Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Scoring Requirements (TES requirements for ISU Championships, and new GP Score reqs)

Custom Title

Scoring Requirements (TES requirements for ISU Championships, and new GP Score reqs)

Debate has been raging over at FSU about the new TES requirements and how damaging they'll be to less deep federations. Indeed, the smaller federations were very shortsighted when they voted to remove the preliminaries, as the ISU Council responded with these new minimums. The basic consequence is that idea that all federations have one spot at Worlds in each discipline, regardless of how they placed the year prior, is a thing of the past. The new TES Minimums are as follows

ISU European and ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2013:
    MEN SP 25,00 FS 45,00
    LADIES SP 20,00 FS 36,00
    PAIR SKATING SP 20,00 FS 36,00
    ICE DANCE SD 18,00 FD 28,00

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2013:

MEN SP 20,00 FS 40,00
    LADIES SP 20,00 FS 35,00
    PAIR SKATING SP 20,00 FS 30,00
    ICE DANCE SD 17,00 FD 27,00

ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2013:

MEN SP 35,00 FS 65,00
    LADIES SP 28,00 FS 48,00
    PAIR SKATING SP 28,00 FS 45,00
    ICE DANCE SD 29,00 FD 39,00
    Last edited by blue dog; 07-09-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Custom Title
    It seems to me that this will make for a much smaller roster of competitors at Worlds. If countries such as, say, the Philippines can't qualify anyone in a discipline, but there's still a maximum of three that any country can send, and those spots are designated by the prior year's rankings, then the total number of skaters won't be adjusted by skaters from any of the stronger federations, isn't that so?

While I understand that the ISU wants to uphold certain standards, this is self-defeating, it seems to me. For one thing, how will skaters from weak federations ever gain international experience? For another, how will skating build an audience in countries that don't get to send skaters? Surely there's a better way to keep competitions to a high standard.

I am reminded of Chinese pairs coach Yao Bin's first trip to Worlds. He and his partner came in dead last. But it was the view of skating excellence that he got at that competition that galvanized him to build China's pairs program into the marvelous entity it later became. Would we have had Shen and Zhao without that early international effort by Yao Bin and his partner?

Custom Title
    We have the GP series for the elites but World Championships and the Olympics should encompass the whole world to include all the best skaters every nation can produce. Things go in cycles. While the U.S. is lamenting the demise of figure skating's popularity, it is currently hot in Japan, likely to continue on to China and one day back in the USA. Meanwhile, the sport should be inclusive to encourage and nurture pioneering talents from smaller newer federations. We need more hands to pass the torch around to ensure its health and growth.

As the new rules stand, does each Team Event member have to meet the TES requirements individually or as a couple?
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 07-01-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    We have the GP series for the elites but World Championships and the Olympics should encompass the whole world to include all the best skaters every nation can produce.

Meanwhile, the sport should be inclusive to encourage and nurture pioneering talents from smaller newer federations. We need more hands to pass the torch around to ensure its health and growth.

I have always enjoyed skaters from smaller federations at 4CCs and look forward to getting to see these skaters to improve in their own ways respectively each season. For instance Danielle Obrien & Gregory Merriman of Australia at 4CC was for me this past season, whose free dance to Glenn Miller medley I enjoyed and thought they progressed a lot under Pasquale and Anjelika!

Custom Title
    Since skaters have to do both the team and individual event, I think the minimum TES rule will apply to both. However, we don't know at this point what the TES minimums will be for the Olympic season.

If the field for 2013 Worlds is severely depleted because so few skaters qualified, the ISU may have to rethink those values.

Custom Title
    Is skating so crowded, so hugely popular, that we need to find ways to weed out skaters and fans? I don't think so.

At this point, it would be nice to attract new audiences and up-and-coming skaters. This policy does exactly the opposite.

Custom Title
    I also don't like these kind of limitations, especially because countries with strong skaters aren't going to be able to send more athletes. So the net result is fewer skaters will be able to experience the magic of Worlds.

The change does address something that I don't like, which is when a marginal federation can send weak skaters on the strength of one athlete, when that athlete retires the following year. As an example, someone can win Worlds and if another teammate finishes just outside the top 10, they can send 3 skaters to next year's Worlds. If that World champion retires, then the federation can send 3 skaters who cannot compete for the top placements when stronger countries can send only 1 or 2. Yes, those countries cannot send more skaters if the World champion's country sends fewer, but at least there is some correlation between the strength of the current stable of skaters and whether they can go to Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Is skating so crowded, so hugely popular, that we need to find ways to weed out skaters and fans? I don't think so.
    A smaller roster is more cost effective in lots of ways... more average joes off the street are more apt to go to an event that is *maybe* 2 hours long instead of an entire day... with skaters they don't know/aren't elite...

that's the only thing I can think for the reasoning.

The List of Skaters/Couples Who Can Compete (for now) at Worlds 2013

Men

Belgium
    Jorik HENDRICKX

Canada
    Patrick CHAN
    Kevin REYNOLDS
    Andrei ROGOZINE

China
    Nan SONG
    Han YAN

Czech
    Michal BREZINA
    Tomas VERNER

Spain
    Javier FERNANDEZ

France
    Brian JOUBERT
    Florent AMODIO
    Chafik BESSEGHIER

Germany
    Peter LIEBERS
    Franz STREUBEL

Japan
    Daisuke TAKAHASHI
    Yuzuru HANYU
    Tatsuki MACHIDA
    Takahiko KOZUKA
    Daisuke MURAKAMI
    Nobunari ODA
    Kento NAKAMURA
    Ryuju HINO
    Keiji TANAKA

Kazakhstan
    Denis TEN

Romania
    Zoltan KELEMEN

Russia
    Artur GACHINSKI
    Konstantin MENSHOV
    Evgeni PLUSHENKO
    Zhan BUSH
    Ivan BARIEV
    Artur DMITRIEV
    Sergei VORONOV

Sweden
    Alexander MAJOROV

USA
    Jeremy ABBOTT
    Joshua FARRIS
    Ross MINER
    Adam RIPPON
    Stephen CARRIERE
    Jason BROWN
    Max AARON
    Richard DORNBUSH

Uzbekistan
    Misha GE

LADIES

Canada
    Kaetlyn OSMOND

China
    Kexin ZHANG
    Zijun LI
    Ziquan ZHAO

Estonia
    Elena GLEBOVA
    Gerli LIINAMÄE

France
    Lenaelle GILLERON-GORRY
    Mae Berenice MEITE
    Yretha SILETE

Georgia
    Elene GEDEVANISHVILI

Italy
    Carolina KOSTNER
    Valentina MARCHEI

Japan
    Akiko SUZUKI
    Haruka IMAI
    Kako TOMOTAKI
    Kanako MURAKAMI
    Mao ASADA
    Miu SATO
    Risa SHOJI
    Satoko MIYAHARA
    Yuki NISHINO

Soutu Korea
    Hae-Jin KIM

Russia
    Adelina SOTNIKOVA
    Alena LEONOVA
    Elizaveta TUKTAMISHEVA
    Kristina ZASEEVA
    Polina AGAFONOVA
    Polina KOROBEYNIKOVA
    Polina SHELEPEN
    Sofia BIRYUKOVA

Sweden
    Joshi HELGESSON
    Viktoria HELGESSON

Ukraine
    Natalia POPOVA

USA
    Agnes ZAWADZKI
    Alissa CZISNY
    Ashley WAGNER
    Caroline ZHANG
    Christina GAO
    Gracie GOLD
    Mirai NAGASU
    Samantha CESARIO
    Vanessa LAM

PAIRS

Canada
    Jessica DUBE / Sebastien WOLFE
    Katherine BOBAK / Ian BEHARRY
    Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH
    Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD
    Paige LAWRENCE / Rudi SWIEGERS

China
    Qing PANG / Jian TONG
    Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN
    Xiaoyu YU / Yang JIN

France
    Vanessa JAMES / Morgan CIPRES

Germany
    Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY
    Mari VARTMANN / Aaron VAN CLEAVE
    Maylin HAUSCH / Daniel WENDE

Italy
    Stefania BERTON / Ondrej HOTAREK

Japan
    Narumi TAKAHASHI / Mervin TRAN

Russia
    Anastasia MARTIUSHEVA / Alexei ROGONOV
    Ekaterina PETAIKINA / Maxim KURDUYKOV
    Katarina GERBOLDT / Alexander ENBERT
    Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV
    Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV
    Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV
    Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV

USA
    Caydee DENNEY / John COUGHLIN
    Marissa CASTELLI / Simon SHNAPIR
    Mary Beth MARLEY / Rockne BRUBAKER

ICE DANCE

Canada
    Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE
    Nicole ORFORD / Thomas WILLIAMS
    Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR

Finland
    Olesia KARMI / Max LINDHOLM

France
    Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT
    Tiffany ZAHORSKI / Alexis MIART

United Kingdom
    Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND

Germany
    Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI
    Shari KOCH / Christian NUECHTERN
    TANJA KOLBE / STEFANO CARUSO

Hungary
    Zsuzsanna NAGY / Mate FEJES

Italy
    Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE
    Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI
    Lorenza ALESSANDRINI / Simone VATURI

Lithuania
    Isabella TOBIAS / Deividas STAGNIUNAS

Russia
    Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN
    Anna YANOVSKAIA / Sergei MOZGOV
    Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV
    Ekaterina PUSHKASH / Jonathan GUERREIRO
    Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO
    Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV
    Ksenia KOROBKOVA / Daniil GLEYKHENGAUZ
    Valeria ZENKOVA / Valerie SINITSIN
    Victoria SINITSINA / Ruslan ZHIGANSHIN

Ukraine
    Siobhan HEEKIN-CANEDY / Dmitriy DUN

USA
    Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE
    Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
    Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE
    Alexandra ALDRIDGE / Daniel EATON

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Thanks for compiling this!

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Thanks for compiling this!
    Do not thank me as I copied from other forums.
    http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...t=266&start=90
    http://blog.livedoor.jp/skatesoku/ar.../10199801.html

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    We have the GP series for the elites but World Championships and the Olympics should encompass the whole world to include all the best skaters every nation can produce.
    Wasn't it Skate Canada that threatened ISU to abolish Worlds-2013 after ISU canceled preliminaries? It seems to me that after such a blackmail ISU didn't have much of a choice than either 1. introduce high TES limit, or 2. beg Putin to say once again "That's not an expensive event" and host Worlds-2013.

I didn't follow the ISU Congress, so feel free to correct me if I got it wrong. To me the chronology of the events looks this way: small federations were childishly happy with the idea that preliminaries might get cancelled. It means their skaters will get a direct access to Worlds and free of charge, unike in preliminaries where federations have to pay to organizers if their skaters won't qualify. After the preliminaries got cancelled, Skate Canada said their word. Then the ISU introduced the high TES and small federations realized that they got screwed.

Qualification rounds exist in all major sports. It's simply normal to have them. All options that they offer now, like to take part in senior B event and get TES minimum, are not in fact the real options since they are not Worlds. What I don't get is why they cancelled preliminaries in the first place. If the reason is that some small federations in fact didn't pay for taking part in preliminaries when they were obliged to, ISU could simply disqualify those particuar federations from taking part in the following Wolrds preliminaries, unless they pay all their debts. But not to cancel preliminaries for everyone.

Custom Title
    Thanks for your hard work. Very enlightening.

The statistic about Canada's ladies brings a thought to mind. Suppose that Osmond is still the only Canadian lady with the baseline score by Worlds, and Phaneuf wins Nationals. Phaneuf can't be sent, and Osmond has to go, even if she comes in, say, fourth?

This Japanese sight has an amazing amount of results information all in one place.
    So easy to find any ISU result at the click of a button!
    http://deep-edge.net/result.php?s=2011&e=

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I want to ask sth, maybe naive but isn't the minimum score minimum enough to include skaters up and coming anyway? I mean 20 and 40 score is possible for them no? Or did sth else changed also in the rules and I ve missed it?skaters with less than 20, how many were there last worlds? Preliminaries aren't even aired on tv..
    Last edited by seniorita; 07-04-2012 at 08:24 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast