Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Plushenko to Skate Romeo and Juliet Program

Custom Title
    Skatefiguring - thanks again so much for posting that photo; sorry I didn't acknowledge you directly the first time around. And yes, they look fabulous. I find Plushy's choreographer choice so so interesting; it's like he is saying: I gotta learn from Dai (or something like that). Anyway, regardless of what motivated the choices, that photo is fabulous - they all look great and happy.

Mathman - thanks for reminding us of Sasha's very innovative ending to her program when she flubbed a bit - that was brilliant and I had totally forgotten about it! Fun to see again.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Haha nice try - dragged? How about more like head dived?! You are the one who started to call Plushenko's Romeo the 'pedophile' version before the actual performance, and also called Hanyu's 'Teenage Ninja' Romeo. Obviously it is now game for all the defenders.
    My descriptive nicknames referred to the roles, not the skaters. I didn't know for that Plushenko needs "all the defenders". We all know which skater and his fans are always game.

One can hardly make judgement on past centuries social morality anyway, it is a complete landmine. For example you think it is wrong for 30 years old marrying 14 years old in secret against parents wishes. Yet parents do frequently marrying off their unsuspecting 14 year off to some 30/40 years old guy against their young daughter's wishes to rich prominent family. Does that mean no one should skate to 'Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon' or 'Butterfly Lovers' with a smile? ;p
    Well, I am going with the morality of the time and commented on parents marrying off daughters to old men as acceptable but not a 30 year old man marrying a 14 year old girl in secret against her parents' wishes. So what is the accusation against me again?

I personally still think Plushy's Romeo can't be that far off from Patrick's Phantom in the convincing department, and that is given we already seen Patrick's performances for the 2 seasons. These two are 半斤八兩 in the artistry dept. (Translation: 'Halfa pound 8 ounces'. Chinese proverb for more or less the same )
    I haven't commented on Plushenko's artistry in performing this role, if he does. I was expressing my personal opinion on the inappropriateness of his portraying this role, if he does. So Patrick has to be dragged into this? Oh yes, how can I forget he is always game.

Actually thanks for all the Romeo clips sent but I am curious given there had been so many Romeos in skating programs, how many Juliet has there ever been? Were there as many solo as men's Romeo?
    Gee, no disgust on the stale overused warhorse?

Never mind.
    Last edited by Mathman; 06-24-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    My descriptive nicknames referred to the roles, not the skaters.
    I never accuse you otherwise.. so what is the problem.

Well, I am going with the morality of the time and commented on parents marrying off daughters to old men as acceptable but not a 30 year old man marrying a 14 year old girl in secret against her parents' wishes. So what is the accusation against me again?
    No accusation, just pointing out the illogical sense of morale judgement in your posts against another skater taking on a classic role that many would have done at different stages in their career. Something I think Patrick may one day do too.

I haven't commented on Plushenko's artistry in performing this role, if he does. I was expressing my personal opinion on the inappropriateness of his portraying this role, if he does. So Patrick has to be dragged into this? Oh yes, how can I forget he is always game.
    Patrick was dragged into this for comparison analysis. You always want to appear like you are fair minded and objective, but there's plenty of hypocrisy and double standards in your posts every time there is another Patrick competitors around. Patrick is good enough of a skater on his own without you putting them down all the time unfairly. If Plushy turn out to be a rubbish Romeo with no charisma incapable of gel with the audience or meet the competitive requirements, then by all means go for it. Artistry is the essence of their ability to convincingly portray and interpret their program; so their suitability depends on their artistic ability, more than age or skating skills.

Gee, no disgust on the stale overused warhorse?
    The only things disgust me in skating is politics, stupid judging, overmarking/reputation and unfair dismissals. Your post against Patrick's competitors touched at least 2 out of the 4 :P And for the record, I have no problem with warhorse music. It is not about what you do, but how you do it. Love story music are also over used, should that die too?

I respect you SF, but sorry mate, I just have to point these things out since you are attacking my fav program this season and probably another one I am most looking forward to next season beside's Johnny's and Daisuke's.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    I don't think the casting in a skating program has to be as stringent as it would be for a more direct adaptation of the source material. It can be, and usually is, more symbolic and impressionistic. Unless a character is specifically a competitive figure skater, skaters are not going to be able to tell a story literally. The audience fully knows a skater is a skater and is reminded of it every second of the skate. The most skaters can do, when portraying a fictional character, is to convey the general feeling of that character and her/his journey. And that's plenty good enough. For instance, the diminutive Keegan Messing is certainly never going to be cast as The Hulk in a movie, but he sure made a great one on ice!

That said, though, it certainly doesn't hurt if a skater has some visible attributes that line up with the character s/he is going for. Romeo's youth is an intrinsic part of his character and story. It's part of his passion, impulsiveness, immaturity, idiocy and powerlessness. Yuzuru's youth and some aspects of his performance temperament lines up pretty neatly with the character of Romeo, which made his Romeo + Juliet program a great fit. Plushenko obviously doesn't have the youth, but that's not an impassable hurdle. It's his skating style that makes this a questionable fit for me. Plushenko skates with an enormous amount of command. His skating exudes far more power and experience than the character of Romeo has. I get the sense that if Plushenko was in Romeo's place, he'd have gotten the feuding families to sit down, shut up, attend the wedding and buy every last ridiculous gift on the registry. I think a program where Plushenko plays a conquering hero would make more sense for him.
    ^This.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I didn't think it will cause such react the music choise but I saw the program today and the choreographer is doing a great job,evgeni listens to a every detail,btw he doesn't portray Romeo but I laughed with Juliet image too , as a long time fan I saw things I wish he could do and never did in a program and I wish he keeps them by competition time!

Tom Dickson also works here with an American skater I don know

Liza has un unusual for her sp but I m not sure I can tell the music yet.

^ Can you sneak out a little home-made video?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I didn't think it will cause such react the music choise but I saw the program today and the choreographer is doing a great job,evgeni listens to a every detail,btw he doesn't portray Romeo but I laughed with Juliet image too , as a long time fan I saw things I wish he could do and never did in a program and I wish he keeps them by competition time!

Thanks for the report, Seniorita! Interesting that he isn't portraying Romeo. I'm glad he's doing some new moves.

I'm just wondering you can't tell the music because you don't know the name or you don't want to reveal it yet?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^i m not sure I m allowed, it is first time I come here..
    But There was a gala tonight and liza skated both her programs so maybe there will be a video

About Romeo, to  make clear i think he doesnt intend to portray romeo, since they discuss every move and we could hear it, i think he plays with the drama of the story, and really I don't get the fuss, I mean at this point of his career realistically I dont think he looks for a life changing program or diversity, he chose a well known dramatic piece and have Miyamoto add him transitions and upgrade his steps, I just thought they seem to work great together and the choreographer plays with what plush does best

I don't know mathman, would you dare make mishin furious? I don't..

But There was a gala tonight and liza skated both her programs so maybe there will be a video

About Romeo, to  make clear i think he doesnt intend to portray romeo, since they discuss every move and we could hear it, i think he plays with the drama of the story, and really I don't get the fuss, I mean at this point of his career realistically I dont think he looks for a life changing program or diversity, he chose a well known dramatic piece and have Miyamoto add him transitions and upgrade his steps, I just thought they seem to work great together and the choreographer plays with what plush does best

Thank you for the info! It must have been awesome getting to see Plushenko working on his program.

Thanks a bunch for the updates! Can we get some more Elizaveta updates? Just like your opinions on her programs and where she's made improvements would be amazing. Thanks!

Custom Title
    have Miyamoto add him transitions and upgrade his steps, I just thought they seem to work great together and the choreographer plays with what plush does best
    Wow. Transitions and upgraded step sequences from Evgeni!

With these news, I can survive all chaos full of surprises and disappointments (for me, sort of...) in this crazy off-season and look forward to the start of the new season HAPPILY!

P.S. I trust Seniorita's report 1,000% more than sweet PR talks by skaters themselves and their coaches.

I think that'd be the video I'd want to see... Mishin's face all mad trying to "eat" someone

Custom Title

seniorita, thank you so much for the report! Are they training in Italy now?

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast