads sucessfully on nations and tried on GPs several times.can someone tell me if I'm right?
    Johnny has done a quad once in LP at 2006 worlds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRP1nXKAHLY

And I believe he has done a quad in LP at 2007 Nationals. (couldn't find a video to prove it)

And Deedee's video above for his 2008 Nationals

His most successful quad was fully rotated but double footed. He has never ever done a clean quad jump in any competitions even in his prime. And he has never done a quad in SP ever. So I have no reason to believe that he can do it this time round. There is a small chance, though, that he has eased up his own expectations this time, and it might in turn help him to jump more successfully in competitions. In any case, I'll believe it and cheer him up if he does it successfully. But I will not be surprised at all if he doesn't. At this point, I still see this whole thing as attention-grabbing stunt. The point is not to jump a successful quad. The point is to talk about it for months. Hope he proves me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    [B]I don't think Lysacek is a factor in competitive skating anymore. Johnny's competition is Patrick Chan, Brian Joubert and a host of Japanese men. JMO
    Wait a minute! Am I reading it correctly?
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 06-21-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Medalist
    oh,then my memory is a little wrong...I once thought he did clean quads in nations,and double footed one on 06 worlds.then in nations he didn't do clean one too.maybe I confused practice video and nations...

hope he can do what he planed.he did lose weight a lot this year.look much better than last year on Artristy on Ice show.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Galina Zmievskaya is her name. So she and Johnny did the choreography themselves
    The product will certainly be economic.

By the way, maybe Petrenko is focusing on his new primary student Michel Brezina.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    If Johnny is the one to rejuvenate figure skating in the US, its popularity should not have declined while he was actively competing.
    exactly!!!
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 06-20-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post

I don't think Lysacek is a factor in competitive skating anymore. Johnny's competition is Patrick Chan, Brian Joubert and a host of Japanese men.
    Wait a minute! Am I reading it correctly?
    Let me give you some correct data on major international medals (Olympics, Worlds, 4CC/Euro, GPF) won by each of these skaters:

Weir (27): 3 Bronze ( 1 Worlds, 2 GPF)

Lysacek (27): 5 Golds (1 Olympics, 1 Worlds), 1 Silver, 5 Bronze (2 Worlds)

Chan (21): 6 Gold (2 Worlds), 2 Silver (Worlds)

Joubert (27): 5 Gold (1 Worlds), 6 Silver (3 Worlds), 7 Bronze (2 Worlds)

Takahashi (26): 3 Gold (1 Worlds), 6 Silver (2 Worlds), 3 Bronze (1 Olympics)

Kozuka (22): 2 Silver (1 Worlds), 2 Bronze

Hanyu (17): 1 Silver, 1 Bronze (Worlds)

Medalist
    you forgot Oda,though he only has a silver on GPF.

well,I know you may think it's redicular,but those results are only about their performance before,not now.

I do think he's main competitors are the American guys,but he may make good result in GPs while those people attend too.time can tell,we can just wait and see.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LuCN View Post
    well,I know you may think it's redicular,but those results are only about their performance before,not now.
    So what are the results now?

Three of these Men are much younger and still to peak. As well, all of them except Weir have successfully landed Quads, in competitions.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 06-21-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast