Please post worthwhile TV if you find some | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Please post worthwhile TV if you find some

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm glad to see So You Think You Can Dance back for the summer - it's only on 1 night and no results show.

I caught a commercial the other day for a show on Bravo that features Travis Wall - 2nd place of SYTYCD season 2.
yeah I'm missing it being on twice a week... there's no results show this season?!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Cheer up all. We just heard from Nielsen that we are going to be a Nielsen family starting mid July. (Ratings for whatever skating is on will go up a tiny bit :) )

skateluvr

Record Breaker
wow Doris! watch a lotta PBS, and all the skating you can find!

Toni, if you offer a show in the sport/arts arena which many here like, don't feel bad if someone reviews it as meh! It's good to share. I love the ballet thing and some will here, some won't...cest la vie.

Cheer up all. We just heard from Nielsen that we are going to be a Nielsen family starting mid July. (Ratings for whatever skating is on will go up a tiny bit :) )

Way to go, Doris! That's splendid news. One year we got to be an Arbitron family, but it was just for a week. (They're run differently; don't know if they even still exist.) I didn't get much chance to make my feelings known, and it wasn't skating season. Maybe you'll be able to make a difference for skate fans.

heyang

Record Breaker
yeah I'm missing it being on twice a week... there's no results show this season?!

Nope. Not sure how it's supposed to work. Yesterday, Nigel said that there will be a female winner and a male winner this season. Did they broadcast the Top 20 show in Alaska, yet? Just want to know so I don't spoil anything for you.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Nope. Not sure how it's supposed to work. Yesterday, Nigel said that there will be a female winner and a male winner this season. Did they broadcast the Top 20 show in Alaska, yet? Just want to know so I don't spoil anything for you.

Yep, I'm just on the Pacific Primetime... so same day, just not for fourish hours after east coast.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Did anyone catch "Breaking Pointe" on thursday? I think there are just 1 or 2 more episodes. I really want to see more ballet and less about their relationships. It is disappointing in that regard, and they are doing three ballets that look wonderful, "Paquita", "Emeralds" (Balanchine) and Petit Mort which looks so amazing in rehearsals. I wish PBS would do more ballets like they used to. It got me thinking about when Nureyev died. There was a very touching service and his coffin was draped with a beautiful textile-he was a collecter. I watched Romeo and Juliet with Margot Fonteyn that someone mentioned in another thread. He was so amazing. I did see him once. AIDs has so many victims, Erik Bruhn, and also Alexander Gudonov who was very large for a male dancer of ballet. I saw him in his prime, too. I'm sure there were so many more.

It was so nice to see Rudolf in his prime. Only Baryshnikov was in his league, at least in my memory. The Russians really did own It must be so nice to be in major cities. Ballet West is a wonderful company. Any Salt Lake people here?

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
Did anyone catch "Breaking Pointe" on thursday? I think there are just 1 or 2 more episodes. I really want to see more ballet and less about their relationships. It is disappointing in that regard, and they are doing three ballets that look wonderful, "Paquita", "Emeralds" (Balanchine) and Petit Mort which looks so amazing in rehearsals. I wish PBS would do more ballets like they used to. It got me thinking about when Nureyev died. There was a very touching service and his coffin was draped with a beautiful textile-he was a collecter. I watched Romeo and Juliet with Margot Fonteyn that someone mentioned in another thread. He was so amazing. I did see him once. AIDs has so many victims, Erik Bruhn, and also Alexander Gudonov who was very large for a male dancer of ballet. I saw him in his prime, too. I'm sure there were so many more.

It was so nice to see Rudolf in his prime. Only Baryshnikov was in his league, at least in my memory. The Russians really did own It must be so nice to be in major cities. Ballet West is a wonderful company. Any Salt Lake people here?

Alexander Godunov did not have AIDS.

I believe poor Godunov died of alcoholism, probably compounded by depression. Not a better fate than AIDS, to be sure, but we need to be factual. There were certainly enough other AIDS victims in the ballet world.

Have you ever seen the movie Witness? Godunov played a non-dancing role as an Amish farmer. He had an ease and charisma onscreen that made him look like an experienced actor. I think that if he had been better able to handle life, he could have had a successful acting career the way Baryshnikov has had.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
tks for correction-one assumes-time period, etc.
I did see that movie.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
tks forv correction=one assumes-time period, etc.
I did see that movie.

always better to research than assume ;) "for the times" especially... I remember Scott Hamilton "ranting" in his autobiography of the assumtions "at the time" that any death within the male skating community in the 80s and early 90s had to be AIDS, and the stigma that followed. It's how untrue, and hurtful rumors are shared.

always better to research than assume ;) "for the times" especially... I remember Scott Hamilton "ranting" in his autobiography of the assumtions "at the time" that any death within the male skating community in the 80s and early 90s had to be AIDS, and the stigma that followed. It's how untrue, and hurtful rumors are shared.

That's a good rule of thumb, Toni. You've made me want to go back and reread Landing It, which so far is my favorite skater's memoir, along with My Sergei. Scott has so much interesting stuff to say about skating and skaters, and he does so without any of that voyeuristic "tell-all" quality.

I've been watching Longmire, on A&E, and so far it's been rather good. One of the great assets to the program is Lou Diamond Phillips as the protagonist's friend Henry, a Cheyenne who lives either on or near the reservation and owns a tavern. Phillips was always a good actor and has continued to deepen, I think. It's interesting to see a show about law enforcement that's not in a city or a well-settled suburban area. The resources that the sheriff's office can call on are very different from the well-equipped labs and gleaming technology that dominate the CSI shows, Hawaii Five-0, the Law & Order franchise, and so on. The show doesn't portray the West as this glowing, romantic world of rich ranchers. There are a lot of hardscrabble folk, and so far the weather seems to be mostly cold and snowy. But it's not a depressing milieu, largely because of the humanity of the main characters. At least so far. The lead, an Australian named Robert Taylor, is kind of rough-hewn, very Marlboro Man looking. His partner is a woman who used to work in Philadelphia. Not sure how she ended up in mountain country, but I'm sure that will be in another episode.

skateluvr

Record Breaker

I thought Gudonov died of AIDS. In the dance community/the arts in 80, 90's, and in skating, it certainly was more likely to die of AIDS or ARC than to drink oneself to death.

He was, whatever his demons were, a wonderful dancer. It's too bad regardless of the reason.

Last edited: