Keegan Messing's 4/3 | Golden Skate

Keegan Messing's 4/3

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Looks like the UAA rink?! (yeah I know that's what I'm focussing on? lol) From my untrained eye it looks great!

It's good to see him to continue to up his technical, I just hope he works on his artistry as well because he's a huge talent and when he puts it all together he will be unstoppable...

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't understand Youtube campaigns of practice quads from the skaters. Let us see them do those quads in their programs at the competitions.

ryanbfan

On the Ice
I don't understand Youtube campaigns of practice quads from the skaters. Let us see them do those quads in their programs at the competitions.

It's not a youtube campaign. His mom wanted to show it to the fans. I am the one who decided to put it on YouTube so I could start a channel for videos of him and possibly videos of him when he was younger.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

It's not like it's hurting anything... with it being off season there's only so much "OMG LOOK HE CUT HIS HAIR" stuff one can stomach... if it bothers one so much, perhaps not clicking on the links is a better option than trying to get something going on a harmless thread.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's not a youtube campaign. His mom wanted to show it to the fans. I am the one who decided to put it on YouTube so I could start a channel for videos of him and possibly videos of him when he was younger.

I wasn't targeting Keegan but was speaking in general about the trend of skaters putting out their practice quads themselves in YT these last couple of years. Like I said, I don't understand it.

Good luck with the channel. I'm sure many fans will enjoy them.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Some folks consider the hardships of their favorites, but I honestly don't see the "mainland" USA or Canadian senior skaters having less support than that of skaters from Alaska past, present, or future. They're still considered "exotic". Alaska may be thought of as the "land of snow and ice" but figure skating is not a popular sport up here at all. Even Boitano and KWAN couldn't get butts in the seats when they were up here. Scott Hamilton and Katarina Witt were the last show to actually make it up here, others gave up when they couldn't get the ticket sales they wanted prior to them coming.

So Keegan's fighting a larger battle than a lot of others at his level. And - not speaking of his family's financial issues, but knowing Alaskan's in general - no we aren't all millionaires rolling in the cash... it's far more expensive to live up here than down in the states. Airfare is outrageous, cost of living is far higher, and we don't have any top chorreographers or coaches (sorry Ralph) in the area. Either Keegan is talking Rory into a sweet deal or he's paying through the nose now that she's back south and not here in AK. Most of the "serious" skaters (likea handful, if that) in Alaska have to go outside for large periods of time to get the training and choreography they need. It's not as simple as others.

So, yeah, even "just in practice" - Keegan's jumps have ALWAYS been impressive (and this kid does not sit on his laurels, he skates with the same intensity and technical in shows up here that he does in competition, and the rinks are freaking SMALL).

Not trying to start up the violins, but want to give major props to Keegan - and so many other skaters who work their keesters off without complaining at all for the lack of whatever. They just do what they do.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
I could be wrong, but I don't think so. USFSA deems Alaskan skaters too expensive.

Haven't heard anything! He will be doing Liberty and Glacier Falls though :)

Oh...is that so? :disapp: I am disappointed. So is my hubby. It means we have to wait until next January to see that cool 'team Keegan' in the kiss & cry. (J-Sports normally covers US Nats LIVE here in Japan. :))

btw, I love your avatar, Toni! So cute.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Keegan definitely has a lot more to overcome than most other N American skaters. Does he have community support? He may need to relocate to train in order to contend. He is a talent and different. I wish him much success.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Keegan definitely has a lot more to overcome than most other N American skaters. Does he have community support? He may need to relocate to train in order to contend. He is a talent and different. I wish him much success.

Girdwood, Alaska adores him... but most of the rest of AK? Couldn't care less unfortunately. Like I said, figure skating is not popular up here. Can't figure out why. Though last year we (the fans) DID get the major news station to do a blurb about him at nationals... and Anchorage Daily News always does a couple paragraphs around nationals around Keegan. Last time they did a full blown article, though, was when he was a novice(?) and hit the 3A at nationals...

deedee1

Record Breaker
So Keegan's fighting a larger battle than a lot of others at his level.

One more reason to root for Keegan!
Let me put his name on my wishlist of figure skating: "Keegan Messing for US Mens CHAMPION!!!" :party:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I wasn't targeting Keegan but was speaking in general about the trend of skaters putting out their practice quads themselves in YT these last couple of years. Like I said, I don't understand it.

Good luck with the channel. I'm sure many fans will enjoy them.

There's one explanation. I know it's baffling that they do this, but because skating is a judged sport, many skaters now that youtube exists, post successful attempts of jumps because it does, as you can see, bring notice. Believe it or not, many high-level judges do go online.

I would imagine if YouTube existed in the forties, Dick Button would've had his double axel. Not only did it let the judges know that he had the jump, but his competitors needed to work on theirs.

Also, someone like Keegan doesn't have the notoriety of someone like Yevgeny, Evan, or Patrice, who can publicise new jumps during interviews. Keegan has to rely on YouTube.

Fyi- I wish it wasn't so. I love the element of suspense.

One more reason to root for Keegan!
Let me put his name on my wishlist of figure skating: "Keegan Messing for US Mens CHAMPION!!!" :party:

He's like the male Tonya Harding!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Girdwood, Alaska adores him... but most of the rest of AK? Couldn't care less unfortunately. Like I said, figure skating is not popular up here. Can't figure out why. Though last year we (the fans) DID get the major news station to do a blurb about him at nationals... and Anchorage Daily News always does a couple paragraphs around nationals around Keegan. Last time they did a full blown article, though, was when he was a novice(?) and hit the 3A at nationals...

I know of some Canadian skaters who are/were financially supported by their communities who are proud of them regardless of their ultimate level of success, be they a World Champion like Patrick, or someone with minor success nationally. I don't mean a whole state or province but a local community or a national cultural community as for Patrick.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I know of some Canadian skaters who are/were financially supported by their communities who are proud of them regardless of their ultimate level of success, be they a World Champion like Patrick, or someone with minor success nationally. I don't mean a whole state or province but a local community or a national cultural community as for Patrick.

Keegan is from Girdwood Alaska, with a pop of - I believe - less than 500 people year round... it's a skiing resort town... and the main pitstop from Anchorage to Seward.

blue_dog, the difference between Tonya and Keegan - other than sportsmanship - is he lets his skating do the talking. He doesn't give off handicaps or the USFSA wanting to go the cheaper route as an excuse. He just continues to work hard and do what he knows to do. However, I am optimistic, that IF Keegan were to laydown his programs technical like he CAN at nationals both Short and Long the judges would get him on the podium. Maybe not gold, but he'd be top four. They've shown in the SP that they're willing to place him that high.

Last edited: