Rielle Hunter interview | Golden Skate

Rielle Hunter interview

skateluvr

Record Breaker
She was interviewed about her new book last night on ABC, I think, and I caught most of it. She was very forthright but came across to me as someone who felt every action was justified because she "fell in love." I felt she was spinning the whole story to make way for her eventual marriage (my guess) and whitewashing John Edwards after trial. The timing for book release i perfect. The child is of course sweet, innocent, clueless. I was pretty appalled at her characterization of Elizabeth Edwards. It was pretty awful given all she went through due to her husband and Ms Hunter.

I saw enough and will not buy the book. Brazenly selfish is all I could see. My mouth kept dropping open. Well John Edwards was this appealing character until all this unravelled. I must say I wish i was born with the "Rielle" gene...do as you please and never worry about what anyone thinks or the people hurt. She seems to just feel whatever is for the taking. Not much shocks anymore in this age of reality TV but her comments did make me a bit gaga.

Anyone catch this interview? Reactions?

Well, your stomach was stronger than mine in this instance, so I'm glad for the report. I could only watch snatches of it, and I read something about it. I am completely flummoxed that this woman could diss Elizabeth Edwards, whom she betrayed and who is, moreover, dead and unable to defend herself. So it's all justified because Elizabeth Edwards was not a saint? I don't care if Mrs. Edwards got around by broomstick, she is off limits for criticism by this interloper.

The stupidity of someone who thinks she'll make her book more saleable by criticizing the dead first wife! I'm curious as to whether the book's editor had any worries about that approach, and if so, whether Miss Hunter paid any attention to those worries. This woman presents a striking portrait of someone who jumps into a hole with a shovel and proceeds to dig herself in even deeper. A more inept Jezebel can scarcely be imagined.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Glad someone saw this and feels as i did. Wow. I like your last comment as it is true, and so deserved...a more inept Jezebel can scarcely be imagined! I think John Edwards approved this book as they have been seen together with daughter at beach cottage. Well, there are many liars in this saga, and Elizabeth fought cancer and kept her dignity to the end. John Edwards-where does he go from here? I wonder what his kids think of all this. Finally, his back to the wall and his big ambitions in tatters, he ackowledges his daughter.

Apparently Rielle is a priveledged (spoiled) southern lady. It sounds like she was taught she should go after what she wants in this life, no matter what. I think they will end up together, and they deserve one another in my book. I hope the Edwards children of Elizabeth are able to get through all this. Her bashing of Elizabeth was so mean. As if we will like Rielle anymore for such nasty behavior and cruel words. Since this was orchestrated to do damage control for both of them, her advisors/editors are indeed idiots. John Edwards is a coward. Great Looking, but a slimebag nonetheless.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
One of his daughters ran out of the trial after testifying against her father. She wouldn't acknowledge him. He hurt more than Elizabeth.

When folks crowned him several years back I was already getting a Kennedy vibe (didn't help that the media was also pushing the similiarities)... it's no surprising that he went all the way. I was never on that bandwagon, and I didn't follow the trial or watch anything on the aftermath. It's honestly not something I need to be giving attention to.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I didn't follow the trial, either, although I am surprised he wasn't charged with something that would stick. There were clearing spending improprieties. It was a tragedy in many ways for Elizabeth, losing her son, losing her husband, losing a battle with cancer. I think Edwards was idealistic when young but politics is a dirty business. Those who make it to the top are filled with compromises, many bad.

I thought it one of the more incredibly deplorable interviews. It takes a lot to shock...you would have to have seen it. I am guessing you'd be as disgusted as I was, and apparently, Olympia.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's not that I'm not disgusted - but I don't believe in supporting these types of interviews by watching. She gets paid to do interviews, just like everyone else. I'm not interested in the slightest.

As far as the trial - I thought it was being petty. And i'm not an Edwards fan AT ALL - not now or ever. But I don't think it would've gotten even a sniff had it not been so *scandelous* and if Elizabeth Edwards hadn't been seen as so heroic. He is NOT the only politician to hide a mistress or other "bad thing" whatever it is. That they tried to make him an example backfired, just like when Clinton went through his impeachment trial.

I'm not defending him or his actions, but there was no way he would be found guilty on the actual evidence of the "wrong"... he could've easily been convicted for being a PIG, but that's not a crime of law.

I think you're right, Toni. I didn't follow the trial except to read a few reports, but it did seem to me that though he was a pig, there wasn't much that they could pin on him in terms of legal infractions.

The thing that makes me want to vent is that awful tell-all book. The people who write such drivel boast of their "honesty," but I think they are woefully misinformed about what constitutes honesty. Honesty doesn't mean tattling on other people. Since those people don't have a chance to protest, it seems a pretty low blow to air their secrets and embarrassing moments for--let's face it--money. It's especially repellent when the so-called "author" is writing about those who are dead and can't speak for themselves. I hope Miss Hunter sells under a hundred copies in all.

I'm not much of a Tom Cruise fan, but I'm pretty impressed by the fact that neither he nor Nicole Kidman has ever talked about why they ended their marriage. The maxim "Never complain, never explain" is a great one for a public person to live by.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree about the tell all books, and these types of interviews. It just shows what big an ego they have. I'm not a fan of gossip on people's lives - personal or public. It's just not what entertains me. I'll feed myself with rumors of film projects or theme park attractions, but this time of drivel? No, thank you.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, to many, it will be of interest because John Edwards easily could have been, might have been a President of the USA. So I think if someone wrote a biography in a scholastic way, for lack of word that won't suface (my aphasia) it would be worth writing, worth telling. The Monica Lewinsky scandal must be covered, and while her book flopped, she had a right and some said a "duty" to tell her side of the story. Ms Hunter will clearly fight for what she wants, her man, her daughter and now, their images. I do not think this book is about money or will sell well, except in paperback or in sale bin a couple years hence. It is about damage control, and now is the time. Maybe they'll make a few bucks but i doubt it will sell big )I hope not as the bad prosper).

I don't know the trial facts, but how is it money was being spent and from where? To keep her in grand style. I guess I might want to know what the charges were for John, the findings, and the laws that apply. This is a former US Senator and VP nominee, so, it is history, all that he did during his campaign.

But Rielle's book is about whitewashing, cleaning her image and exonnerating John, as she clearly loves him and is still in relationship with him. Look at the timing. I feel much will be lies and she is at odds with the one person who knows all, the Andrew Young who "took care."

The case and the facts were important, I did not follow much, but I was here, flipping through TV and saw this interview. All of life is gossip much moreso than fact. And maybe it is the high ground to say people and their lives don't interest me, but I have never met a person who wasn't interested in "gossip" about somebody, be it our skaters, Tiger woods, Bill Clinton, Barbara Walters, MJackson, family memebers, the neighbors. I'm sure such a person exists, but not in my -5 years. Refuses to tell her age, lol. Someone here will gossip for sure! It is very normal to be interested in other people, and before the printing press gossip wasthe news! Fact and fiction co-exist in every story! That is why censorship is a bad thing and must be fought. With journalism and fact checking we have come to feel there are higher standards but clearly not. The Evening news on ABC<CBS< NBC is 30 mins with commercials! and after that there are celebrity news/gossip and a game show or two for a full hour. So is journalism very yellow everywhere? Are we trying to dumb down America? (yes) Are we following or leading what is on TV for example? Following. Most of the celeb interviews (Queen Oprah) were never worth watching and I didn't, but I think 20/20 did a good job and didn't let Chris Cuomo back off. Rielle was fascinating in that she seemed to have no remorse about the people she hurt-at all. And villifying a dead woman. This happens but how unfair! As Olympia excellently put it, if she got around by broomstick, how cowardly to try to detroy the image of the dead woman who Rielle helped kill. Mrs Edwards might still be alive if she felt she had her husband of 30 years. The story is fascinating and facts according to Rielle were "fixed" in this interview. Her story is fact and fiction. My mother thought she was brave to tell the truth. AT her age, she is beginning to have poorer judgement and understanding is lowere, sadly for us both. But boldness does not equal honesty and a lot of people think she is some trooper for fact over fiction! SHe is that good a liar. Again, I wish a trained therapist or forensic psychiatrist interviewed her and ripped her apart. Cuomo was no match for the pretty sociopath next door. I have read an article about all that is NOT in her book. Her history, her family of origin, etc. She is not tyrying to help us understand her or why she did what she did. Like all soxiopaths she is trying to excuse all her actions by villifying others including Edwards. And to hear her say this book is for her daughter? Vomit meter 100 plus.

It is about making Rielle look better and John more palatable. With a sociopath/narcissitic personality (and I do have a degree but could not do dissertation ( I was crushed by life/still love skating tho)) they will do anything at different levels to get what they want, and they will not feel remorseful. John's cheating was because Eliz. was a "witch on wheels" and full of ambition, and used her cancer and children to keep John from Rielle and the baby. Imagine the chutzpah of Elizabeth to want her husband of 30 years as she fought cancer with small children!

So, There are stories worth knowing and looking at in depth becuae of what they teach us. mental health workers have told us there is an epidemic in the land that fuels most others. Severe narcisissm. Rielle Hunter was a nice case study of what the culture has become and is teaching people to me. Me, Me, I , I. A picture can say a thousand words, but an interview can fill in all the gaps. This subject overlapped with Sale in FSU because people recognized (and debated) the two world views. It is off season.

Should I do as I please no matter what suffering I cause another?

Should I live by the rules (Golden rules, Ten Commandments, you get the drift) and deny what I want when it clearly damages another?

I know how I have lived and have lost much doing what is right. I suspect Olympia and Toni (in this discussion and thru other threads) strive for the Golden Rule.

Chaos, havoc, mayhem and every pain imaginable happens when we live as selfish, ego driven, self satisfiers. So, we learn (I do a lot on skating sites about people). Since I'll never skate, I'm glad we have cafe thread, as GS has many bright people. I would encourage clean debate, but I don't own the site. Wherever open discourse is welcome, the truth often rises to the surface and most of us want the truth. (see canton thread for example re our FS passions!)

How does one spell sociopath? Does America realize we were watching someone who would be dxed by any psychiatrist or Phd? Fascinating interview, repulsive, yes, but oh so much to be learned. Since I get it, I won't buy the book. It is sad that TV has far worse ways to spend your time. I barely watch, and I have a hard time finding 8 movies a year to watch. Many factors I am sure. If you become a famous Alaskan photog or a winning sled dog racer, people will want to know about you (At least in Alaska, Lol). And that Toni is as you well know, human nature of 99 percent of humans!

So while it is deplorable, it is part of the dumbing down of America. Rielle is less interesting to me than say, MK, but MK never says anything about anything. Most skaters say nothing about anything and try to look vapid etc. So that is why Skaters like Sale, Chan, Moir, Bonaly, Harding generated long threads in their day, as they actually spoke their minds or did things that surprised us, i.e. humanoid mistakes.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
^^ Please post questions /comments /concerns in the feedback folder.