Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Scoring Requirements (TES requirements for ISU Championships, and new GP Score reqs)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    Thanks a lot, snowflake.

I did not read this rule change fully enough to understand myself I guess...
    So it means skaters now need to meet requirements both with SP and FP respectively. Okay. I don't know what to say, I mean what's on your mind, ISU guys???
    They can get the SP and FP requirements from different competitions.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    They can get the SP and FP requirements from different competitions.
    Thanks, SkateFiguring.

Still a shock to me indeed to learn that such elite skaters as Korpi and Makarova failed to meet FP requirement last season...

From now on, if skaters fail to score well or take a year off in a season; due to injury, illness, college, and/or some contract issues, whatever reasons are, they have to kick their own butts off to score well enough in the early season first; such as at B competitions, in order to be a part of Nats team for Worlds/Olympics.
    Correct me if I am wrong. Nats results itself does not count unless skaters get healthy/ready enough to be able to participate in ISU competitions first and score well there. ISU does not allow such making-a-comeback skaters to fully prepare for Nats by the Nats time comes no matter what. Oh, my. Again I don't know what to say.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    From how many competitions ago can they use their minimal score? Or is it just the last competition they did?
    Is there all the congress decisions somewhere in a thread? I only had read about age restriction. Have they changed levels and sequences again, cause I feel i have missed something important.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    From how many competitions ago can they use their minimal score?
    From the current or previous season, so any ISU recognized competition from the 2011/12 & 2012/13 seasons.

Most of our french team seem to have the minimum score for worlds 2013, with the exceptions of Lena MAROCCO, Romain PONSART, Daria POPOVA/Bruno MASSOT & Pernelle CARRON/Loyd JONES.
    I hope the french federation gives these skaters priority for B internationals so that they can get the minimum score.
    We need replacements in case of injuries, something the Federation seems to forgotten.
    Last edited by Mattieu; 07-05-2012 at 06:04 AM.

Custom Title
    All I can say is, thank God for Ondrej Nepela.

Really, I think this is such an ill-advised move on the part of the ISU. Skating is going to become such an exclusive sport that fans will have to take a test in order to watch...at which point I will retreat to quilting web sites and improve my stitching.

So, those five competitions are one of mandatory ones for skaters to get minimum scores in order to compete in GP series? I'm wondering about Yuna's situation who's not competing at GP yet has plans to compete at Worlds.

ITA with you Olympia, each season there's new rules to make my eyes go and

Custom Title
    Yu-Na isn't competing in the GP, so she doesn't need to do any of those early-season Senior Bs. If Yu-Na wants to compete at 4CC, she would have to establish a minimum score at a competition before that competition. Of course, the minimum scores (SP and FS TES requirements) are quite different for 4CC and Worlds. There are plenty of International Bs between the start of the GP and 4CC and/or Worlds, so she has plenty of time to choose one.

Custom Title
    The requirements are not really that restrictive. E.g. Isabel Drescher of Germany has the exact minimum SB of 113.43, and she is at #98. Lacoste (#35), Phaneuf (#39), and Osmond(#41) of Canada are all qualified so they can fill the SC host's spots.

The Men's field is much more competitive. The last one to qualify by minimum score is Romain Ponsart of France but he's at #77 and out, unless he is selected for TEB.. So is Jeremy Ten of Canada at #78 with 159.22. He misses SC host's pick by 0.22 point. The lowest Man to qualify is Petr Coufal of Czech at #75 with 160.49.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 07-07-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the numerical investigation, SF.

Custom Title
    Does this mean that Johnny Weir has to compete at one of the B competitions in order to qualify for the GP series?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    Does this mean that Johnny Weir has to compete at one of the B competitions in order to qualify for the GP series?
    This should apply in JW's case:

c) “Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter the Grand Prix for selection of up to 2 assignments if they commit in writing to participating in 2 Grand Prix events and if such return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting. Such so called “come back skaters/couples” will not substitute any of the seeded skaters/couples, mentioned under

a). “Come Back Skaters/Couples” must not fulfil the requirements of the minimum score and would be considered for selection as a Host Country Choice. A come back under this clause is allowed only once in their competitive career for any skater/couple.

d) If a seeded or “come-back” skater/couple withdraws from an assigned event, even for medical reasons, that skater/couple will not be assigned to another event.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    This would be less of an issue for smaller federations without top skaters if there were more B internationals. This also favors Europe which has more of such competitions, where lesser skaters will get multiple chances to meet the threshold.

A nice summary on a Russian forum of who obtained minimum scores in ice Dance and where obtained these minimum scores
    http://fsdancing.ru/index/0-5

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattieu View Post
    A nice summary on a Russian forum of who obtained minimum scores in ice Dance and where obtained these minimum scores
    http://fsdancing.ru/index/0-5
    For Worlds: (Places for Worlds-2013)
    USA - 4. (3)
    Canada - 3. (3)
    France - 3. (2)
    Russia - 9. (3)
    Italy - 3. (2)
    Germany - 3. (1)
    Britain - 1. (1)
    Azerbaijan - 1. (1)
    Lithuania - 1. (1)
    Ukraine - 2. (1)
    Hungary - 1. (1)
    Finland - 1. (1)

So 20 Ice Dance pairs from 12 countries may be at Worlds-2013.
    Same as in Free Dance Worlds-2012.

In fact - more, some pairs may earn TES before Worlds.
    Last edited by AlexRus; 08-10-2012 at 05:50 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    She and Korpi got the minimum SP score at world's and/or European's. But they did not reach the minimum score in FP. My question is: how far back can skaters use their best scores?
    Don't disturb about Korpi and Turkkila. I believe, they will visit Finlandia Trophy and earn needed TES.

Also don't disturb about Makarova's TES.
    It will be one of two:
    She will restore her FS and earn TES with no problem,
    or
    With alive Leonova, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Korobeynikova, Biryukova, Shelepen she will not be one of three best of Senior age in Nationals and on this reason will not participate in Worlds.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast