Michael Weiss's Skating Tips | Golden Skate

Michael Weiss's Skating Tips

S

SkateFan4Life

Here's a link to the "skating tips" that are provided in the Michael Weiss offical website.....

My apologizes to all you Michael Weiss fans, but this guy's skating just turns me off competely. How many times has he skated a botched competitive program? How many times has he landed on his fanny and/or two-footed the landings of his elusive quad lutz? Geez.....and he can't even land the triple axel most of the time, either. At the age of 27, he's still trying to figure out how to skate a clean (relatively clean) program. Doesn't this seem just a little bit ridiculous? I think Weiss could be a very good pro skater and could create some interesting programs for audiences -- programs that would not be skated in front of judges. As it is, I expect to witness yet another round of sloppy long programs from Weiss at the US Nationals. Unless he falls five or six times, he'll make the World Team, and then we can sit and watch him skate yet another flawed program.

http://www.michaelweiss.org/tips.shtml

http://www.michaelweiss.org/tips.shtml

Kasey

Medalist
Flawed programs or not...the guy is 3 time National champion, a world bronze medalist, and won 3 (? I think) medals in this year's grand prix series at the ancient age of 27. I think the CoP actually suits him, and his inconsistancy. So yes, we will be subjected to more flawed programs from him at nationals and Worlds, just as we will be subjected to more overwrought, hyperdramatic arm-flailing "artistry" from other top male skaters, stiff and wooden choreography some other male skaters, and some of the most unique and wonderful presentation marred by inconsistant and missing jumps from still other male skaters. But then again....one day, ONE of these things may change, be totally different, and provide more excitement to an otherwise "predictable" competition.

Oh, and by the way, the skating "tips" seem pretty reasonable to me, for the most part.

Kasey

skatepixie

On the Ice
I agree. He is WONDERFUL when there arent any judges around. I like him when he does exhibitions....but not as a competitive skater.

A lot of his advice is good, however. He may not be the best in the world, but he is still a good skater and he's a lot better than most skaters can even hope to be.

Sadly, a lot of his tips seem to have to do with injury. This concerns me somehow.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he's got good technique when it comes to skating.... he's just inconsistant...

there are a lot of coaches who never made it competitivly that now have world/olympic medalists on their resumé... so just because they suck in competition doesn't mean their tips are going to (not that I think Mike sucks AT ALL)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Toni, reading Mike's tips I was thinking that he would be a fantastic coach. He and Lisa could be the U.S's Tarosava and Morosava (sp) coach-choreographer team.

Patti

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Oh, you know I had to respond to this one.........as far as landing on his fanny, two footing jumps, and being inconsistent with his quad, he's not the only skater whose done that before......I don't want to pick on Todd Eldredge, but he's done all of the above ........... They say the more you fly, the chances of your plane going down increases. Same goes for figure skating, I guess. The more you compete, the more likely you'll fall, or two-foot a jump. Okay, bad analogy, but you get the picture.

Michael isn't known for his humility at times, but he's lasted a long time in this sport where one day you're a champion, and the next day you might be yesterday's news. He's been around long enough to pick up three National titles, two World bronze medals, and a handful of Grand Prix medals.........not bad for a sloppy skater who skates "flawed" programs........;) 42

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
SkateFan4Life
>My apologizes to all you Michael Weiss fans, but this guy's skating just turns me off competely. How many times has he skated a botched competitive program? How many times has he landed on his fanny and/or two-footed the landings of his elusive quad lutz? Geez.....and he can't even land the triple axel most of the time, either. >

What is wrong with that? Lots of skaters do have falls. There are also lots of skaters who have plenty of fans and these skaters may even have no triple axel at all and no big wins. Not even that of a National champion...

Mike Weiss has been one of the top skaters for a long time and I have enjoyed watching his skating starting in Nagano Olympics.

WOW, great of Mike to take the trouble and provide all those tips!

Marjaana

Last edited:

thvudragon

On the Ice
Piel said:
Toni, reading Mike's tips I was thinking that he would be a fantastic coach. He and Lisa could be the U.S's Tarosava and Morosava (sp) coach-choreographer team.
:confused: Why would anyone want Lisa Weiss's choreography?

TV

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Uhm...you may not be thrilled with the programs she has done for Mike but she does have some talent and maybe would be better choreographing for another person. Being as positive person, I like to believe that there is always hope for improvement and growth. I'm sure that there are probably skaters that would be thrilled to have Lisa choreograph for them. The skating world is filled with skaters who never get close to a National or World podiums, I would think they need choreographers too. She and Mike seem to enjoy working together...it was just a thought as a posiibility for them if he retires from competition and the pro ranks don't work out. The reference to TT/M was a little joke. Not being a skater, I see it purely as sports entertainment. Other than wanting to see Michelle do well and get that OGM, and the U.S. skaters do well at the international events, skating for me is like I said a source of entertainment, not a reason to
live. :D :D :D

Piel

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Piel said:

Patti

I've had a dream about Mike ending up coaching my little brother to a world or olympic title... I dream big, for other people ;)

and Lisa Weiss is a decent choreographer... I just think Mike needs to expand and use someone else... I think Lisa's taken him as far as she can go...

sk8er1964

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
Here's a link to the "skating tips" that are provided in the Michael Weiss offical website.....

The tips do not deserve to be in "", as they were in the above post. They include very good advice - I use many of those tips already in my own skating - as do many other skaters, I am sure.

In my opinion, there is a tendency to BRAND skaters for life in the Forums. Figure Skaters can and do improve in most cases.

Joe

linnylee

Spectator
I agree with Toninichelle about Lisa's choreography. It's not bad, it just would be very interesting to see Michael do something totally different--it might bring some different dimension to his skating, and I'd really like to see that.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
I think Michael's choreography is particularly bad this season. I don't remember really enjoying his skates since he was doing Santana.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SkateFan4Life:

Michael Weiss is termed in skating as a "risk taker" type of skater. Which is not a bad thing. Elvis too was a risk taker in his competitive years - this adds to the excitement.

Weiss probably has "stayed too long at the fair" competively, but he is entertaining and would make a great show skater. He is a very athletic skater - like Elvis.