Scoring Requirements (TES requirements for ISU Championships, and new GP Score reqs) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Scoring Requirements (TES requirements for ISU Championships, and new GP Score reqs)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Does this mean that Johnny Weir has to compete at one of the B competitions in order to qualify for the GP series?

This should apply in JW's case:

c) “Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter the Grand Prix for selection of up to 2 assignments if they commit in writing to participating in 2 Grand Prix events and if such return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting. Such so called “come back skaters/couples” will not substitute any of the seeded skaters/couples, mentioned under

a). “Come Back Skaters/Couples” must not fulfil the requirements of the minimum score and would be considered for selection as a Host Country Choice. A come back under this clause is allowed only once in their competitive career for any skater/couple.

d) If a seeded or “come-back” skater/couple withdraws from an assigned event, even for medical reasons, that skater/couple will not be assigned to another event.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
This would be less of an issue for smaller federations without top skaters if there were more B internationals. This also favors Europe which has more of such competitions, where lesser skaters will get multiple chances to meet the threshold.

Country
Russia
A nice summary on a Russian forum of who obtained minimum scores in ice Dance and where obtained these minimum scores
http://fsdancing.ru/index/0-5
For Worlds: (Places for Worlds-2013)
USA - 4. (3)
Canada - 3. (3)
France - 3. (2)
Russia - 9. (3)
Italy - 3. (2)
Germany - 3. (1)
Britain - 1. (1)
Azerbaijan - 1. (1)
Lithuania - 1. (1)
Ukraine - 2. (1)
Hungary - 1. (1)
Finland - 1. (1)

So 20 Ice Dance pairs from 12 countries may be at Worlds-2013.
Same as in Free Dance Worlds-2012.

In fact - more, some pairs may earn TES before Worlds.

Last edited:
Country
Russia
She and Korpi got the minimum SP score at world's and/or European's. But they did not reach the minimum score in FP. My question is: how far back can skaters use their best scores?

Don't disturb about Korpi and Turkkila. I believe, they will visit Finlandia Trophy and earn needed TES.

Also don't disturb about Makarova's TES.
It will be one of two:
She will restore her FS and earn TES with no problem,
or
With alive Leonova, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Korobeynikova, Biryukova, Shelepen she will not be one of three best of Senior age in Nationals and on this reason will not participate in Worlds.

hanca

Record Breaker
I would understand if Makarova managed to beat Korobeynikova, Biryukova, Shelepen. Although all three ladies are in my view much better than Makarova, sometimes nerves happened and their results were not quite consistent. But I would be really, really surprised if Makarova managed to beat Leonova, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva. I am not saying that it can't happen, but I don't think it is very likely. I think in the last nationals both Makarova and Leonova were a bit gifted. In this coming nationals in December, I don't think the judges would want to give her a gift again. Leonova earned the benefit of doubt based on her results at Worlds, but Makarova's results from last year did not earn her much brownies with the judges. So Makarova probably doesn't have to worry about qualifying score for Worlds.

Mattieu

Medalist
So 20 Ice Dance pairs for 12 countries may be at Worlds-2013.
Same as in Free Dance Worlds-2012.

In fact - more, some pairs may earn TES before Worlds.

If more pairs get the TES, I am no doubt the minimum score would be raised ensure 25 maximum teams.