Should the ISU consider adding Solo dance at least the world level? | Golden Skate

Should the ISU consider adding Solo dance at least the world level?

Should the ISU consider adding solo dance to Worlds?

• Total voters

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
With the high number of partnerless, yet talented female dancers, should the ISU consider adding solo dance as an event at the world championships?

evangeline

Record Breaker
Before I vote, I must ask: how exactly does solo dance work? I assume a solo skater skates dance patterns like the waltz, rhumba, etc?

blue dog

Record Breaker
Before I vote, I must ask: how exactly does solo dance work? I assume a solo skater skates dance patterns like the waltz, rhumba, etc?

Compulsories (patterns) and free dance are two different competitions. You compete compulsories, crown a champion. Then you compete the free dance, and crown a champion.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'd love it, of course!

And I'd love it if there were a CD couples event for that matter.

In solo dance, do the men and ladies compete together or as separate events?

blue dog

Record Breaker
Doris, the last time I saw a solo dance contest, they collapsed it, because in some divisions, there was one man and eight ladies. If there were enough men (two or more), they run the event as is.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Would it be exclusively for ballroom dancing or would it include all dancing styles such as "So You Think You Can Dance?" does? (ballet, contemporary, hip hop, crimping, jazz, etc..)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
MW - I think how it works is they do the CD patterns solo (so the stuff we're used to seeing) and then the FD is the same as an FD for the couples - anything goes so long as it's dance.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If Lake Placid International Dance Competition (LPIDC) does streaming video again, you should be able to see lots of solo dance at various levels of expertise.

P.S. I hope they do!!!

blue dog

Record Breaker
Also--apparently, the lady steps are harder than the man's steps in some compulsory dances, so in solo dance competitions, you must skate the lady steps.

blue dog

Record Breaker
To go back a bit, Doris, I agree that the CD should come back as a championship on its own. The cool thing about the CD is if you know a CD and have tested to that level, you can compete with any partner.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The cool things about CD's are that you can go to a CD dance session anywhere at all, and dance and have a good time, whether you know anyone or not.

Back in the day, I :love: loved dance sessions!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
how does one do the yankee polka alone, though? that's a lot of crazy waving without a partner mirroring your moves...

lakeside

On the Ice
I voted “yes.” I think skaters like Takahashi and Abbott could be good solo ice dancers. They struggle with the quads but have good presentation and are good dancers. :thumbsup: