Plushenko to Skate Romeo and Juliet Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Plushenko to Skate Romeo and Juliet Program

emma

Record Breaker
Skatefiguring - thanks again so much for posting that photo; sorry I didn't acknowledge you directly the first time around. And yes, they look fabulous. I find Plushy's choreographer choice so so interesting; it's like he is saying: I gotta learn from Dai (or something like that). Anyway, regardless of what motivated the choices, that photo is fabulous - they all look great and happy.

Mathman - thanks for reminding us of Sasha's very innovative ending to her program when she flubbed a bit - that was brilliant and I had totally forgotten about it! Fun to see again.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Haha nice try - dragged? How about more like head dived?! You are the one who started to call Plushenko's Romeo the 'pedophile' version before the actual performance, and also called Hanyu's 'Teenage Ninja' Romeo. Obviously it is now game for all the defenders. ;)

My descriptive nicknames referred to the roles, not the skaters. I didn't know for that Plushenko needs "all the defenders". We all know which skater and his fans are always game.

One can hardly make judgement on past centuries social morality anyway, it is a complete landmine. For example you think it is wrong for 30 years old marrying 14 years old in secret against parents wishes. Yet parents do frequently marrying off their unsuspecting 14 year off to some 30/40 years old guy against their young daughter's wishes to rich prominent family. Does that mean no one should skate to 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon' or 'Butterfly Lovers' with a smile? ;p

Well, I am going with the morality of the time and commented on parents marrying off daughters to old men as acceptable but not a 30 year old man marrying a 14 year old girl in secret against her parents' wishes. So what is the accusation against me again?

I personally still think Plushy's Romeo can't be that far off from Patrick's Phantom in the convincing department, and that is given we already seen Patrick's performances for the 2 seasons. These two are 半斤八兩 in the artistry dept. (Translation: 'Halfa pound 8 ounces'. Chinese proverb for more or less the same )

I haven't commented on Plushenko's artistry in performing this role, if he does. I was expressing my personal opinion on the inappropriateness of his portraying this role, if he does. So Patrick has to be dragged into this? Oh yes, how can I forget he is always game.

Actually thanks for all the Romeo clips sent but I am curious given there had been so many Romeos in skating programs, how many Juliet has there ever been? Were there as many solo as men's Romeo?

Gee, no disgust on the stale overused warhorse?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
My descriptive nicknames referred to the roles, not the skaters.

I never accuse you otherwise.. so what is the problem.

Well, I am going with the morality of the time and commented on parents marrying off daughters to old men as acceptable but not a 30 year old man marrying a 14 year old girl in secret against her parents' wishes. So what is the accusation against me again?

No accusation, just pointing out the illogical sense of morale judgement in your posts against another skater taking on a classic role that many would have done at different stages in their career. Something I think Patrick may one day do too.

I haven't commented on Plushenko's artistry in performing this role, if he does. I was expressing my personal opinion on the inappropriateness of his portraying this role, if he does. So Patrick has to be dragged into this? Oh yes, how can I forget he is always game.

Patrick was dragged into this for comparison analysis. You always want to appear like you are fair minded and objective, but there's plenty of hypocrisy and double standards in your posts every time there is another Patrick competitors around. Patrick is good enough of a skater on his own without you putting them down all the time unfairly. If Plushy turn out to be a rubbish Romeo with no charisma incapable of gel with the audience or meet the competitive requirements, then by all means go for it. Artistry is the essence of their ability to convincingly portray and interpret their program; so their suitability depends on their artistic ability, more than age or skating skills.

Gee, no disgust on the stale overused warhorse?

The only things disgust me in skating is politics, stupid judging, overmarking/reputation and unfair dismissals. Your post against Patrick's competitors touched at least 2 out of the 4 :p And for the record, I have no problem with warhorse music. It is not about what you do, but how you do it. Love story music are also over used, should that die too?

I respect you SF, but sorry mate, I just have to point these things out since you are attacking my fav program this season and probably another one I am most looking forward to next season beside's Johnny's and Daisuke's.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think the casting in a skating program has to be as stringent as it would be for a more direct adaptation of the source material. It can be, and usually is, more symbolic and impressionistic. Unless a character is specifically a competitive figure skater, skaters are not going to be able to tell a story literally. The audience fully knows a skater is a skater and is reminded of it every second of the skate. The most skaters can do, when portraying a fictional character, is to convey the general feeling of that character and her/his journey. And that's plenty good enough. For instance, the diminutive Keegan Messing is certainly never going to be cast as The Hulk in a movie, but he sure made a great one on ice!

That said, though, it certainly doesn't hurt if a skater has some visible attributes that line up with the character s/he is going for. Romeo's youth is an intrinsic part of his character and story. It's part of his passion, impulsiveness, immaturity, idiocy and powerlessness. Yuzuru's youth and some aspects of his performance temperament lines up pretty neatly with the character of Romeo, which made his Romeo + Juliet program a great fit. Plushenko obviously doesn't have the youth, but that's not an impassable hurdle. It's his skating style that makes this a questionable fit for me. Plushenko skates with an enormous amount of command. His skating exudes far more power and experience than the character of Romeo has. I get the sense that if Plushenko was in Romeo's place, he'd have gotten the feuding families to sit down, shut up, attend the wedding and buy every last ridiculous gift on the registry. I think a program where Plushenko plays a conquering hero would make more sense for him.

^This. :clap::clap::clap:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I didn't think it will cause such react the music choise but I saw the program today and the choreographer is doing a great job,evgeni listens to a every detail,btw he doesn't portray Romeo but I laughed with Juliet image too , as a long time fan I saw things I wish he could do and never did in a program and I wish he keeps them by competition time!

Tom Dickson also works here with an American skater I don know

Liza has un unusual for her sp but I m not sure I can tell the music yet.

I didn't think it will cause such react the music choise but I saw the program today and the choreographer is doing a great job,evgeni listens to a every detail,btw he doesn't portray Romeo but I laughed with Juliet image too , as a long time fan I saw things I wish he could do and never did in a program and I wish he keeps them by competition time!

Thanks for the report, Seniorita! Interesting that he isn't portraying Romeo. I'm glad he's doing some new moves.

DianaSelene

Medalist

I'm just wondering you can't tell the music because you don't know the name or you don't want to reveal it yet?

seniorita

Record Breaker
^i m not sure I m allowed, it is first time I come here..
But There was a gala tonight and liza skated both her programs so maybe there will be a video

About Romeo, to  make clear i think he doesnt intend to portray romeo, since they discuss every move and we could hear it, i think he plays with the drama of the story, and really I don't get the fuss, I mean at this point of his career realistically I dont think he looks for a life changing program or diversity, he chose a well known dramatic piece and have Miyamoto add him transitions and upgrade his steps, I just thought they seem to work great together and the choreographer plays with what plush does best;)

I don't know mathman, would you dare make mishin furious? I don't..:p

DianaSelene

Medalist
But There was a gala tonight and liza skated both her programs so maybe there will be a video

About Romeo, to  make clear i think he doesnt intend to portray romeo, since they discuss every move and we could hear it, i think he plays with the drama of the story, and really I don't get the fuss, I mean at this point of his career realistically I dont think he looks for a life changing program or diversity, he chose a well known dramatic piece and have Miyamoto add him transitions and upgrade his steps, I just thought they seem to work great together and the choreographer plays with what plush does best;)

Thank you for the info! It must have been awesome getting to see Plushenko working on his program.

Macassar88

Medalist

Thanks a bunch for the updates! Can we get some more Elizaveta updates? Just like your opinions on her programs and where she's made improvements would be amazing. Thanks!

deedee1

Record Breaker
have Miyamoto add him transitions and upgrade his steps, I just thought they seem to work great together and the choreographer plays with what plush does best;)

Wow. Transitions and upgraded step sequences from Evgeni!

With these news, I can survive all chaos full of surprises and disappointments (for me, sort of...) in this crazy off-season and look forward to the start of the new season HAPPILY! :cool:

P.S. I trust Seniorita's report 1,000% more than sweet PR talks by skaters themselves and their coaches. :biggrin:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

seniorita, thank you so much for the report! Are they training in Italy now?

bestskate8

On the Ice
The role of Romeo belongs to the likes of Rippon and Hanyu, not the old master. I don't want to see Rippon and Hanyu reprising the role ten years from now either.

I've been scarred watching aged rock stars singing their teenage hits.

:rolleye:

May be Plushenko feels like "teenage" :p

If anyone can pull this one on ice, as masterpiece, that's Plushenko for sure.

And finally, Evgeni has decent choice of music! but not sure if this choreographer will do any good for him, we will see.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I get the sense that if Plushenko was in Romeo's place, he'd have gotten the feuding families to sit down, shut up, attend the wedding and buy every last ridiculous gift on the registry

I ll forever laugh with this:d

They finished the program today, yeah i was wrong , he is impersonating Romeo reloaded and Juliette, both :)

I love Miyamoto he has great sense of humor and brilliant ideas, and he is a goofy match with plush.

Will write later about liza and Arthur.

I ll forever laugh with this:d

They finished the program today, yeah i was wrong , he is impersonating Romeo reloaded and Juliette, both :)

I love Miyamoto he has great sense of humor and brilliant ideas, and he is a goofy match with plush.

Will write later about liza and Arthur.

That kind of reminds me of Urmanov's Swan Lake that he did as a pro. He dressed half as the black swan and half as the white swan and portrayed two people in some way: the prince and Hrothbart? Can't remember offhand. Some very complicated narrative variant of the original plot of the ballet. I think it's a Russian tendency to load down a program with story and philosophy sometimes. No one can accuse them of skating by numbers! I can't wait to see it; Plushenko in full sail, like no one else. This guy was born for the stage, wasn't he?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Some very complicated narrative variant of the original plot of the ballet. I think it's a Russian tendency to load down a program with story and philosophy sometimes. No one can accuse them of skating by numbers! I can't wait to see it; Plushenko in full sail, like no one else. This guy was born for the stage, wasn't he?

That is a very Russian thing to do. It's like a Russian novel or poem, jam-packed with meaning. I can't say that I get it all in one sitting! Perhaps I like programs with simpler narratives, but that's just me. I do wish Plushenko and the others who are coming back this year the best of luck!

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m faaaar from expert opinions ab programs, but yes it is awesome to see how they build a program from scratch. And Miyamoto is sooo cool, he explains every single move, I love him.the sequences he made are wonderful.

I m very impressed with Dickson as well, he looks the sweetest person ( with great hair:)) he makes a program with Arthur and he insists on many details, Arthur just skates bits of it for now, i found the program very packed at some point. 

I watched also a masterclass he gave yesterday and thought he was a genius, he made the skaters have same steps with two completely different kinds of music.

He is also  working with Liza, is it reported that Wilson did her programs? I think her lp looks like Wilson and is totally in her comfort zone, but it looks like Dickson does her sp and I already love  it, I think it will be a brand new image of her! It suits her age too.he also does her exhibition.

Liza has grown up since last time i saw her, she has more curves and looks little bigger, yesterday she was practicing spins but in the programs she hit her jumps. I think she took notice of the ice covering critics and she skates bigger.

Btw the  little girls of the camp look upon her and follow her everywhere like bees, lol

Mishin is really a cheerful person, he uses games to teach, today with Dickson they were showing  how not to skate with fists firm and used all kind of tricks.
I ll go one more day to the arena because the area here has the best scenery to tour and I don't wanna miss it.