Was this tacky? | Golden Skate

Was this tacky?

Johar

Medalist
I insisted on helping friend and they said they would treat me to lunch. Well, it turned out to be drive-thru at Burger King. A friend of mine told me he thought that was rather tacky.

This is one of those moments when it truly is the thought that counts. Maybe the friend is hard up for cash, or maybe he/she thinks that drive through is the most fun of any kind of lunch? In any case, you did something good, which you probably did without thought of reward.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I love Burger King! LOL

I don't think it's tacky... my friend bought me lunch through the drive thru at Arby's just yesterday... I wasn't expecting her to pay forr my lunch and she did.

heyang

Record Breaker
Your friend said lunch, but not where and what form. A lot depends on the circumstances. If you don't see each other frequently and the person didn't have a lot of time, this might've been all that they had time for and they wanted to make sure they got you lunch and not 'owed' you until the next time.

IMHO, what would've been tacky was not to offer you lunch for your time. Or if you absolutely hate BK.

I once helped someone move who was definitely lacking consideration. 6 of us were helping him. 1 of the others bought the bagels for the 'early' shift. When I arrived around 1:30, there was no lunch - I went out and got the pizza. Nothing was packed in advance - so, we mostly stood around chatting while waiting for packing to get done. By the time we got to the destination, it was already 8:30pm. The person we were helping had to borrow my car to go get beverages and side deli salads from the supermarket to go with the overcooked BBQ chicken had had stewing in the oven all day. The guy's girlfriend reminded him to pay me for the pizzas.

I love Burger King! LOL

I don't think it's tacky... my friend bought me lunch through the drive thru at Arby's just yesterday... I wasn't expecting her to pay forr my lunch and she did.

A few months ago, we had a big project at work. We had to be in the office one whole weekend...the weekend of Mother's Day. Several people had to cancel visits home to see their moms. We all tried to keep one another going. My idea was to buy this super-fancy delicious hot chocolate that everyone likes. I couldn't really afford to get one for everyone, so I got two cups and poured shares out into paper cups for everyone who wanted. You can't imagine how popular I was. Sometimes it's not the size of the treat that counts.

Johar

Medalist
The only thing I can eat from fast food is salads w/no dressing and no chicken on it. All other food gives me bad cramps. I did get a mocha frappe, though! Yum!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I insisted on helping friend and they said they would treat me to lunch. Well, it turned out to be drive-thru at Burger King. A friend of mine told me he thought that was rather tacky.

Well, that was no treat. If you were a big help, and they knew your food preference, then it's tacky of them if they could afford something else that would please you more. It's probably just their lifestyle and version of eating out. But the main thing is you remained gracious and enjoyed the "meal" the best you could and thanked them.

Johar

Medalist
The salad was actually good, as it had real bleu cheese crumbles, dried cranberries and apples on it. They put chicken on it when I asked for no chicken., Couldn't chance an upset tummy from the chicken.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think it may be on the tacky-meter. I thought of a sit down! Not like drive through. Even a sitdown at Burger King seems more treating you to lunch.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
This may revoke my female card - then again I've already been told I am not a woman so... - but I think chocolate is overrated. lol

You're not alone, Toni. I have other woman friends who don't love chocolate...that just leaves more of it for meeeee.

If it makes you feel better, I am not at all interested in fancy shoes, a love of which is supposed to be the ultimate hallmark of feminity.I say phooey! Can't wear heels; wouldn't want to. As far as I'm concerned, you and I are pearls of womanhood.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ha ha, I wouldn't go that far... I hate heels, too...

my grandmother is convinced I will be forever single or marry another female because I don't fit the mold at all... oy lol

There are more molds than just the one. You fit just fine. I said pearls, and I'm not taking it back. So there.:)

I can't stand wearing heels, but I still collect dolls, and you should see my dolls' shoe collection! Maybe we get to make our own molds.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I scrapbook, which is girly... and I like figure skating... and Disney princesses rock... that's as girly as I get lol

I scrapbook, which is girly... and I like figure skating... and Disney princesses rock... that's as girly as I get lol

Scrapbooking....I don't do it, but I'm such a sucker for the papers and all the little doohickeys they sell at paper art stores. I use some of the charms and whatnot for decorating the doll clothes I sew.

You have a huge advantage as a scrapbooker, of course, because you take such great photos. (If I scrapbooked, I'd have to use drawings.) I'm in awe of people who can put a great scrapbook together. I had one friend who was wonderful at it. She had such an eye for design, and like you she was an excellent photographer, though not a professional.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
There's a downside to being a photographer, though. My vacation trips are several volumes long because I take too many and even after picking the very best/favorite I still have a gazillion!

There's a downside to being a photographer, though. My vacation trips are several volumes long because I take too many and even after picking the very best/favorite I still have a gazillion!

You don't have too many photo albums! You just have too little shelf space. Or you could rent them out to other people who want to feel well-traveled...A whole new career awaits! Proxy vacationer.

The skill of ruthless decision-making is overrated, anyway.