Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Weir to do quads in both programs; hires Morozov for step seq

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Thanks for the link! As it was two-footed it does not count as a successful quad, in my opinion.
    A two-footed quad is worth 8.3 points, or a bit more, under the current scoring system. That's 5 points greater than a 2Axel, which is what you have to do if you don't have a quad. So, it does count. A lot.

i'm so excited for his comeback, i hope it will be epic and that the quads do happen. even if he doesn't go to the olympics again or win another national title or even a medal, i'm fine with just watching the beauty of his skating.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Plus he is a COP master and knows what to do to win within the rules, which Weir is not, though he is making an effort, as indicated by hiring Morozov to help with his step sequence. But there is no total dedication and conviction, thus still all the preemptive rebellious claims. Takahashi, OTOH, is clear and determined on his goal, willing to do what it takes, which is carefully thought out, without ever dissing his rivals. There is a big difference in their mindsets and mental strengths.

Going with Johnny's records and recent words, competitive he is not. Not on ice. However, he has been reporting on how hard he is training these days, so it will be very interesting to see if he will be skating as well as his hay days, or better, and how COP compliant he may be.
    I'm NOT agree with you.Weir is a COP friendly skater,all his medals are under COP.COP make him can get medal, if under 6.0 he didn't have quads in the international competitions,then he may not able to get those marks.and he got many gold and other color medals on GPs too.

and his PCS isn't bad at all,though I think he should got better PCS than Plushenko and Evan.

which I can't understand is,people here all want to see Plushenko and Evan come back again.I think both of them are boring and mainly for the medals.none of them can bring new things to the sports.

Custom Title
    LuCN -

Custom Title
    Does it even really matter how CoP-compliant a skater's programs are? Personally, I can think of some skaters who have very obviously CoP-uncompliant programs and they nonetheless score huge PCS and have won Olympic and world medals under CoP....even gold ones.

Anyway, I too am glad to see Johnny come back, quad or no quad. I only hope that his reality TV show is still going on and they get lots of interesting behind-the-scenes skating footage.
    Last edited by evangeline; 06-21-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Does it even really matter how CoP-compliant a skater's programs are? Personally, I can think of some skaters who have very obviously CoP-uncompliant programs and they nonetheless score huge PCS and have won Olympic and world medals....even gold ones.
    good point
    nowadays PCS has none business with the programs themselves

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LuCN View Post
    Weir is a COP friendly skater,all his medals are under COP.COP make him can get medal, if under 6.0 he didn't have quads in the international competitions,then he may not able to get those marks.and he got many gold and other color medals on GPs too.

and his PCS isn't bad at all,though I think he should got better PCS than Plushenko and Evan.
    Firstly, as I have compiled, Weir didn't have that many medals.

And here is what ISU thought of his Transitions circa 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoPfH...ure=plpp_video

I may not like Evan's skating, but his programs were filled with COP points.

Plushenko was used as an example of lack of transition as well but it was removed before the last Olympics. Weir is not Plushenko.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 06-22-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Go Keegan Messing, US Nationals Champion 2013! (hey I can dream)

Toni, Keegan is my hubby's boy among the current US young boys, too!
    He LOVES Team Keegan in the Kiss & Cry.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Does it even really matter how CoP-compliant a skater's programs are? Personally, I can think of some skaters who have very obviously CoP-uncompliant programs and they nonetheless score huge PCS and have won Olympic and world medals under CoP....even gold ones.
    The latest 5 Worlds gold medals went to Chan, Takahashi, Lysacek, and Buttle, all COP champions.

There are five components to PCS. Transitions of the lack of them are more obvious but weakness in one component may be made up in others such as Skating Skills. These days the podium contenders are very COP savvy. Even Plushenko with his legend bonus is looking to adapt and adopt more COP friendly programs. He lost the OGM to Lysacek because of insufficient attention to COP.

Custom Title
    I am not sure Evan would be considered a real "COP" champion. Many would say it is an insult to compare him to Tak, Buttle, Lambiel or Chan who are much more well rounded skaters. I would say he is a great competitior - I was going to say like katarna Witt but she had a personality and diva status; he's kind of more like pablum. His trnasitions and artistry was not of the quality of these other men. How Johnny will fair is in question. So far the quads are just talk.

Quote Originally Posted by LuCN View Post
    I'm NOT agree with you.Weir is a COP friendly skater,all his medals are under COP.COP make him can get medal, if under 6.0 he didn't have quads in the international competitions,then he may not able to get those marks.and he got many gold and other color medals on GPs too.
    Weir was the junior World Champion and won his first two US titles under 6.0.

But by the time he began skating internationally as a senior, 6.0 was already on the way out, so of course most of his results are under the IJS -that's the system he competed under! However, I think Weir had more enjoyable programs earlier in his career and his strengths are more suited to the previous system (and maybe to early days IJS, which is different from the current version). He's one of a number of skaters who were unlucky in that way.

I like Weir's skating, I wish him luck, but I would be surprised if his plans to include quads in his programs pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I am not sure Evan would be considered a real "COP" champion. Many would say it is an insult to compare him to Tak, Buttle, Lambiel or Chan who are much more well rounded skaters. I would say he is a great competitior - I was going to say like katarna Witt but she had a personality and diva status; he's kind of more like pablum. His trnasitions and artistry was not of the quality of these other men. How Johnny will fair is in question. So far the quads are just talk.
    I think Evan, is much like Boitano in his competitive days - personality wise... Brian tried loosening up, especially once he started going head to head with Kurt a lot, and he just turned out looking more and more nerdy... Evan, to me, gives off that same vibe (in no way am I comparing their blade to ice capabilities, Brian wins that hands down, but persona/personality is a whole different ball game)

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post

Toni, Keegan is my hubby's boy among the current US young boys, too!
    He LOVES Team Keegan in the Kiss & Cry.
    I've been in Keegan's corner since 2004/05

Custom Title
    I didn't know Boitano was considered nerdy. But nerdy beats pablum any day.

I was going to say like katarna Witt but she had a personality and diva status;
    Not to mention beauty.

Maybe Johnny will actually try quads this time now that a "<" is worth more than a 2A. It's a consideration to keep in mind that if it wasn't squeaky before the rule changes (2 footed usually netted the equivalent of today's "<<" ) it wasn't worth doing.

Custom Title
    1. Oda has the 4CC title from 2006 as well.

2. Is he working hard to get his competitive mettle back up? At this point, we have his own words and some practice videos. Lysacek also gave us his own words and some practice videos last season. And Jonny's actions in the past suggest he likes to talk big, it's not specious to question those words.

3. I'm not eager to have Lysacek back, but Plushenko.... most assuredly. Not because I'm a fan of his skating or even his personality. But because the man is a legend and a giant. Because being the captain of the Russian team and winning the first team figure skating event at the Olympics is something I think would be marvelous.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast