Which historical moment best encapsulates what is great about figure skating? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which historical moment best encapsulates what is great about figure skating?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Exactly - skating has had so many great moments. This is one example: it's a beautiful performance, by someone who was not expected to deliver one at that point after facing a lot of adversity, and it was a true fairytale ending. Also, Awesome K&C reaction.

Yes, I'm linking to Sarah Meier's 2011 Euros free skate again. Because it was awesome and she deserved it.

SLC men was really special: great rivalry and two amazing skates by Yagudin for the OGM.

IP, you have too many messages in your inbox ;)

Fixed.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Scott and Tessa winning the Olympic Gold Medal. It is the first time in my adult life that Canadian skaters won the Olympic gold medal (Salt Lake City doesn't count because there was no joy, no celebration and no victory in that medal). Both of their skates were amazing. The paso sizzled and the Mahler made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. But the victory lap and the medal ceremony were everything I had ever hoped or dreamed for these two amazing skaters.

The other memorable performance for me is Jeff Buttle's 2008 World Championship LP. Even though he was leading after the SP, we never dreamed he would hold it together and win Worlds, especially after the disappointing season he'd had to that point. Every jumping pass was nerve wracking until the second triple axel. The program is a masterpiece, and the performance was amazing. Watching it with my friends we were all jumping up and down, clapping, cheering and hugging one another at the end. Then we toasted the win with champagne.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Whoa so many. I might add some unpopular programs or not so well known like Maria Butyrskaya shocking win at world's in the freeskate in 1999 and her hot and aggressive short program at world's in 2000. I'd add 1988 free skate of Liz Manley and Kurt Brownings casablanca. 2002 freeskate Love Story of sale and Pelletier along with the 1994 battle between G and G and Artur and his then partner - wow. Nicole Bobeck's first place short at world's. Patrick Chan's 2011 national free skate along with Joannie Rochette's 2010 free skate. almost any freeskate of Michelle Kwan. Irina's 2005 inspired long program at world's. Klimova and Pomanrenko's 1992 OGM freeskate. Riverdance by Bourne and Kraatz. Underhill and Martini's 1984 world free skate. Yuna's OGM freeskate and rochette's short program after the loss of her mom. all great skates for different reasons.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Artur Dmitriev's partner in 1994 was NOT Kazakova, it was Mishkutenok. When people make that mistake it drives me up the wall.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Scott and Tessa winning the Olympic Gold Medal. It is the first time in my adult life that Canadian skaters won the Olympic gold medal (Salt Lake City doesn't count because there was no joy, no celebration and no victory in that medal). Both of their skates were amazing. The paso sizzled and the Mahler made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. But the victory lap and the medal ceremony were everything I had ever hoped or dreamed for these two amazing skaters.

The other memorable performance for me is Jeff Buttle's 2008 World Championship LP. Even though he was leading after the SP, we never dreamed he would hold it together and win Worlds, especially after the disappointing season he'd had to that point. Every jumping pass was nerve wracking until the second triple axel. The program is a masterpiece, and the performance was amazing. Watching it with my friends we were all jumping up and down, clapping, cheering and hugging one another at the end. Then we toasted the win with champagne.

Both of those are memorable for me as well, especially Scott and Tessa's win. I actually closed my eyes during the whole performance to Mahler since I was so nervous I couldn't watch it. I was worried they'd have a freak fall and I'd have to SEE it. I used to do that during some of Elvis Stojko's performances. I did actually watch Tessa and Scott's performance in full afterward, lol. I kept my eyes open during Davis and White's Phantom, which I actually preferred, but I wanted Tessa and Scott to have the emotional win on Canadian soil. :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still giggle when I remember Todd's interview during the gala later that week, saying his mom hadn't given the medal back yet.

I never knew that! :laugh:

I just rewatched Paul's long program to Henry V last week to the Patrick Doyle score, because i was listening to the William Walton music for the earlier film version of Henry V and I wanted to compare sound tracks. Wylie's program still makes my heartbeat speed up and my mood lift. His skate perfectly suits the philosophy behind this thread, because it's technically exciting yet also emotionally engaging. It was truly the skate of a lifetime, on the night it mattered the most.

Yes, indeed! :love:

jcoates

Medalist
Men: John Curry 1976. No comment needed there. Also, Calgary 88 top men. B/C of the Brians people often overlook just how good Petrenko was in that year. His SP and FS were both terrific. Such magnificent accomplishments among all three. Honorable mention: 1980. Incredibly close battle and very good skating.

Ladies: Midori 88 (pure jumping joy) set the new standard for the sport which still persists today; 1998 Nagano that top five just gets stronger with time. 10 WCs, 7 olympic medals, tons of other titles. Honorable mention: Liz Manley rising to the occasion at home with a career best. What every athlete dreams of and an incredibly rare feat.

Pairs: G/G Calgary. Perfection that set the standard for decades.

Dance: T/D both OSP and FD Sarajevo. Vancouver, the rise of North American dominance.

meem

On the Ice
Glad to see that Blue Idealist made the 1992 Olympic pairs team correction. Mishkutenok & Dmitriev were my favorite pairs team and both their '92 OGM long program and their silver '94 LP are my all-time favorite pairs programs. The '92 was powerful skating hidden inside a serene Liebestraum; the '94 was a fiery Rachmaninoff that IMO almost melted the ice under their skates (there also was a bit of personal drama going on between those two that I believe added to the sparks on the ice ;>). I know I'll never forget those two LP's.

I'll go outside the box a bit (though I love all the examples mentioned) and cite Katia's program in memory of Sergei Grinkov, to the Mahler Adagietto. What this piece says about skating to me is that like all great art, it can both convey and arouse profound emotion. It can project adult emotions, not just the eager determination of some teenager bent on earning the highest score. (Not that there's anything wrong with that as a goal.) It can be cathartic at difficult times. It can bring people together to share an experience. It can bring light into the darkness. It can be sublime.

This isn't something you want to see in skating every time. We'd be worn out, and skating isn't grand opera, after all. But it's good to know that this is part of the potential of the sport.

krenseby

Final Flight
I'll go outside the box a bit (though I love all the examples mentioned) and cite Katia's program in memory of Sergei Grinkov, to the Mahler Adagietto. What this piece says about skating to me is that like all great art, it can both convey and arouse profound emotion. It can project adult emotions, not just the eager determination of some teenager bent on earning the highest score. (Not that there's anything wrong with that as a goal.) It can be cathartic at difficult times. It can bring people together to share an experience. It can bring light into the darkness. It can be sublime.

Do you have a YouTube link? After this glorious description of the program, I would be highly pleased to watch it ;-)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Lyra at both nationals and Olympics. It was one of the freest skates with much joy, and I love the music which I had never heard. It as about as perfect as singles skating gets.Both nights. To be fair to our other American phenoms, Sasha's debut at nationals was amazing and could easily have gotten gold were she not so green. Her 2002 SP at SLC was wonderful and full of the moves that made sasha so famous and copied. I am just thinking American ladies. Tara's performance in sp and Lp were perfect in Nagano, if a tiny bit juniorish given her size but she was amazing and I can never forget the crazy, happy, "I cannot believe this" dance in the Kand C. It was so genuine, like a child, and I guess she was. I also loved how Sarah came back from 4th, where she knew she was a competitor and threw out a free, dazzling, joyous perf. I don't know if all her jumps would be ratified under CoP scrutiny, but her music, performance and again her 'fall off the bench' 16 year old scream was unforgettable.

Seeing Paul Wylie skate to silver at Olympics and then give a string of perfect performances as a pro at gala skates or pro competitions. Paul Wylie is among the best men. I was thrilled by both Brians in Calgary. Boitano's iconic skating in Alaska in his special makes me cry. Just beautiful. I too was so happy for Rudy and his exciting skate in San Jose 1996.

Kwan's ending pose in Salome after a perfect skate still sticks in my mind on the beat and so strong. She grew up that yeaar. Lu Chen 1996 and Oly 1998 epitomizes beauty, her stature, those dimples, her beautiful, mature artistry makes those unforgettable programs. An icionic moment was when Surya did her backflip to the judges, when ending her competitive career. It may have been rude, but she was this gymnast on skates and it was pure Surya.

Joannie Rochette's Olympic SP was so good and the whole world broke down with her. Her brave smile in K and C was beautiful-those big blue eyes. Bolero was so different no one willl forget it. Oksana's SP in Norway had clips of Jane Torvill with her jaw drop. She was very pure. Both Yuna Kim and Mao Asada showing what fighters they were. Yuna had the better vehicles, but Mao was amazing, landing triple axels with those tiny limbs. I guess they were downgraded but so what. Midori Ito and Tonya must have been so happy, knowing how hard. Also people seem to forget what Kerrigan did in Norway. Beautiful, mature Sp and amazinly good LP. She was stunning, triumphant and I think robbed, but not all agree. It was still incredible what she did after the trauma she went through. A two time medalist (same ones as Mk and Irina) She does not get her due. I just loved her LP and the ending pose -it was a flawless skate, and the most beautiful skating dress of all time.

And MK doing Fields of Gold after winning bronze in SLC was the most touching gala skate I can recall, and impossible not to cry with her. Ice dance Bourne/ Kraatz exuberant Riverdance...this team was so good and so buried in the Russian dominance. I loved their step sequence. For male champions, Yagudin's Winter is unforgettable for me. This year, Patrick's Wc Aranjuez was very good, and his Elegy was the best gala skate I saw.

Daisuke Takahashi is amazing in everything and I think his Sp this year, In the Garden of Souls is haunting and will long be remembered by Dai fans. Blues for Klook is not my favorite but I willl remember it for it's uniqueness. And Ashley Wagner proved a few times this year she can be stunning and unforgettable with the right program. I loved her Swan. I wonder if she will ever have better program? I hope so.

For best Kurt, there is so much, but I love Nyah and I just am amazed at the footwork. Only Kurt, the best there ever was so far, could do Singing in the Rain. Every Kurt piece is a signature, iconic memory. For pure fun and creativity, I'll never forget Scott Hamilton doing "Walk this way." The best entertainer of his day. I always laugh at Sex Bomb. But the real deal for all time sexy guy with great feet goes to Kurt browning's "Brick House." Skate God for life. I am biased and love G&G's SOI programs by Zueva, more than their second olympics. Their first was pretty amazing. He was so tall, and she tiny, yet the joy and unison. It is still hard to watch the married couple esp post Daria as they skated together. It was always very intimate. Shen and Zhao-I can't pick one. My second favorite pair of all time. They were amazing. Hard to pick the best moment for them.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Skateluvr if you enjoyed Lyra, you might like Janet Lynn!

Two.defining moments for me were skates that did not medal:

Tiffany Chan 1984
Denise Biellmann 1980

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I love janet-sh was already mentioned in her Olympics when she gets right up. Was there a skater with more beautiful blade work than Janet? When I think of pure skating, I think of janet and Yuka Sato. I feel Yuka watched janet tapes and incorporated janet's beautiful skating. Gee, Yuka should beon my list of best skaters who never won an oly medal. I have space.

I liked Tiffany Chin but don't recall any particular performances. I guess it would be her WC gold? I love denise and remember how she kicked butt at those pro comps of the 80's and nineties. She was under rated. Long after Katt just floated around (quite well I might add, Denise would show up in incredible shape. She was an innovator and on the scene a long time. I loved watching her. Wasn't Tiffany's story marred by the mother? I'll have to look at her on Youtube. I am guessing she was the Asian skater that inspired Yama who maybe inspired Kwan and so on down the line.

deedee1

Record Breaker
While there are so many of them for me and I just can't pick up mine, I have thoroughly enjoyed each one of yours! I can picture most of them you guys mentioned.

Watching these wonderful performances via YT links now; most of which once fascinated me as a younger girl so much, I recall those days along with lots of memories of my day-to-day life; many good ones and some bad ones, and it makes me smile. Thanks a lot for that, everyone! :yes:

As for my pick, I may add a few later but how can I leave this out; one gutsy performance by the Wonderwoman who is also our countrywoman. :cool:

Midori Ito Free at 1992 Albertville Olympics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=polwvMNVgFU

Who else can throw in another 3A at 3'10"??? :bow:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yagudin and Plushenkpo rivalry, Yagudin's programs in SLC 2002
Plushenko's Tribute to Nijinsky program on TEB 2003 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfBQBUxMx5Q with American commentary, interesting :)
or on Rus Nat CHamp : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJXkfMYTX4
I don't know wich is better
Plushenko Gipsy Dance NHK Trophy 1999, first time ever, who perform perfect 4+3+2 combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aGZXEs4dIE
Plushenko St. Petersburgh 300 :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7WXLsJlAiw
first time ever, who perform perfect 4-3-3 combo
Lu Chen's Rachmaninov: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcT_FdX_66E
Oksana Baiul: Swan Lake in 1994 OG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GDdHQmcK7g&feature=related
Gordeeva- Grinkov: 1994 OG LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY7HFPSmx8M&feature=related
etc. :)

Last edited:

mary01

Final Flight