Jump Sequence Question | Golden Skate

Jump Sequence Question

doug_log

On the Ice
So, below are the jump elements allowed/required for the men's and women's LP.

• 1 must be an Axel-type jump * Max 7 (women)/ Max 8 (men)
• Max 3 jump combinations (combos) or sequences
• Combos limited to 2 jumps, but one 3-jump combo is permitted
• Number of jumps in jump sequence is not limited
• 2 triples or quads may be repeated, but must be in combo or
sequence
• Max 2 double Axels as solo jump or in combo/sequence

My question is: why aren't skaters racking up points by doing a jump sequence with 5, 6, 7, 8, etc. 2Ts or 2Ls? The rule states, "Number of jump in jump sequence is not limited," so, if I am reading this correctly, a skate could do as many jumps in a sequence so long as the sequence is actually a sequence. For example: 3T, 2T, 2T, 2T, 2T, 2T, 2T, 2T, 2T, 2T, all connected by a falling leaf would be ok. So, besides aesthetic reasons, why is no one doing this? It seems that skates would be able to pull this off, no?

- Doug_log

gkelly

Record Breaker
For jump sequences, only the two highest-value jumps count for the base mark (factored by 80%). Additional jumps don't add to the base mark, but they can affect the GOE either positively or negatively.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
IIRC, Rule 353 limits the base value to the sum of the two highest value jumps which is multiplied by 0.8. Then, the GOE is determined based on the most difficult jump in the sequence. Additional jumps wouldn't increase the BV. Theoretically, they could check boxes for positive GOE.

jcoates

Medalist
Also, jump sequences with multiple connection jumps are difficult because speed is lost from jump to jump. That's why it's easier to do them with double jumps rather than triples. when single skaters did primarily doubles, these sequences were far more common and had more connecting jumps. Pairs teams also did them until the rules for number of sbs jumping passes were limited to lesser and lesser numbers. Since the advent of triples, the longest sequence most are likely to see is one using a half loop to connect an initial triple to a salchow or flip simply due to the force need to rotate the second triple. Another connecting jump that can be used but is rarely employed is the mizurka. Plushenko did a fantastic 3a- 1/2 lp- 3f in Salt Lake City in his FS. I've never seen it attempted again in competition. I've seen Lysacek do it in practice.

As far as normal combos, I'd love to see someone try a multi revolution one foot axel in combo with a salchow or flip. A 1ft 3a-3f would we awesome to see.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
The "half-loop" is now scored as a 1loop, and when used as the connecting jump, the entire jumping pass is scored as a three jump combination. Patrick Chan uses a 3lutz/.5loop/3sal to maximize his jumping passes. I believe Adam Rippon does it as well.

This isn't a jump sequence, but Shizuka Arakawa's 37 2toe combo chain shows what happens when a skater puts too many jumps in one pass. Eventually you run out of steam!

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
The "half-loop" is now scored as a 1loop, and when used as the connecting jump, the entire jumping pass is scored as a three jump combination. Patrick Chan uses a 3lutz/.5loop/3sal to maximize his jumping passes. I believe Adam Rippon does it as well.

Thank goodness! The half loop is a misnomer. It really is a single rotation jump.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Depends on the tech panel. Some panels are even stricter about 1/2 loops than other jumps so that even the slightest wobble on the landing gets < or <<