Plushenko to Skate Romeo and Juliet Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko to Skate Romeo and Juliet Program

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Sorry. Here's Petrenko in an appropriately angst-filled rendition. Great ending. :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MnSGPdgrms

Evidently he killed himself because of all the flubbed jumps.

OMG. This is the worst performance I've ever seen from Victor. All the bad acting and intensity had me really annoyed until the ending that made me :rofl: as well.

He deserved to kill himself for taking on the role seriously. Let others take this lesson to heart.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I am now picturing Plushenko as Juliet, playing dead to take a good rest and then waking up to do a quad/quad combo for that end of program bonus. :yes: I heard that he's been taking COP advice.

Last edited:

Macassar88

Medalist
I am now picturing Plushenko as Juliet, playing dead to take a good rest and then waking up to do a quad/quad combo for that end of program bonus. :yes: I heard that he's been taking COP advice.

Can't wait to see some real transitions then!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Here's Kurt as a happy-go-lucky 32-year-old Romeo (Prokofiev) at the 1998 World Pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlDjWmSMtSw

He folled around and finished last for this effort. Which was a shame, because he swept the competition in the LP with his clown program. He would have beat Yagudin at his prime if he hadn't been so careless in the short.

Thank you! I get mixed up all the time for some reason I always think his "Sons of Italy" program is to R&J, probably because of his costume... my point still stands, and I don't understand why one immediately thinks of one of the WORST things a person could be/do as being what the theme of a program will be about. :no:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Also in almost all of art and entertainment, Romeo was always portrayed by an older performer. That's just how it works. Romeo is only played by a 15 year old in high school productions. I'd much rather see old English actor Kenneth Branagh portray Romeo than, say, Canadian teen sensation Justin Bieber.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I don't think the casting in a skating program has to be as stringent as it would be for a more direct adaptation of the source material. It can be, and usually is, more symbolic and impressionistic. Unless a character is specifically a competitive figure skater, skaters are not going to be able to tell a story literally. The audience fully knows a skater is a skater and is reminded of it every second of the skate. The most skaters can do, when portraying a fictional character, is to convey the general feeling of that character and her/his journey. And that's plenty good enough. For instance, the diminutive Keegan Messing is certainly never going to be cast as The Hulk in a movie, but he sure made a great one on ice!

That said, though, it certainly doesn't hurt if a skater has some visible attributes that line up with the character s/he is going for. Romeo's youth is an intrinsic part of his character and story. It's part of his passion, impulsiveness, immaturity, idiocy and powerlessness. Yuzuru's youth and some aspects of his performance temperament lines up pretty neatly with the character of Romeo, which made his Romeo + Juliet program a great fit. Plushenko obviously doesn't have the youth, but that's not an impassable hurdle. It's his skating style that makes this a questionable fit for me. Plushenko skates with an enormous amount of command. His skating exudes far more power and experience than the character of Romeo has. I get the sense that if Plushenko was in Romeo's place, he'd have gotten the feuding families to sit down, shut up, attend the wedding and buy every last ridiculous gift on the registry. I think a program where Plushenko plays a conquering hero would make more sense for him.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Last edited:
Also in almost all of art and entertainment, Romeo was always portrayed by an older performer. That's just how it works. Romeo is only played by a 15 year old in high school productions. I'd much rather see old English actor Kenneth Branagh portray Romeo than, say, Canadian teen sensation Justin Bieber.

Well, that spells it out pretty vividly!

"Uh, like, she doth teach the candles to, you know, burn bright."

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
OT: Her 2002 Sears Open was the best Romeo And Juliet program from Sasha Cohen with Tatiana Torasova's choreography:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PDaPEgo-Eg

The one in 2005 (Cohen's own choreography, I believe) didn't have any charm to me.

I didn't like the Tarasova years for Cohen (year?), I preferred the 2005/06 (year I became a fan, because of that program! it's fantastic live!) program. I thought David Wilson had a hand in that program?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I didn't like the Tarasova years for Cohen (year?), I preferred the 2005/06 (year I became a fan, because of that program! it's fantastic live!) program. I thought David Wilson had a hand in that program?

You are right! It was David Wilson's choreography. Anyway, I didn't like it. Cohen's programs after she left Tarasova were all somewhat lost the magic to me.:p

Sorry for the OT.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
os, I certainly don't want to see Patrick play Romeo in his late 20s or older, not straight as a romantic young lad in a solo anyways.
Anyway, I'd like to see how Plushenko actually handles this role if he indeed plays Romeo before further comments. So far, Ive been dragged into reacting to posts rather than the actual performance.

Haha nice try - dragged? How about more like head dived?! You are the one who started to call Plushenko's Romeo the 'pedophile' version before the actual performance, and also called Hanyu's 'Teenage Ninja' Romeo. Obviously it is now game for all the defenders. ;)

One can hardly make judgement on past centuries social morality anyway, it is a complete landmine. For example you think it is wrong for 30 years old marrying 14 years old in secret against parents wishes. Yet parents do frequently marrying off their unsuspecting 14 year off to some 30/40 years old guy against their young daughter's wishes to rich prominent family. Does that mean no one should skate to 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon' or 'Butterfly Lovers' with a smile? ;p

I personally still think Plushy's Romeo can't be that far off from Patrick's Phantom in the convincing department, and that is given we already seen Patrick's performances for the 2 seasons. These two are 半斤八兩 in the artistry dept. (Translation: 'Halfa pound 8 ounces'. Chinese proverb for more or less the same )

Actually thanks for all the Romeo clips sent but I am curious given there had been so many Romeos in skating programs, how many Juliet has there ever been? Were there as many solo as men's Romeo?

But you know... I am in the mind of there's an age appropriate Romeo for everyone. Yours happen to be Branagh, for some is Kurt, and there are plenty of willing Juliets for Beiber too :)

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Actually thanks for all the Romeo clips sent but I am curious given there had been so many Romeos in skating programs, how many Juliet has there ever been? Were there as many solo as men's Romeo?

My favorites are by Elena Sokolova. :)

- Juliet version @ 2005 Euro: Gorgeous opening 3Lz+3T! :love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_XTEE5w2w&feature=related

-Romeo version @ 2006 Euro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaZinWM_VeI

Another favorite of mine by Polina Agafonova @ 2010 Jr Worlds : Age appropriate, huh? ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbvonvGBDMU

I personally still think Plushy's Romeo can't be that far off from Patrick's Phantom in the convincing department, and that is given we already seen Patrick's performances for the 2 seasons. These two are 半斤八兩 in the artistry dept. (Translation: 'Halfa pound 8 ounces'. Chinese proverb for more or less the same )

But you know... I am in the mind of there's an age appropriate Romeo for everyone. Yours happen to be Branagh, for some is Kurt, and there are plenty of willing Juliets for Beiber too :)

Oh, I'm fairly sure that there are millions of willing Juliets for Justin Bieber.:) Definitely Kurt for me! (I know; stand in line.)

I love the way idioms from different languages are often parallel. In English we have a similar expression: six of one, half a dozen of the other.