Broadmoor Open | Golden Skate

Broadmoor Open

macy

Record Breaker
Does anyone have results so far? The only thing i know is Hannah Miller is first after the senior short. YES!

macy

Record Breaker
siela posted that Sylvia has results on her site, but vbulletin ate her post:

http://unseenskaters.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/2012-broadmoor-open-june-20-23-results-highlights/

She may also be tweeting...I don't know, but she often does for these club competitions.

Thanks Doris. Barbie and Polina seem to have improved a lot, 100+ freeskate scores in qualifying--wow. Polina completed EIGHT triples even though one wasn't counted with two 3+3's, that's SO impressive! i have a feeling one of them will be junior ladies champ this year at nats. i'm hoping hannah can hang onto the lead in seniors, her short is brand new (they changed it just recently) so that's probably why she had mistakes. i've seen bits of her long and the music is very cool. i hope there will be youtube videos!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree.. Polina Edmunds is a diamond in the rough. It's obvious with those bambi legs though that she will grow quite a bit more but she's one to watch i think.

macy

Record Breaker
hannah wins seniors! 103.29, 153.95 overall, beating angela wang by about 14 points. sounds like a pretty clean skate.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
how old is she? 14 or 15 i think? i remember her short program at nationals was great. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irJqt-Y0IfA

Polina turned 14 in May. She's actually pretty tall already, and a little less coltish compared to how she looked in the past, but yes, obviously some growing left to do. BUT, she scored 170+ overall in the actual event! Landed 3lz-3t and 3f-3t in her FS again but this time did two 2a so all her jumps counted, landed 7 triples in total. FS score was over 114 so I'm assuming no URs but I haven't seen protocols so I don't know for sure. She reminds me of young Kostner, between the speed, bambi legs, and really difficult 3-3s! Barbie was 2nd with 91+ in the FS. Mariah rebounded in the FS to score 86+.

macy

Record Breaker
Polina turned 14 in May. She's actually pretty tall already, and a little less coltish compared to how she looked in the past, but yes, obviously some growing left to do. BUT, she scored 170+ overall in the actual event! Landed 3lz-3t and 3f-3t in her FS again but this time did two 2a so all her jumps counted, landed 7 triples in total. FS score was over 114 so I'm assuming no URs but I haven't seen protocols so I don't know for sure. She reminds me of young Kostner, between the speed, bambi legs, and really difficult 3-3s! Barbie was 2nd with 91+ in the FS. Mariah rebounded in the FS to score 86+.

that's amazing, 170+ for someone who finished FIFTH in juniors last year and is practically unheard of. i hope mariah doesn't grow much, maybe that's why she's been struggling. she was pretty consistent at novice, maybe she's grown. her presentation is great though.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
that's amazing, 170+ for someone who finished FIFTH in juniors last year and is practically unheard of. i hope mariah doesn't grow much, maybe that's why she's been struggling. she was pretty consistent at novice, maybe she's grown. her presentation is great though.

She was actually 6th, haha. And Mariah looked like she had grown at Nationals, where she appeared to be all legs. Someone on another forum mentioned that she looked to have grown more since Nationals too though, so maybe she has hit a growthspurt. Barbie Long has also grown a lot though, and her jumps seem as strong as ever, she hit several 3lz-3t combos at this event. Polina is quite tall for someone who just turned 14 so I'm hoping that means she won't have to deal with the growing pains once she goes senior, and actually, that might have contributed to why she was so inconsistent and struggled last season. She sure seems rock-solid and super impressive technically now!

macy

Record Breaker
She was actually 6th, haha. And Mariah looked like she had grown at Nationals, where she appeared to be all legs. Someone on another forum mentioned that she looked to have grown more since Nationals too though, so maybe she has hit a growthspurt. Barbie Long has also grown a lot though, and her jumps seem as strong as ever, she hit several 3lz-3t combos at this event. Polina is quite tall for someone who just turned 14 so I'm hoping that means she won't have to deal with the growing pains once she goes senior, and actually, that might have contributed to why she was so inconsistent and struggled last season. She sure seems rock-solid and super impressive technically now!

that's great that these girls are coming along and improving fast. if polina keeps it up we'll have our own wunderkind! :) looks like the new batch of girls are pretty promising. i am surprised that barbie stayed junior another year, although it's smart so she can improve her PCS which definitely needs work. i may have to take a little trip to the rink to watch hannah, i'd like to see both of her programs. i've only seen a small section of her long, but i did youtube the whole piece of music (the storm by balasz havasi) and i absolutely love it, it's so unique and different. that's what i love is when skaters stay away from the warhorse pieces. i hope to see mariah, barbie, hannah, and polina at skate detroit when i go to watch final rounds. pretty excited!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's just something about Barbie's skating that i don't like. Not sure what it is but i much prefer someone like Mariah who has great personality on the ice.

macy

Record Breaker
There's just something about Barbie's skating that i don't like. Not sure what it is but i much prefer someone like Mariah who has great personality on the ice.

agreed, i think she is very boring. her jumps are great but the other half isn't there. IMO mariah's jumps are very small, but you're right, her personality is great. they are opposites.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From what i've seen of Polina Edmunds she has both. Personality and the jumps. Her SP at last years Nationals was one of the highlights for me. To bad she had a rough LP but she's one to watch.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
From what i've seen of Polina Edmunds she has both. Personality and the jumps. Her SP at last years Nationals was one of the highlights for me. To bad she had a rough LP but she's one to watch.

Yeah Polina really has the whole package, or the potential to have the whole package. Her tech is quite amazing now, all the triples 3lz-3t and 3f-3t combos, and I think both her flip and lutz take off the right edges, and in the jumps competition she even did 3lz-3t-2lo! I love her spins too, she's very flexible (used to be a rhythmic gymnast) and hits great positions with her long legs, plus she spins super fast, and I love how she does her biellman on an edge! And of course she also has lots of personality and perk, with a little diva mixed in. Her PCS have always been pretty strong considering her young age, and she's improved a lot. David Glynn has done a really good job with her, but I do wonder, has he ever coached a high level skater before? I just wonder about his ability to take her to the next level and really untap her potential. But I guess all the coaching greats had to start out somewhere, so it might be a moot point. I had just never heard of him before. But, he seems to teach good technique!

macy

Record Breaker
sounds quite impressive, i really hope there will be youtube videos posted at some point. hopefully she can keep this momentum up throughout the next few years and survive puberty.

mskater93

Record Breaker
David Glynn has done a really good job with her, but I do wonder, has he ever coached a high level skater before? I just wonder about his ability to take her to the next level and really untap her potential.
This is a personal pet peeve of mine and not directed specifically at you, Silverlake, but why do people ask this question all the time of a coach they've never heard of? Who CARES whether someone has coached a high level skater before - Linda Leaver never had a high level skater before Brian B and he won the Olympics. If the relationship between skater and coach is what it needs to be and the coach gets the right people on the team to address weaknesses he/she cannot work through (choreo/levels/jumps/spins/sports psych/chief cook/bottle washer), then it shouldn't matter whether a coach has had high level skaters before. People were all over that question with regard to Alex O last year and Gracie Gold (he's had other successful high level skaters in the Intermediate-Junior ranks and a couple Seniors who skated for other countries but no one on this board had "heard" of him and were calling for Gracie to seek out other coaching opportunities in the same way people are calling for Jason Brown to seek out other coaching opportunities).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
This is a personal pet peeve of mine and not directed specifically at you, Silverlake, but why do people ask this question all the time of a coach they've never heard of? Who CARES whether someone has coached a high level skater before - Linda Leaver never had a high level skater before Brian B and he won the Olympics. If the relationship between skater and coach is what it needs to be and the coach gets the right people on the team to address weaknesses he/she cannot work through (choreo/levels/jumps/spins/sports psych/chief cook/bottle washer), then it shouldn't matter whether a coach has had high level skaters before. People were all over that question with regard to Alex O last year and Gracie Gold (he's had other successful high level skaters in the Intermediate-Junior ranks and a couple Seniors who skated for other countries but no one on this board had "heard" of him and were calling for Gracie to seek out other coaching opportunities in the same way people are calling for Jason Brown to seek out other coaching opportunities).

Fair point, and yes, I guess when you put it that way it doesn't really matter so long as he gets the job done at the end of the day. She already has all the triples, so at this point, there isn't too much to worry about. I wonder how tall Polina is though? She looks quite tall already and where she just turned 14 she'll probably grow another 2-3 inches before she stops, which should be fine unless she's already in the vicinity of 5'5" or 5'6", just because you don't really see any 5'8"+ ladies in the top echelon of international skating these days. Where she's so thin and long-legged I really have no idea of her current height, she looks tall, but so do a lot of wiry junior ladies who are barely 5ft... Anyways hope she keeps up the momentum and stays injury free training all these sick combos!