Musical Coaches (again) | Golden Skate

Musical Coaches (again)

S

SkateFan4Life

Here we go again.....another coaching switch for Sasha Cohen. I certainly wish her all the best with Robin Wagner, who did a fantastic job in coaching Sarah Hughes to the 2002 Olympic gold medal. It just seems a shock to me that Tarasova decided to return to Russia at this time - just a few weeks prior to the US Nationals. I believe her when she says she is exhausted from the heavy travel schedule she embarked on during this fall season, as she accompanied Sasha from various competitions around the world. And, no doubt, Sasha was suffering from fatigue as well, which probably contributed to her mediocre long program at the Grand Prix finals.

However, as I watched the Grand Prix events this fall - and I haven't had the time to follow them as closely as I have in previous years - it just seemed to me that we were seeing the same old Sasha. This girl has an incredible amount of talent, and she takes the performance aspects of figure skating to a new level. BUT - she still cannot skate a clean long program. Her wins at this fall's competitions were marked with programs with one or more falls and/or stumbles. She still seems to have a problem with maintaining concentration.

I'm not exactly sure why Sasha left John Nicks to take with Tarasova. Perhaps she felt that she had learned everything she could learn from Nicks and needed a change. Wagner's work with Sarah Hughes resulted in numerous clean competitive performances, so perhaps this new coaching arrangement will provide Sasha with the added concentration she needs.

It seems that Sasha seems to sizzle during the Grand Prix events and then to fizzle when it comes to US Nationals and the Worlds.
This girl could win every title in the book, if she just gets her act together.