Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Weir to do quads in both programs; hires Morozov for step seq

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    While Evan is not my choice for looks, the last thing I would ever describe Elvis Stojko as is phony...what you saw was what you got. I don't think he ever tried to be anything or anyone but himself.
    Yeah, if Elvis were capable of being phony, he'd have adopted an entirely different skating style. He wouldn't have swum against the tide of judges' preference with such quirky determination. He wasn't my favorite skater, but I always admired and often enjoyed his skating, and the individuality of his presence.

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    For some reason Evan always remind me of old spice ads - which is weird because he doesn't have the muscle bulk to do the ads.
    Maybe it is his gelled hair, stubble and never fading tan that kind of remind me of sailors...always thought he need a good scrub or spend sometime in the shade.
    His tan was all artificial spray on, hence the comments others have said about him looking orange...

Custom Title
    Although Evan is not my type at all (too dark), I still see him as handsome and attractive. And I have always liked his speaking style, which is very clear and not too busy. I have also gotten the impression that he has been taught well at home, defenitely he does not give the impression of being a spoiled brat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Two photogenic Olympians

Evan and his girl friend

http://a3.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/i...6c0b3e0e/l.jpg
    Thanks so much for the photolinks, Mathman! I really like the photo of Evan and Michelle, they both look good and very much at ease.
    Last edited by Jaana; 06-23-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Custom Title
    Michelle looks so glamorous. And I think Evan looks very debonair.

Thanks for the link, Math!

Custom Title
    I think Elvis is one of the most genuine people/skaters I have seen. I love Michelle but sometimes I find even her answers are too Miss America - we don't get what she is really thinking ie. i really want OGM and it sucks I didn't win. As for Evan, he has kind of an exotic look but I can't figure out his nationality - is that color natural -sometimes he appears rather orange. And like Boitano Evansskating isn't organic like Kurt, Brian Orser, Stephane or Buttle or Chan or Tak. he does seem kind of aloof; we don't really know who he really is forget the rumours about him. His personality is not memorable whereas Scott Hamiltyon, Plushenko, Witt they make an impression.

I think Evan should be thrilled he got OGM; he is one skater who shouldn't push it. I will get ridiculed and probably tarred and feathered but I think he was kind of lucky to get OGM - right time, right place, right disaster for everyone else. Yes he won but barely and it was controversial. I am not sure I would have had him over Plushenko - i agreed he skated better than the rest who missed big tricks. He doesn't have the wow factor the je ne sais quoi factor.

Custom Title
    Ahhh Skater Boy......flove your last paragraph. "Right time, right place, right disaster for everyone else" exactly! As for Evan, the same could be said of Tara Lipinski and Sarah Hughes, Oksana Baiul and a few others. The Olys bring out something in some skaters. I think it's called Survival! However, if Plushenko HAD won I think it would have really ruffled some ISU feathers given that he shot the spirit of the point system all to ****. Kind of makes you wonder if we'll have someone else rise from the ranks in 2014. Right now I honestly think Patrick Chan is the anointed one unless something happens between now and then. BUT......one of the Japanese men or cough!cough! an American or.....could just have that skate of their life on that given day while the rest of the field falters.

Custom Title
    It seems that there are often flukes in the singles in Olympics. For some reason the pairs and ice dance seems to be more predictable most of the time. Remember 1994, when Urmanov ended up the winner, and even he couldn't explain it? These days, it seems as if long program night is one of those times when Things Happen. That's why I was so amazed when YuNa won. She didn't let the tension break her even a millimeter.

I think that Evan was terrifically lucky, but he also worked his hardest at all times, not just that night. No, his skating isn't magical, but it was just good enough that night. This doesn't take away from the glory of Plushenko's career (and he does have his own OGM, after all), but that night Evan was the one.

Custom Title
    Lysacek's nose really looks Greek. He is as handsome as Roman statue, and perhaps has that kind of emotionlessness. Anyway, when was the last time Lysacek stole Weir's thread?! Go, Evan!!!
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 06-24-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    As for Evan, he has kind of an exotic look but I can't figure out his nationality.
    Evan's father's family immigrated from Czechoslovakia. His mother's family has Italian and Greek ancestry.

Custom Title
    As for Evan.

Evan's skating was not cup of my tea, either, for a long time. UNTIL I saw him skate LIVE.
    So if you have seen him skate live and still criticize him, I don't complain. But if otherwise, please don't. He looks much MUCH better live than on TV.

P.S. I have a beef about his music choices, though.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    As for Evan.

Evan's skating was not cup of my tea, either, for a long time. UNTIL I saw him skate LIVE.
    So if you have seen him skate live and still criticize him, I don't complain. But if otherwise, please don't. He looks much MUCH better live than on TV.

I agree, he's much better LIVE...

Almost anyone who is a decent skater looks better live. TV or Youtube do not capture the speed and excitement of seeing a skating show live, especially when you are mere feet away from your favorite skater.

There are some skaters that do translate better on TV...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    As for Evan.

That's good to know, deedee. Of course all skating looks more exciting live, but some skaters seem to benefit especially greatly from being seen right there on the spot. I'm glad Evan is one of them. Another example is Rachael Flatt. Several people have said that she can be really thrilling when viewed live.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Another example is Rachael Flatt. Several people have said that she can be really thrilling when viewed live.

to Rachael and Caroline Zhang!, recalling my memories from World Team Trophy 2009.
    While I have to say Caroline in competitive programs skated smaller and slower, both of them were just gorgeous in the Gala!
    Expecially Rachael who skated to the number which she did its choreo herself. My hubby was very impressed with these two (and complained a bit why Caroline did not skate like that in her competitive programs).

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast