Thread: Revisiting Shen and Zhao

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Revisiting Shen and Zhao

Mount Olympus 97/98 Season
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gibSu4iyWtg

How many here remember this performance?

After watching both of them skate this I had a hard time watching all of the other couples at 98 worlds. I know they have had many great programs and performances since then but the excitement, interesting music choice and the way the elements blended right in made for much excitement.

I can't remember anything that stands out more than when I saw them perform their LP at 2003 Worlds. I think that takes the cake in most cases for me when I think of pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    I can't remember anything that stands out more than when I saw them perform their LP at 2003 Worlds. I think that takes the cake in most cases for me when I think of pairs.
    You were sure lucky to be at that one! I can't think of a pairs performance that has moved me more; I'm getting teary just thinking about it!

Custom Title
    Well, it is hard to compare anything to that 2003 LP performance at worlds. To this day I can get so choked up watching it and cannot imagine what it was like to see that live. But, to answer the question - yes, yes, yes, I remember this 1998 program. I don't know why, but I didn't see any of the GPs that season, but did hear about "a chinese pair" who won one of the events. So, when the Olympics came around, I couldn't wait to see them. I don't think I saw their short program (if it was aired in US, I missed it somehow or really just have no memory of it), but I did see this LP and was like: wow, wow, wow, wow...brilliant. Not podium brilliant but you I could just feel their power, stamina, energy and was wowed by their big throws, but could also see some nice movements and flow too, and I did quite like those costumes (although I remember them as green, but the Youtbue video looked more like grey...). Anyway, after that, I couldn't wait to see worlds and then on from their through 2010!! and what most impressed me about them is just how much they kept working on improving - and they did this while adjusting to the new judging system too. They just amaze me in talent and that discipline/dedication/worth ethic.

I'll have to watch SPs to pick some favorites; but in terms of LPs, I just love 2003 Turandot, love their Nutcracker a lot, like really a lot, and just swooned all over their Meditation (too bad they never quite got that perfect, but I think their CoC was the most intricate if a little behind at the end).

This is the program that got me started in appreciating this team. Thank you for posting this - great memories!