Averbukh: Choreographer | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Averbukh: Choreographer

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Well, it's not old information as an example of what he's been doing recently..:) within the last year is pretty recent. this isn't an Averbukh news thread , but a what can we expect from Averbukh choreography thread..and what effect will he have ,generally, on Russian skating.

I looked back at Makarova's SP.. I found nothing particularly memorable about it at the time ( which is why I had to look it up )

This is where personal taste comes in, quite apart from technical content and layout, and whether or not transitions are used. For myself , I have grave doubts about concept and how Averbukh treats it.

I really dislike the "Artist" miming bits in Makarova's program..completely unnecessary IMO. generally, I hate to see a skater pretending to play piano, violin, guitar .. conduct , pick up girls in a bar..you name it..in competitive programs. If they have to use such broad strokes to get an idea across , I'd much rather they just skated to the music. It has the reverse of the intended effect for me, taking me right out of the program.

Menshov's program was..bizarre. One had to admire his skills ( and grit ) , but it's definitely not a program I'll ever want to see again.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Well, it's not old information as an example of what he's been doing recently..:) within the last year is pretty recent. this isn't an Averbukh news thread , but a what can we expect from Averbukh choreography thread..and what effect will he have ,generally, on Russian skating.

I looked back at Makarova's SP.. I found nothing particularly memorable about it at the time ( which is why I had to look it up )

This is where personal taste comes in, quite apart from technical content and layout, and whether or not transitions are used. For myself , I have grave doubts about concept and how Averbukh treats it.

I really dislike the "Artist" miming bits in Makarova's program..completely unnecessary IMO. generally, I hate to see a skater pretending to play piano, violin, guitar .. conduct , pick up girls in a bar..you name it..in competitive programs. If they have to use such broad strokes to get an idea across , I'd much rather they just skated to the music. It has the reverse of the intended effect for me, taking me right out of the program.

Menshov's program was..bizarre. One had to admire his skills ( and grit ) , but it's definitely not a program I'll ever want to see again.

I listed Bolero, because it was his most recent venture--unless there is another that I am unaware of. If that's the case, please list it here.

As to Makarova's SP, I found it beautiful when compared to the LP. It turns out that Makarova is dumping the choreographer of her LP last year and will stick to Averbukh...

DianaSelene

Medalist
I listed Bolero, because it was his most recent venture--unless there is another that I am unaware of. If that's the case, please list it here.

As to Makarova's SP, I found it beautiful when compared to the LP. It turns out that Makarova is dumping the choreographer of her LP last year and will stick to Averbukh...

Right after Bolero was finished, he produced another ice show called Ice Age: Professional Cup.